The Last Vaquita?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Glad we have none of that in the US!
Not saying it doesn’t happen, but we have a lot more game wardens, rangers, and such and the penalties when caught are pretty damned steep.

First time I caught a totauva years ago, I was scared shitless. Didn't even want it in the boat. Tried to revive it and release it, but it inevitably went belly up. Another boat came over and grabbed it. Told them it was totuava. They laughed and said "Catch, fillet and release!" and off they went.

These days, they've come back in big numbers and some days we catch and release many, or just pull anchor and move to a different spot to get away from them.

Bottom line is: It's not us sport fishing guys that are causing the demise of the vaquita. Truly is the cartels and the gill nets. Said it before - give me three well armed large center consoles with good electronics and this shit would end. The professor is correct. There is simply no will to enforce the law, mostly due to money going into someone's pocket.

Sad. :(

gringorio

Estero.........

We counted sixteen full sized trawlers in that area today at around two PM on our way back to Yuma. Stopped on the cliffs near Campo Las Brisas and checked them out with binoculars, all were in full bottom drag mode with outriggers out and trawls deployed lazily scrapping what might be left on the bottom out there.

So much for the "protected zone".

We did find a freshly dead adult Vaquita yesterday on the beach near the tip of Salinas Point.

More on that manana!

JJ
Hey JJ, can you post photos of that dead vaquita?
Estero.........

We counted sixteen full sized trawlers in that area today at around two PM on our way back to Yuma. Stopped on the cliffs near Campo Las Brisas and checked them out with binoculars, all were in full bottom drag mode with outriggers out and trawls deployed lazily scrapping what might be left on the bottom out there.

So much for the "protected zone".

We did find a freshly dead adult Vaquita yesterday on the beach near the tip of Salinas Point.

More on that manana!

JJ
Hey JJ can you post photos of that vaquita or message me with any photos?

jerry

Well Known Member
More spill over: from a Baja forum " Can anyone living in San Felipe shed light on the situation regarding the local fishermen and the Mexican government's desire to protect the endangered species known as La vaquita marina? With all due respect to everyone involved, I would caution anyone who plans to go fishing there as tensions are running very high with protests including hunger strikes on the part of some of the locals. Insults towards Americans fishing there for sport are also being levied vía social media, as well towards the local, state, and particularly the federal government. Please no disparaging remarks. In fairness to all, I would appreciate any discourse here to reflect facts that serve to inform and promote respect and safety. Thank you in advance.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Last sunday afternoon saw a Mexican Navy ship out maybe ten miles offshore at the Campo Las Brisas turnoff. Appeared to be just drifting.

Coming down the hill into El Golfo twenty minutes later saw six pangas coming ashore at speed with their "in broad daylight" catch.

Might consider the new tally at less than ten today.

And as Mexican "logic" will certainly prevail, once they are gone all of the restrictions will be lifted and the ToTo bladders will hit an all time high. Until the last dozen ToTo's are gone as well.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
JJ, when my environmentalist friend married her geologist boyfriend at ST five years ago everyone got so drunk and party mad the days before they dropped the ball on the food....it fell to me and adolfA the guard to rustle up the grub. The beautifully prepared Sinaloans style White Sea Bass was actually a ToTo....if they ever find out they will kill me!

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Still food................

Thirty two whole stinking rotting Totoabas pitched into two or three fifty five gallon drums, guts and all, twenty or thirty pounds of salt, a few pounds of garlic, a few pounds of scorching chilies, topped off with fresh sea water, then three or four months simmering in the desert sun. Before long got some serious delicious Nouc Mam.

The locals in Little Saigon, El Cajon, CA will pay dearly for it!

I've actually acquired a taste for it. Especially to mask the reek of the decayed Cabrilla that they sell at the Malecon.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Too little, too late.

10 years ago, this could have made a difference. Maybe.

The gill nets will kill them all.

Kelney

Well Known Member
The could turn the entire SOC into a protected area and it would not matter. They can not enforce the area that is protected already.

jerry

Well Known Member
They all weren't Totoaba? No honor amoung genocide aiding gangsters I guess...That moment you get that tap on your shoulder to come with the police in a foriegn land stays with you forever