The Friendly Dolphin

I've eaten here for years. Always thought the food was good and the service good. A little on the expensive side but pretty much on par for restaurants in RP. I've never heard this place mentioned in this forum and its in nobody's top five or whatever. What gives? Something going on here I don't know about?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I got sicker than 2 dogs there many years ago. I was so sick that I wished I was dead. I laid on the bathroom floor for 2 days 'cause it wasn't worth getting back in bed for 5 minutes between bouts........

I haven't had any problems there with the food. The service has been good at times, and terrible at others. ....very inconsistent. I have to admit, I haven't been in there for a couple of years.

As for prices....many of the restaurants in Penasco have become overpriced....especially when ordering seafood.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Seems like there's a love/hate relationship with that place. I don't hate it, but after so-so food, terrible service and a check that made my eyes bug out, I took my business elsewhere and haven't returned in years. I tend to vote with my wallet in that regard.

Service and quality have gone waaaay downhill, and what really pissed me off the last few times I've gone is they had the top floors closed off, you could only sit in the first room on the right, which now has pretty much no view. What's the point of going there if you can't even see the ocean or all the neat memorabilia, architecture or vintage Penasco photos? Since business overall has picked up they've had everything open, but that was a real bummer since the beginning of the year.

The last time I went in was with my daughter. We went into one of the downstairs rooms that was open, and had window side tables available. Sat there for about 15-20 minutes without anyone coming over for us to order drinks, etc. Finally went looking for a waiter...and was told that they were not serving in that room! Several waiters that were standing around saw us go into that room...never said a word!

JOE! Had a similar experience. Got up and left after being in there for 15 minutes, then asking staff who was our waiter, they all thought someone else was taking our table, then 5 minutes later, still nothing. My friend was embarrassed that we were leaving and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but for chrissakes, the place was almost empty. And 3 people working that night even remembered me by name as we came in! Very sad...but this is why I still went back a couple of weeks ago for drinks only, for the atmosphere of the building, and giving them the benefit of the doubt. And I order my drinks with the first person I see, whomever seats me, then multiple times if they don't arrive to the table quickly.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
My sister and I would always meet at the Friendly Dolphin after I drove in from CO and she drove in from CA. If the upstairs would have been closed, we would have gone somewhere else. Food generally good, margaritas big! Nothing special. At Flavios, I had my little rescue pit bull and they let her come on the patio, and the waiter brought her water and meat. Guess where I will go next time. It's all about how you are treated...if you feel special, you will return, and the smart ones know that. Being ignored definitely is not special.

G

Gallos

Have never had a meal that I really enjoyed there. Tried 3 times and gave up after several years ago we were approached in the restaurant with a Mayan Palace pitch. That was it! It is so cute and so disappointing.

Thanks for the feedback. I've never been sickened there and the service has always been stellar. The place is always dead. Everytime I go there, the place is empty. I do however love to indulge in the Chicken Lafarga, a couple-three ceviche tostadas and a couple-three ron y cocas! Never had any complaints!

A

AZ Miguel

Everytime I eat ceviche in Mexico it takes me a week to get over it, no more ceviche for me sob.

wendell

We kept trying this place but have not been back in several years. Very average food with very above average prices and crappy service. there are just too many other places much better than this, in my opinion

mis2810

I've eaten there 3 times. Never got sick, but the service sucked and it was way over priced. Won't be going back. Same goes for Playa Bonita restaurant and the Lighthouse. All those restaurants are completely overrated. I love me a taco stand on the street any day of the week! We eat at tiny little hole in the wall places, Pollo Lucas, or at home now and that's it.

I've always had great experiences with the restaurant inside Playa Bonita, though I've only eaten there for breakfast. And speaking of great views...Yeah, skip the Lighthouse, head a few steps up to El Capitan for margs and an app. I'd go elsewhere for an actual meal as the food there is pretty bland and a bit overpriced. Great service, though!

Last time there was Oct. it took 15 minutes before anyone came our way, finally we ordered drinks, after 20 minutes nothing arrived, Our party of 8 got up and left.
Went to The Point in old port. Had our drinks in 3 minutes and were eating 30 minutes later. Food was fine, drinks were better.
The UnFriendly Dolphin lost my business. There are more than a few decent places eager to serve and entertain you in Penasco.