The Police in Ajo

P

Penasco Pirate

Have you guys seen this truck? More people see it coming and move than want to get behind me! I've been stopped, too. Headlights too high (trailer weight), no mud flaps...both warnings. Squeeked thru the border with a minute to spare! All the guy said was he was bored and wanted to talk! I even mentioned the border clocing at 12:00! Anyway, maybe mine would be a good tester of the tailgate thing?

Pic taken last year at La Pinta beach...had to run it hard, only had 2 wheel drive at the time!

Kenny

Hey Kenny, you got a problem with ugly pickups? So much for my Old Faithful...
That's not it at all..:???:

Joe has a nice rig, it's just that it attracts cops and fussy border border agent's like a beached whale attracts flies.

Last edited:
That's not it at all..:???:

Joe has a nice rig, it's just that it attracts cops and fussy border border agent's like a beached whale attracts flies.
Now come on Kenny....get the story straight....it was ADOT....not the border agents.....but that was another story....and another "WHINE"!!!:p:p:p

I just needed to vent and do a little whining.....I know about the cops at Ajo....and I follow the speed limits there religiously....probably pissing off anyone driving behind me.....but it just pisses me off when I'm making excellent time driving down that I get stopped for 15 minutes on some whim of the cop.....I could have been a wise ass with the cop...but with no other witness except my dog, it would have been a waste of time.....my time!

don

Thanks for the info, I had no idea about a shortcut. The only time I had any issues in Ajo was heading north, and a DPS officer gave me the hand down sign to slow it down. Geez, I feel lucky now! I'll be on the shortcut, thanks for the tip! And the warnings!!!

Boy it's a sad day for Rocky Point when there's more talk about the police in Ajo than there are things going on in Rocky Point.

(by the way I have been tailgated by the Ajo cops too and I was thinking of using my camera the next time it happens,,, and maybe have my cellphone dialed to 911 and on speakerphone when he stops me...)

Last Nov. I went to RP with my wife (Sunshine) and granddaughters. I approached the gas station in Why doing 35-40. A truck with a trailer cut me off, coming out of the gas station. I moved to the right to pass as he was not even moving. Well, a deputy was coming from the other direction, spun around behind me and pulled me over. I had crossed the double line. This occured past the station, so no problem interfering with other cars. I gave him all the paper work right away and explained the other guy cut me off. Took him a while to return and he gave me a ticket. My granddaughters were scared that I would be hauled off to jail. My record was clear, I was polite and thought a warning would suffice. The other guy should have received the ticket.

I was so angry, I emailed the local sheriff's office and explained my concern about this old deputy and his demeanor. They actually called me to see about the problem. Nothing could be done about the ticket, but they would investigate.

If you run into the same problem with them, get their badge number and email the office with your complaint. Maybe there is power in numbers

Mel (Sunshine's husband)

It's me again, Sunshine's husband. Returning to Phoenix, driving through Ajo in our MH we were passed by a car. A sheriff's car was up the road from this car who passed me. The car followed the sheriff's car for a mile and the sheriff's car pulled over on the dirt. I was coming along right behind and all of a sudden the sheriff's car peels out and cuts me off. I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting him. I leaned on the horn (didn't care). He took off after the car that passed me. Very dangerous maneuver. I didn't get his plate number so I could not report the incident.

I swear that the Ajo sheriff's department (is it Pinal County??) must get their personnel from Sheriff Joe's rejects!!

A couple of years ago I was drving back from RP late in the evening (dark) and it was drizzling. Several miles south of Ajo I saw several flashing lights on the left side shoulder. As I approached, I slowed down to about 30-35mph since the vehicles (police car & tow truck) were on the opposite shoulder and there didn't appear to be any obstruction on my side of the road. All of a sudden a deputy stepped out from the dark shoulder on my side of the road waving a flashlight at me, right out onto the roadway. With the bright lights from the other side of the road and glare from the rain, I didn't see him until almost too late. I did avoid hitting him. About a mile later, there is a police car bearing down on me and he pulled me over. The deputy proceeded to read me the riot act, threatening to impound my vehicle, and arrest me....all for his stupidity of stepping out onto the roadway! After running my license and plates, he let me go after a few minutes because he claimed that he had a call to cover!

Yeah it is sad that all we have to post is about the Ajo cops....but it's been DEAD in RP the last 2 trips down this month!

Last edited:

jerry

My partners neighbor quit his job with the ajo police dept. last year after finding out the local narcos had his picture and a map to his house at their RP headquarters. I guess the speed traps kill time in a manner that doesn't endanger them or their families.

Hooch

Ajo is a podunk town run by crooked cops that would rather mace helpless drunks in the Elk Lodge than do any real work at all.

Terry C

They even once had the old man on the 3 wheeler bike with the flags and stuff pulled over for riding on the wrong side of the street. LMAO.............