The thirsty parrot

T

THE THIRSTY PARROT

Parrothead Paradise just a little west of Key West. They offer $1.50 national beer, $2.00 well drinks and bloody marys and the best margarita on the Malecon, which is FREE if you spend $7 in food. The menu is really different, specialty dishes like tequila lime shrimp and caribbean crisps are especially popular. A/C or the palapa covered terrace is where to be for sunsets. Open 10 to 11 Friday through Monday. During summer months, closed Tues, Wed and Thur. Back to our normal schedule in October, look for special performances by ALONZON (October), STINSON BROZ. (November Bike Week), ROB MEHL (Thanksgiving weekend); TOMSON & PARISH (New Years Eve), and B R E N T B U R N S (February 2010).

T

THE THIRSTY PARROT

Yes indeed and martin the bartender from mayan resorts

P

Penasco Pirate

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the trip...great people here, enjoyable atmosphere, too.

As for the parrot, big thumbs up! Everybody there is friendly and they got BUFFETT!! Cathi we need to get you some Roger Clyne, too!

The kitchen is a nightmare there as I have been hosed on two occasions with soggy lifeless fries and overcooked crappy wings. Martin and now Ricardo are nice guys but the food makes me want to cry

P

Penasco Pirate

I have lived in the resturaunt and have no issue with the food...the kitchen is hell and the girls and I are going to fix that! Summer in the cocina can get to 120* easily, so some fixin' is in order. As far as the soggy fries and crappy wings...ever hear of the saying "If you have a problem, tell me. If you like the place, TELL EVERYONE!" ??? You could have resolved the situation without posting here! I'm sure the owners of PP resturaunts aren't looking for ANY bad publicity, especially with the economy the way it is. RANT OVER, back to the happy.

I have lived in the resturaunt and have no issue with the food...the kitchen is hell and the girls and I are going to fix that! Summer in the cocina can get to 120* easily, so some fixin' is in order. As far as the soggy fries and crappy wings...ever hear of the saying "If you have a problem, tell me. If you like the place, TELL EVERYONE!" ??? You could have resolved the situation without posting here! I'm sure the owners of PP resturaunts aren't looking for ANY bad publicity, especially with the economy the way it is. RANT OVER, back to the happy.
Barb and I ate there yesterday and the food was great and the view is awesome...

Ditto that Mark! Bruce and I ate there and thoroughly enjoyed it-and he can be rather picky. We pigged out and still had leftovers! Loved the view, the environment, everything..........even bought a t-shirt which I wore while we were in San Diego for the game! (Should have worn it TO the game-maybe it would have helped??!!!!!!!!!). Once again, so good to meet you and Barb. BTW, we'll be back down in May so I'm already starting a donation box of school supplies and various things.

That is so cool Thank You Julie... It was such a pleasure to meet you and Bruce over the Holidays, I only wish we could have spent more time with you... these were the busiest Holidays for us by far, and the most fun... Barb and I are looking forward to seeing you in May...

Thanks once again for the toys you made several young children very happy at Christmas...

Reid

Did you tell anyone at the restaurant? Or did you just pay the tab, go home and hose them on this site? Imagine inviting guests over to your house for dinner. They leave and you think they enjoyed themselves. The next day, bingo, there they are slamming your hospitality on some post.

Did you tell anyone at the restaurant? Or did you just pay the tab, go home and hose them on this site? Imagine inviting guests over to your house for dinner. They leave and you think they enjoyed themselves. The next day, bingo, there they are slamming your hospitality on some post.
First of all....which post/poster are you referring to?
Second, we are not talking about a guest/friend to your home and a "hospitality" issue...we're talking about a business. It s not the responsibility of a customer to correct problems with the food or service at an establishment....and you are out of line trying to criticize the poster!
Third...not everyone wants to get into a potential confrontation with employees or managers of a business...so they just leave.....talking with their tip, or lack of tip, and then relaying the info to those they know! I've been in situations where I returned the food because it was not prepared properly, or even done....and have seen the mood of the server change, or it takes twice as long to get my food. There are times when I just say to hell with it, and not bother, and never go to that establishment again.

I've given a poor critique to one of the establishments in Penasco that others have ohhed and ahhed about. What is the point of talking to the management when one of the owners was the "problem" and reason for most of my criticism, and another one of the owners has a "don't give a damn attitude" towards customers?

