Talapia

GV Jack

Snorin God
Ok you fishing types, here is a question.

Is there such a fish as a Talapia?

I have been told that Talapia in the stores is made up of pieces and parts of various different fish.

Recently I saw a picture purported to be that of a man with a record Talapia, but it looked more like a Grouper to me.

Enlighten this old man who is counting the days..22 to be exact.

I have purchased some fish in the US that is called Tilapia. I actually bought it at Pro's Ranch Market. It was a whole fillet.
I breaded it with my corn chip coating and lightly pan fried. YUMMMMM
Reminds me of Trigger in taste and texture.

Tilapia is a type of cichlid that comes from Africa. Mozambique Tilapia is probably one of the more common types offered. They are farm raised for the commercial food and aquarium markets. Some people love the flavor,mothers not so much.

Be careful with farmed talapia. A good amount comes from fish farming operations in China and they don't use the best hygenic methods. Polluted water is the big problem. There have been recent studies released on the health issues with eating talapia. I personally avoid it.

AZRob

Ok you fishing types, here is a question.

Is there such a fish as a Talapia?

I have been told that Talapia in the stores is made up of pieces and parts of various different fish.

Recently I saw a picture purported to be that of a man with a record Talapia, but it looked more like a Grouper to me.

Enlighten this old man who is counting the days..22 to be exact.

Jack you can go to the nearest canal system by your house and catch one. I call them Sh*t eaters and will never eat one, unless I had no other choice to survive. I think of them as mini carps.

Tilapia has been used as biological controls for certain aquatic plant problems. It has a preference for a floating aquatic plant, duckweed (Lemna sp.) but also consume some filamentous algae.[13] In Kenya tilapia were introduced to control mosquitoes which were causing malaria, because they consume mosquito larvae, consequently reducing the numbers of adult female mosquitoes, the vector of the disease (Petr 2000). These benefits are, however, frequently outweighed by the negative aspects of tilapia as an invasive species.

Tilapia are unable to survive in temperate climates because they require warm water. The pure strain of the blue tilapia, Oreochromis aureus, has the greatest cold tolerance and dies at 45 °F (7 °C), while all other species of tilapia will die at a range of 52 to 62 °F (11 to 17 °C). As a result, they cannot invade temperate habitats and disrupt native ecologies in temperate zones; however, they have spread widely beyond their points of introduction in many fresh and brackish tropical and subtropical habitats, often disrupting native species significantly.[14]Because of this, tilapia are on the IUCN's 100 of the World's Worst Alien Invasive Species list.[15] In the United States, tilapia are found in much of Florida, Texas, and a few other isolated areas like power plant discharge zones. Tilapia are also currently stocked in the Phoenix, Arizona canal system as an algae growth control measure. Many state fish and wildlife agencies in the United States, Australia, South Africa, and elsewhere consider them to be invasive species.[16]

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The ones you catch out of the canals are not bad eating at all. The ones imported farm raised from China... no way. About the same as a big bluegill or crappie.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Okay...I know more now than I did. Would you equate the quality of Talapia with say Cat Fish?

Thanks for the resposnses. It has kept me busy while recovering from my surgery. Nothing serious,