Tiburon Fishing report from 6/17 and 6/18

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Just got back from 4 days of la playa, cerveza, and pescando...

We fished on Father's Day, and the Monday after. Parrothead Pesacador (Kim) joined us on Sunday.

The Father's day weather was ideal, but the water was dark green for over 50 miles out, so we stayed in the 120-150 foot depth zone and hit the grouper rocks. We had a couple little 30 inch hammerheads around the boat a couple times which was cool to see.

Fishing-wise, the water quality even made making bait a chore- there was not a greenback to be found anywhere, so we collected up a bunch of bay bass and some 12-20 inch corvina and went fishing.

Luckily, it seems Gulf Grouper do not care what color the water is.

By 2pm we had 4 grouper on the boat (one 30, one 50, and 2 big ole 70 plus hogs), and had broken off 2 others; and then Kim's pole goes off. As we shuffled about getting ready to bring another Baya aboard, the fish takes off straight out, peeling drag like a 200 pound tuna. I'm thinking to myself "That's weird, I've never seen a grouper do that before" while I'm screaming at Kim to keep pumping and winding and stop crying like a girl (which is the standard abuse that everyone gets subjected to when they fish aboard my boat)

Finally, after about 25 minutes, up comes Kim's fish- a big, flat, pissed off 150-200 pound Stingray. Sticking him with the gaff didn't seem to make him any more mellow, but he had a 6 dollar hook in his mouth, and we wanted it back.

Our plan was to turn that bad-boy into scallops, so we secured him with a flying gaff with the intention of towing him until he croaked so we could bring him aboard safely, but he managed to roll off the gaff and swam away (probably more pissed than ever)...

Once the stingray chaos had officially subsided, we managed to boat one more large grouper, then ran for port in time to watch the end of the US Open, and Game3 of the NBA Finals...

Monday morning, we ran back out and executed the same game plan, but the weather was not nearly as friendly. By noon, we had one Grouper, and another break off, but the wind really had the seas rocking, so we called it early and booked a retreat faster than the French after Waterloo...

All in all, another really fun 2 days of fishing. Expensive, but fun- I had a pole in a holder that snagged the rocks with the drag locked down and POP! - it broke right behind the reel seat, and the whole enchilada (75% of my Daiwa Eliminator boat rod, and my Saltist Big Game lever drag reel) took flight and is now resting on the bottom somewhere out there, leaving me with only the 18 inch butt section... joy.

:hateit:

Will post some pics later tonight after I get them off the camera....

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Now I know where Capone's get's the tasty fish for their blackened grouper and linguini dish !!
yeah, ummmmm..... no comment on that, except to say that what Dave does with his fish is his business... :chef:

I gave one of mine to Kim to take home, and the other one of mine is in my freezer.
I enforce the legal limits for anyone who fishes aboard my boat, but once the boat docks and the fish leave the fish box, they are out of my jurisdiction :eek:strich:

:)

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
... do you gut the fish aboard? I have seen mexicans shore fisherment cut the guts out as soon as they can even on Corvina's.... Something about de bleeding them asap.
No, we don't gut or fillet fish offshore- Conapesca regulations say you're not supposed to throw any fish waste overboard, and I can't imagine how smelly my trash bucket would get after being filled with fish guts for a few hours...

We probably could do it and ignore the regulations, but I admit it: I am too paranoid to deal with the Mexican authorities, so I do everything according to the written regulations, no matter how stupid I think they are.

I mean, Shrimp boats are allowed to discard tons of dead by-catch, but sport fishermen aren't allowed to toss 10 pounds of guts to the sea lions? Like I said: Stupid.

I always fill my fish boxes with ice before we head out so that the fish chill very quickly after being caught.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Your big stingray - a few years back, we we're fishing at the Caballo in October. The only thing we seemed to be catching was black-tip reef sharks, mature 35-40 lb. models. Nearly impossible to get a bait by them and when you could, whatever you caught got shark-chewed on the way up. We kept a couple for tacos and released the rest. Just as I was ready to head somewhere, anywhere, less shark-infested, I hooked up with something huge on light 30 lb. tackle. Battle on! Turned out to be a monster-size stingray like yours. Managed to gaff it and swing it into the boat, thinkin the same thing -- there's some good eatin'!

Well, the wife couldn't stand it laying there on the deck, huffing and puffing, and insisted I release it. Carefully got it back on the gaff in the same gaff hole in its skirt and back over the side it went. After a moment of resusitating, off it went, back down.

When I got home, I did some research on black-tip reef sharks, never having caught those at the Caballo before. And? Favorite food of black-tip reef sharks? Yup - stingray. That poor sucker probably got swarmed and devoured before he ever got near the bottom again. Ooooopsie!!!

Thanks for the update on the green water. I was wanting to do some trolling, but if you're not seeing any blue water, it's hardly worth it. My last trip out to the 51 was nothing but green water. I plan on heading down again 7/13/14... maybe some blue water will have pushed up by then.

Great job on the grouper!!

MIRAMAR

OK Stuart and Robert- can you give me a lesson on green water vs. blue? I read in National Geographic a few years ago that green water meant "life" and blue water was lack of life. Now you guys are saying the opposite so can you tell me the difference?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
OK Stuart and Robert- can you give me a lesson on green water vs. blue? I read in National Geographic a few years ago that green water meant "life" and blue water was lack of life. Now you guys are saying the opposite so can you tell me the difference?

Green water means chlorophyll, and therefore algae and plankton... it also means reduced visibility and typically indicates temperature volatility. (meaning that water temps in the area are swinging rapidly one way or the other)

All this is good for life and nutrients- green water is definitely alive.

National Geographic is correct- blue water is nutrient poor, but many baitfish species (mackerel and sardines most notably) are accustomed to low nutrient water, and many gamefish species (especially pelagics like Dorado, Sierra and Skipjack) are sight-feeders, and the reduced visibility and increased glare in green water reduces the odds for the fisherman.

when trolling offshore, often times the best fishing grounds will be found where there is a clearly demarcated current break between green water moving one way and blue water moving another... The baitfish stack up on this breakline, and dip into the green areas to feed on the abundant plankton, and the gamefish naturally stack up on the baitfish...

Kelney

Hey Stu, speaking of trolling I was about 30 miles or so off shore due west when I saw something large jumping about 600 yards north of my position. I wanted to take a closer look but at that time I was anchored up and just noticed that my anchor ball was floating by my boat all by its lonesome. After hauling my anchor in by hand and chasing down my ball I forgot all about chasing them. Not sure exactly what was jumping as I thought it would be too early for any type of billfish to be in our waters but it appeared to be the size and appearance of a sailfish.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Perfect time for sails right now. Have caught them a couple times, but have seen them jumping many more times. In general, you tell the difference beween marlin and sailfish jumping at a distance because sails tend to jump and sort of fall over on their side. Marlin can actually clear the water and will often greyhound (make a series of jumps).

Nobody really goes out and trolls them in Penasco. Most everybody wants to bottomfish. I may also troll light gear by the island. Skipjack, ladyfish, and sierra are always a blast on spinning gear. Small hoochies or jetheads are perfect for them. The ladyfish will go completely airborne like dorado.

On the green vs. blue water - what Robert said. Current breaks or scum lines where blue meets green water = dorado! Add some sargasso and oh my, dorado heaven!