The Feds want your global income

Kenny

My comment was in no way political -- it was simply based on the fact that, as a country, we owe one huge pile of heaping wampum. We don't elect people (either party) that seem to want to do anything about it except add to it. And most Americans seem perfectly content with that. Detroit is just an example of what happens when the cookie jar is completely empty, but the bills still need to be paid. How long until America's cookie jar is empty? Never? 5 years? 10 years? 30 years? I dunno. But until we (as Americans) are willing to address the problem and elect people (again, either party) that will actually do something and make the hard choices to fix it, guess what? We WILL run out of cookies!
All this while one of the party's priorities is building 700 more miles of fence and doubling the number of guards on the border before they will even consider a immigration policy; the other is abortion. Do you really want to know what happened to the Motor city? read this!Detroit Reporters Criticize Right-Wing Media's Anti-Obama Bankruptcy Coverage | Blog | Media Matters for America

Kenny

This is sounding like a 'woe is me' of a bunch of old farts. There is nothing new about communities failing. True the failure of larger ones is more rare and striking but I really do not think this is a 'modern' problem related to politics. The world is littered with communities that were once thriving economic powerhouses. Ghost towns of the west and rural communities throughout the east are abundant. I drove through the Arizona town of Clifton a few weeks ago. The old town was build on mining and the area still has the largest leaching copper mine in the world still in operation. The old downtown was fun to walk through and mostly abandoned. Throughout the east, Pa. and NY you will come to an intersection of a couple of country roads and view a couple of old store fronts and a few run down homes still standing and people living there still. I always wondered why they built there in the first place. Advances in communication and transportation killed off a lot of the small communities. The acceptable drive for groceries in a horse and wagon was far less that the drive in a modern pickup truck. I think the fact is that communnities grow for a reason and when they have outlived their usefulness they die. Europe is also littered with abandoned cities, as is Mexico and Central America. Now they are called archaeology sites !!
All you have to do is follow old route 66 through a few states to see what a devastating effect the interstate had on 100's of thriving communities.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
All this while one of the party's priorities is building 700 more miles of fence and doubling the number of guards on the border before they will even consider a immigration policy; the other is abortion. Do you really want to know what happened to the Motor city? read this!Detroit Reporters Criticize Right-Wing Media's Anti-Obama Bankruptcy Coverage | Blog | Media Matters for America
Can't do it, can you Kenny? You can't hold a discussion without a liberal vs. right wing slant? Leave the politics out of it. What happened in Detroit is due to:
A) Loss of manufacturing (auto industry now all but gone)
B) Mass exodus of the tax paying population due to rampant crime, unemployment and a failing economy (aka "white flight," as commonly described). Do you know what the average response time is if you call the police in Detroit? 58 minutes. Do you know what the nationwide average is? 11-12 minutes.
C) Rampant corruption amongst elected officials.
D) Overly generous union contracts/retirement/benefits. What's ironic is that the union folks will now be on the bottom of the totem pole in the bankruptcy settlement. Those folks are screwed, no other way to put it.

These are the basic facts, no matter what the left/right said or did. THIS is what killed Detroit. By the same token, it's what can kill America, too, unless we stop shipping all of our manufacturing across the globe, take a long hard look at revising our tax code, balancing the budget, paying down our debt, stop playing "world police," and stop electing our leaders based on a particular social agenda, instead of ones that will do what needs to be done to fix America (be that left/right or somewhere in the middle).

Roberto

All you have to do is follow old route 66 through a few states to see what a devastating effect the interstate had on 100's of thriving communities.
That's kind of the point I think. While it destroyed many communities and businesses the interstate has had a positive effect on other communities and businesses. Good and bad are always related.

Kenny

Can't do it, can you Kenny? You can't hold a discussion without a liberal vs. right wing slant? Leave the politics out of it.
Ha, it's telling that when the Hooch and others bad mouths the president with racist crap and other political junk you don't seem to notice or mind Stuart. What, you think that's not noticed or reflects on the moderators bias and politics?

Take a vacation, Kenny. Enjoy! We've had this discussion before. And as soon as I see Hooch's or anybody else's political crap, it gets edited or deleted, too. Buh-bye!