Thoughts on El Mirador

Doubledown

Hey y'all.

My wife and I were down there August of last year and really enjoyed it (I've lived in Houston before, not phased by triple digit heat and humidity). For years I had wanted to look at retiring to the Virgin Islands. PP got me considering something else......Hurricane Irma finished the job.

We stayed at a condo at Esmerelda. It was nice and all, but the whole resort thing wasn't our scene. While we were there I drove around and looked at some town homes on the beach in the El Mirador area.

1) What do y'all think of that area? (Yea, I saw the strip club and bar. Not opposed......) Has anyone lived over there? Any special concerns being on the beach? I've read that insurance is an issue and that maintenance is somewhat more complicated.

2) We also liked the Old Port area and being in the middle of everything. Has anyone lived walking distance away?

3) What is the personal saftety situation right now? This isn't a newbie kind of question (I lived in El Paso for 20+ years so Mexico and the borderland is nothing new to me. I speak enough spanish to get by and know about the Federales). A month ago I read that there was increased cartel activity in Sonora that was spilling over to PP. Have y'all noticed anything about that?

The buzz as Esmerelda was about the "cruise ship port" and all that it would provide. That sounded too good to be true. We're not looking at this as an investment, but as a long term vacation and eventual part-time retirement locale.

Looking at heading that way in mid-March to scope everything out again. Might be a good time for a forum meetup and some tequilla shots, eh?

Last edited:

ernesto

Well Known Member
Take a look in Las Conchas further east. Better beaches ,24 hr security, some good deals to be had as it hasn't bounced back pricewise as has Sandy Beach. Alot of inventory for sale there.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hello Doubledown..........

I have a condo in Mirador, so I can get you a few facts about that neighborhood.

First off, it's mostly a ghost town now with a few hold-outs that still dream of the good old days coming back before the Krash and the Ex Kenyan King's Black Boot reign.

That hood used to be fairly nice and safe but with the flight back home of hundreds of Gringos after their old haunts were taken over by dreamer Mexican (investors) that thought all of the trailer parks could be zillion dollar high rises like Sandy Beach everything went to shit. I'll never forget Christmas Eve 2008. Musta had a dozen locals there, most acquaintances related to the sport fishing scene that asked me to lend them money for Christmas for their family as the Gringos had stopped coming down and their business had gone to shit.

Mirador used to get the overflow from the weekend cruisers on the Malecon. It had, and anyone can still see the abandoned remains of, at least a dozen hotels, bars, clubs, whore houses and other shit holes that that were the main attraction of the "younger" crowd from metro Phoenix.

Every so often an attempt is made to "gear-up" for the return of that crowd but has always been a complete failure other than Capones that caters to a completely different crowd.

Now days the hood is infested with criminal thieves that monitor your every move. They live in the hood, wander down from the RR tracks and even rent condos with the only intent of being on site to get every damned thing you own that isn't welded or bolted down.

Summer time comes and the Mexicans from the interior arrive by the thousands to rent every room and property they can get hold of and what was a family of four becomes a hoard within hours. The party never stops until the sun come up and they sleep it off till the next night. The pool at our place will sometimes fill with at least one hundred brown bambinos that get trucked in by folks that have absolutely nothing to do with the property. I can't tell you how many times we arrive on a Friday afternoon, get so totally fucking fed up with their shit and leave to head back home first thing the next morning.

You can expect non-stop fireworks most of the night, bomb-like shit at every hour of the day and night and the din of ear splitting noise (music) that starts around nine pm and continues till three or four in the morning. That shit eminates from two or three bars that use the noise in a half-assed attempt to attract the youth crowd that is nowhere anymore but they think is like some kind of foul smelling bait. On nice nights you can't sleep with your doors and windows open and even if you shut your place up tight the walls and windows reverberate with the din.

The beach is a whole other scene. I won't even advise you to keep an eye on your vehicle because as soon as you get in the water the bastards know that you will never get to it before they have busted out your windows and taken off with anything left inside.

Try calling a cop! No one will ever come as the criminal activity there is considered a legitimate source of income.

Just saying...........

Some tequila shots at Capones sounds like a plan!

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
One more item.........

The "strip club and bar" that you mention AKA "The G-Spot" or "Suite 69" is about as foul and low as anything could possibly be in Mexico. Those "girls" that hang out in front of that place wagging their asses to passers by actually have wieners.

Slim young boys decked out like fresh young female hookers are part of a very creepy long time tradition in the Mexican Pointy Toe Cowboy Cult.

I won't elaborate at this time unless you want to puke.

JJ

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Yep -- Las Conchas and beaches east of that (Encanto, Dorada, Miramar) are for those looking for coastal living versus a more citified setting.

Last edited:

marybna

Well Known Member
I own at Bella Sirena. There are very few rentals there. Even on summer weekends it is quiet. I have owned at other Sandy Beach Condo. One was awful on weekends, We are grated and have security. Nothing is every crowded. Try renting on weekends at the places you are interested in.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Much of my adult life, the Mirador was "my home away from home" in Penasco. I still tend to stay in that area, even though it is but a shell of what it was. Spring Break used to shut the place down to foot traffic only. The demise of Manny's Beach Club and several of the trailer parks was basically the death knoll of the Mirador and much of what JJ says, while somewhat provocative, is true. Just ain't what it used to be by any stretch.

My home was generally the Best Western, which became the Playa Inn, or whatever it's called these days next to Capone's. Stayed there since it was one strip of newly built suites and through the years watched it grow into a first class establishment. Friendly, secure, and we knew everyone by name. Even Socks the cat, who would often spend the night in our room. Sad to watch the deterioration of the place. Haven't stayed there in years now.

