Tide Pools

TheColoradoDude

Fish/Live/Learn
I know this topic has been covered before but can someone tell me where the best tide pools in the area are located? I am heading down Saturday with a friend and would like to explore a bit. I am a little famililiar with the area, I know where the oyster farms are, Las Conchas, Downtown Central, and Cholla Bay. Does anyone recommend staying at the Viña Del Mar near the Malecon?

Thanks,
James

Can't respond on how good Vina del Mar is now...but it was the first place I stayed at back in 1985 when they didn't even have the pool!

There is a tide pool right below the hotel...just drive thru the parking lot to the very back. There are many tide pools off the Mirador area (Manny's) at low tide, as well as off Sandy Beach (Playa Bonita). You have a new moon on Thursday, so the tide range should be pretty extreme, exposing the tide pools.

B

bahiatrader

I've seen some nice sized fish in the Playa San Jorge tidal pools, but I was never able to hook any. I think some of the big ones may have been guitar fish.

Like Joe says the Mirador has the best tide pools... There will be a class from Mesa Community College down here studying the creatures in tide pools all next week... we are going to the island with them on Monday...

Friday and saturday mornings low tides will be excellent for tide pooling... but I will be freediving my favorite location... low tides make it so much easier to "sea" what would be out of range without scuba gear...

the swim is on.... my first swim of the year... I started at the old docks that Al Capone had built and headed out of port along the malecon, past Flavios, Sr. Amigos and the BooBar and made it to the Point restaurant and back in 40 minutes... lots of schooling fish with me the entire swim.... the water feels great... sea U later...

the swim is on.... my first swim of the year... I started at the old docks that Al Capone had built and headed out of port along the malecon, past Flavios, Sr. Amigos and the BooBar and made it to the Point restaurant and back in 40 minutes... lots of schooling fish with me the entire swim.... the water feels great... sea U later...
BRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Did you use a shorty wetsuit?

Joe, I used my business suit...(a swim suit) the water was chilly when I first got in but after I was totally submerged it felt very comfortable...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I had to read that twice! First I thought you wrote birthday suit!:mrgreen::-o:eek3::rofl:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
where is PLay de Oro?
Playa de Oro is the RV Park in Mirador beach area, in a low tide that whole area is full of tide pools and they are nice and big, all sorts of marine life there, when tide is half way up you snorkel and can see fish of all types, I believe they are, the tide pools, better than in Sandy Beach! and when the tide is up all the way you have a very nice sandy beach!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
We had so much fun in the tidepools in front of Playa Miramar over the years. So many kids came back with kid treasures in their buckets. So many kids looked at their treasures and took them back to the tidepools and released them. We got squirted with so much ink over the years. Memories..........

I was in the water last week, and like I said, it was surprisingly pleasant. Good job Mark!! Our dog loves the tide pools on Mirador beach. All I have to do is say "where's the crabbies, get the crabbies" and he sticks his nose in just about every pool. More often than not, he pulls out rocks or shells, but occasionally, he gets a hold of one (or I should say one gets a hold of him!) which is hysterical. I love tide pooling...................