Roberto

Everybody is aware that no restaurant serves excellent food and provides great service ALL of the time. Then of course individual taste differs. Some might like soggy fries! My least favorite response to hear when I have a problem is "Well eveyone else likes it".

A

AZ Miguel

First of all....which post/poster are you referring to?
Second, we are not talking about a guest/friend to your home and a "hospitality" issue...we're talking about a business. It s not the responsibility of a customer to correct problems with the food or service at an establishment....and you are out of line trying to criticize the poster!
Third...not everyone wants to get into a potential confrontation with employees or managers of a business...so they just leave.....talking with their tip, or lack of tip, and then relaying the info to those they know! I've been in situations where I returned the food because it was not prepared properly, or even done....and have seen the mood of the server change, or it takes twice as long to get my food. There are times when I just say to hell with it, and not bother, and never go to that establishment again.

I've given a poor critique to one of the establishments in Penasco that others have ohhed and ahhed about. What is the point of talking to the management when one of the owners was the "problem" and reason for most of my criticism, and another one of the owners has a "don't give a damn attitude" towards customers?
I saw the post by Reid and was going to reply but figured why bother, glad you did RPJoe because it saved me the trouble of what I also had exactly on my mind. I'll just add one more to this response and say that this thread although posted in the "Restaurant Reviews" section was not a review, it's a plug by THE THIRSTY PARROT! They started this thread!. I don't care what the restaurant is, your not going to make everyone happy, and if you're in Mexico serving food to Americans chances are you're going to make even less happy.

Just some more rambling on my part and this subject.....I ate at the Thirsty Parrot once....several months ago. I can't recall what I had...don't recall that it was bad (that is something I would remember)....but not memorable right now. I will probably try it again sometime. If the food is not acceptable, will I complain to the management???...that will depend on the circumstances, what my plans are for after the meal, who I am with, etc. etc. etc. If the food is good, I will definitely recommend it to others.

Just as a comparison.....my first visit to Penasco was somewhere around the 1984-85 timeframe...stayed at the Vina del Mar when they only had the ground floor built facing the ocean, and the restaurant...no pool. We ate at the Costa Brava across the street (way before they had the explosion). Had the shrimp wrapped in bacon, deep fried, with a wonderful cheese sauce. I used to try to go there every visit for that same dish. Even continued to go after a bad experience with some mexican customers(appeared to be one of the "well-to-do" locals) who let their child run around the entire restaurant, crawling under tables, and aggravating everyone else there (including my daughter, who was only about 10 at the time, but had some knowledge of what was acceptable behavior in a restaurant). The staff made no effort to get the parents to control their little monster!!! (Yeah, I know....not quite part of a restaurant review!!) Well, some years after the explosion, they reopened the restaurant further down off the malecon...so I tried it with my daughter and her friend. Had the same dish.....but a couple of the shrimp were still raw! Did I complain to the management?....no....just ate the shrimp that was cooked, paid and left. Didn't see the point of having to subject my daughter and friend to waiting another 15-20 minutes to get my food. Never went back again. I see that the Costa Brava is gone! Is that because of one person telling friends of his experience there? I highly doubt it. Probably because enough people didn't like the food there. OK...you can all go back to the regularly scheduled programming....:rofl:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I do agree with both of you, RPJ and AZM, however with the difference that if the owner of the establishment is someone I know I would let them know as to improve the bad situation for the future.
I am a firm believer that you can only improve what you know if other let you know about the wrongs, 'cause in your eyes it is perfect!!
The same way I do praice?sp the good food and service I get in different restaurant/businesses I also let them know when something is not right from my point of view as constructive criticism, some people might not know how to do that and feel more confortable doing it the way "reid" descrives it :eek3:
I probably should go to the thirsty parrot and try their food, is it a mexican or american food restaurant? that is the question

Last edited:
I do agree with both of you, RPJ and AZM, however with the difference that if the owner of the establishment is someone I know I would let them know as to improve the bad situation for the future.
Ink...I agree...if I know the owner or manager, I will let them know if anything was unsatisfactory....the food, service, whatever...but that is because I have some kind of "relationship" with them....and they know I'm not the typical complaining gringo!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The Costa Brava was never the same after it reopened. I went twice and was deeply disappointed. It used to be my favorite place....