Used to be the only one you had to watch out for on the Mirador was the "Black Widow." Old timers know who I'm talking about. She was a tranny that could separate you from your wallet, strip all your cash, and have it back in your pocket without you ever even knowing it... until the next morning. Her favorite prey was drunk old gringos and I've heard many tell me they fell prey to her charms over the years.

Will it ever come back? Doubtful. The Sandy Beach condos were the final death knoll. There's really nothing left on the Mirador to draw gringos now. Deadsville. The Mirador still has my favorite beach in Rocky Point, though. At low tide, the tidal pools can be amazing with all manner of critters. Always loved poking around in them. I'm one of those that can't just go to the beach and lay there in the sand and bake like a hot dog. I've got to be fishing, snorkeling, walking the tideline looking for shells and such.

It's a shame. Have always loved the Mirador.

jerry

Well Known Member
Hello Doubledown..........

I have a condo in Mirador, so I can get you a few facts about that neighborhood.

First off, it's mostly a ghost town now with a few hold-outs that still dream of the good old days coming back before the Krash and the Ex Kenyan King's Black Boot reign.

That hood used to be fairly nice and safe but with the flight back home of hundreds of Gringos after their old haunts were taken over by dreamer Mexican (investors) that thought all of the trailer parks could be zillion dollar high rises like Sandy Beach everything went to shit. I'll never forget Christmas Eve 2008. Musta had a dozen locals there, most acquaintances related to the sport fishing scene that asked me to lend them money for Christmas for their family as the Gringos had stopped coming down and their business had gone to shit.

Mirador used to get the overflow from the weekend cruisers on the Malecon. It had, and anyone can still see the abandoned remains of, at least a dozen hotels, bars, clubs, whore houses and other shit holes that that were the main attraction of the "younger" crowd from metro Phoenix.

Every so often an attempt is made to "gear-up" for the return of that crowd but has always been a complete failure other than Capones that caters to a completely different crowd.

Now days the hood is infested with criminal thieves that monitor your every move. They live in the hood, wander down from the RR tracks and even rent condos with the only intent of being on site to get every damned thing you own that isn't welded or bolted down.

Summer time comes and the Mexicans from the interior arrive by the thousands to rent every room and property they can get hold of and what was a family of four becomes a hoard within hours. The party never stops until the sun come up and they sleep it off till the next night. The pool at our place will sometimes fill with at least one hundred brown bambinos that get trucked in by folks that have absolutely nothing to do with the property. I can't tell you how many times we arrive on a Friday afternoon, get so totally fucking fed up with their shit and leave to head back home first thing the next morning.

You can expect non-stop fireworks most of the night, bomb-like shit at every hour of the day and night and the din of ear splitting noise (music) that starts around nine pm and continues till three or four in the morning. That shit eminates from two or three bars that use the noise in a half-assed attempt to attract the youth crowd that is nowhere anymore but they think is like some kind of foul smelling bait. On nice nights you can't sleep with your doors and windows open and even if you shut your place up tight the walls and windows reverberate with the din.

The beach is a whole other scene. I won't even advise you to keep an eye on your vehicle because as soon as you get in the water the bastards know that you will never get to it before they have busted out your windows and taken off with anything left inside.

Try calling a cop! No one will ever come as the criminal activity there is considered a legitimate source of income.

Just saying...........

Some tequila shots at Capones sounds like a plan!

JJ
Jim, funny but you will need that hidden gun when the association of real estate scammers and chamber of commerce read this...

marybna

Well Known Member
I was shocked to read this comments. I know people that have a condo there and go down all the time. The go to VFW and shop and eat at places. I know the park the car inside the condo walls but the walk all over the place for dinner.

jerry

Well Known Member
I was shocked to read this comments. I know people that have a condo there and go down all the time. The go to VFW and shop and eat at places. I know the park the car inside the condo walls but the walk all over the place for dinner.
Marybna. don't listen to him...it's crazy yet fun right-wing rage free form poetry

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
To a point. I don't know where anybody walks to eat on the Mirador anymore. Capones, yes, but that's up the way.

tortuga

Well Known Member
Pink Cadillac and American Legion and the little empanada place on the street behind Capone's.

Reactions: ron

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Pink Cadillac, yes. Dave has managed to keep it going. Good chow, especially breakfast.

marybna

Well Known Member
We have been in RP over 20 years. I go all over in the daytime. I am old. I was coming down a couple of years ago(daytime) and blew a tire. Within 5 mins I had 2 cars pull over, unload the back to get to the spare. Within 15 min I was on my way. I tried to give them money and they would not take it. Because it is tax season, my husband can't go so a friend is coming with me. One of other friends thing she is crazy. I also go the Mirador and have never felt unsafe.

joester

2 salty dawgs
We like staying at Playa de Oro rv park - it's quiet, and we're comfortable there. Have never stayed at any other RV parks in town, but do enjoy a beer or 2 out at the Reef at times.
The beach along the Mirador is the attraction, like Stuart mentioned. I have to stop buying blankets at some point, it's getting a bit ridiculous how many we have bought over the years.
A happy hour drink or 2 at the Pithaya bar, you never know who you may meet there sometimes....
see you in April after the Holidays :)

ddez

We like staying at Playa de Oro rv park - it's quiet, and we're comfortable there. Have never stayed at any other RV parks in town, but do enjoy a beer or 2 out at the Reef at times.
The beach along the Mirador is the attraction, like Stuart mentioned. I have to stop buying blankets at some point, it's getting a bit ridiculous how many we have bought over the years.
A happy hour drink or 2 at the Pithaya bar, you never know who you may meet there sometimes....
see you in April after the Holidays :)