Thefts at PDO

jjohan2

Just a heads up. I am at PDO this week and today 2 kids a boy and a girl were panhandling on the beach. The 12 yr old boy was asking for moneyto buy shoes since the ones he had on were his older sisters. The girl with him was offering to wash windows for $2-3. When we asked the office, they said they should not be in the park and they suspect them of being responsible for some thefts at the park. When my Dad returned to the beach, the boy had my Dad's sunglasses in his hand. They are very forward and pushy.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah, some of the street urchin kids... geez. A couple trips ago, one approached my truck, asking for money for comida. I keep several bucks in loose change and pesos in my cup holder just for such things, like the Red Cross and such. So, I grabbed a handful of change and handed it to him. He quickly sorted through it, shoved some in his pocket, then threw the rest back in the window at me while screaming "NO PENNIES!" I was like WTF??? Next time, I'm just gonna run the ungrateful little bastard over!!

Yeah....just like the people (and kids) at the border looking for a handout....they "EXPECT" you to give them money.....you OWE it to them!!!

He hasn't been washing windows in a while!!! One of my fears at the border is wiping out someone with my truck mirrors.....they just about dare you to hit them!!!

It's a shame the 1 armed guy in Sonoyta stopped doing windows, he did a nice job. Didn't mind paying him for it, he earned it.

Terry C

Rumor has it he married the well dressed lady with the walker and they are going to live happy together in the big house on the hill.

El Gato

Louisa Fleisher used to deplore giving begging kids money - that generally it was a con game and only made things worse. A couple of times found our kids selling Chicklets to tourists with Roberto giving a sob story about needed to feed his little sister. They would look at my blond, blue eyed daughter and try English with her. She would shake her head and say, "Yo no hablo español". Needless to say, we told them to immediately cut it out. They were just little kids then and thought it was a game. In the forty and fiftys I don't remember any adult begging for money - they did offer to wash your windshield however (notice I said "asked").

Roberto

A few years ago I was walking on Calle 13 and one of the street guys, a short well spoken gent that I had known for some time, walked with me to the door of Dunas then asked me for some money. I gave him a buck, he looked at it and said "Only a dollar, I can't even get a taco for that." I replied "What did you do that I should pay you" he replied "I walked you down here didn't I" . I still laugh about that one.

I try to avoid the intersection of Calle 13 and Benito Juarez because of the 'solictors' there.

ddez

We where at PDO first part of the month and the office said they where having some problems and for us not to leave anything outside

Kenny

I've been saying for years that when the kids stopped asking if the could clean your windshield, and instead started selling Chicklets it was a precursor to some bad times ahead.
I remember kids jumping up on the running boards of our Pontiac Station Wagon one evening in the mid 50's as we pulled up to a Catina Restaurant. They open the front door for us, and even saw us to our seats. It scared the crap out of my little sister, and just amazed me. Who knows Roberto, it could be one of those kids grown up who "walked you down here".:mrgreen:

I give to the Red Cross in PP and to the one arm guyin Sonoyta and that is it.
The Red Cross has helped me here and so they will always be on my good list.

Hey Bill....do you realize that on a regular weekend....the one armed guy probably makes more just standing around than the common worker does in Mexico in a week?

That's probably the case for any panhandler...even in the US!!!

Last edited:

CJ*

ya know - i always had the one-armed guy wash my windows and he did a very good job. paid him good too... i was sure disappointed to see him give up work for the hand-out position...

cholla

ya know - i always had the one-armed guy wash my windows and he did a very good job. paid him good too... i was sure disappointed to see him give up work for the hand-out position...
I always had the one armed guy clean the window in my truck as well, I told my kids that I would pay him because he is working for it and not just begging like some liberal, then one day he was there with no washer and just a hand out. My wife rolled down the window and asked him why he was no longer washing the windshields. He told us that the arthritis in his good arm was getting so bad that he could not do the work any more, now I still give him something when we go by.

John

Valerie

FYI...We just returned from a 10-day stay at Playa de Oro. No problems and none reported by others. Security was visible and active...as in moving around the park...especially after dark.