The Otherside of Cholla Bay

Very Cool, Thanks for putting up the video, i have always wondered what the beach was like. Next time down i am going to get the kids and head over for a day trip. THANKS

that video barely shows all the shells and other neat stuff like fosils... definately a day trip... we spent over 5 hours between kayaking and looking for sea shells... be sure to pack a lunch, plenty of drinking water and sunscreen...

thanks for watching... and have fun...

cholla

Hey, I think I saw you guys last weekend. I was throwing a lure off off Pelican Point and there were 2 kayakers fishing about 50 yards out, must have been Mon. evening.

John

hey John... it could have been us we don't fish from the kayaks but we do just sit for some long periods of time often, just in awe of the beauty of the bay...

we were out yesterday for over 6 hours, free diving and just yaking back-n-forth... but that's another video....

thanks for watching...

D

domromer

Thanks for posting that video. I was always curious what the other side of the bay looked like. I might need to bring the kayak down next trip and check it out. Are the winds in RP generally calmer in the summer or winter?

I'm happy you enjoyed it... thinking of heading there today, we went the other direction yesterday... the winds picked up for our paddle back to the ramp in cholla, had some big rollers and a few whitecaps, but that just adds to the fun...

it would be cool to have you join me for some paddling when you visit, if you're interested....

about the winds... I always say when the wind BLOWS in Rocky Point... it SUCKS...

D

domromer

Funny wind/stingray story

The very first time my wife and I went to RP we stayed at Sandy Beach. We were exploring town and ending up finding La Jolla. It was amazing. The water was crystal clear, and flat like a lake. It was probably 75f. Just a perfect day. We brought our ultralight fishing rods as thats all we had. The fishing was incredible. We either caught a corvina or a Pompano on every cast. Just amazing! The water was so clear we could see the stingrays bursting out of the sand with every step. We went back the next week, the wind was howling, and we fished 4 hours for one flounder and some needle fish. In all the hundreds of times I've been to RP I only had one weekend of no wind and excellent fishing! Luckily I like to go clamming so I'm never totally skunked!

Kenny

Luckily I like to go clamming so I'm never totally skunked!
It's been a couple of years, but I like to chase the tide out gathering clam's on the way, and then hustle back to my favorite spot on the rocks to catch some fish on the incoming. Clam's and fresh fish that you've caught yourself, along with a nice salad makes for a very satisfying day:sunny:

It's been a couple of years, but I like to chase the tide out gathering clam's on the way, and then hustle back to my favorite spot on the rocks to catch some fish on the incoming. Clam's and fresh fish that you've caught yourself, along with a nice salad makes for a very satisfying day:sunny:
you're making me hungry... tide's not very good tomorrow for clamming... but it would be great for diving and fishing... I know of a rock scallop bed I should check out... and I know where I can poke-a-pargo with my hawiian sling... thanks for the dinner suggestion Kenny... :chef:

Kenny

you're making me hungry... tide's not very good tomorrow for clamming... but it would be great for diving and fishing... I know of a rock scallop bed I should check out... and I know where I can poke-a-pargo with my hawiian sling... thanks for the dinner suggestion Kenny... :chef:
Don't bother me, I'm eating..:lol:

Kenny

I'd just be shot on sight

Poke a Pargo? Is that something she charges for watching?
Dog gone... I thought of 10 different funny things to say about that exchange between you guy's, but without seeing my smile, and the gleam in my eyes, I'd just be shot on sight.:p

Last edited:
Dog gone... I thought of 10 different funny things to say about that exchange between you guy's, but without seeing my smile, and the gleam in my eyes, I'd just be shot on sight.:p
kenny uhm duh... what do you think those smileys are for? that gleam in your eyes makes me wonder what you been smokin... :wink:

and it wouldn't matter what you say... we'd still want to shoot you anyway....

Kenny

he stuck a Hog!

Poke a snapper?
With a Hawaiian sling. Check it out, he stuck a Hog! http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/hawaiiansling.html

This is a good explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polespear

I used to have a blast with mine off the Cali coast, especially around Crescent and Emerald bay in North Laguna beach. Lot's of rock points with sand between the rock structure and of course "sh!! rock" a small bird island that's a federal game preserve. It even has a large population of Sea Lions on it.

I didn't hear that remark, Mark....

Last edited: