tips for a first timer?

Jaimee o

Hi everyone! We leave Saturday for our first trip to RP. We rented a townhouse near Manny's for 3 nights. We have our insurance, passports and sunscreen. I've read as much as I can on these forums. Any other addition tips or hints for a first timer?

Thanks!
Jaimee

GV Jack

Snorin God
What Todd said and WATCH for the stop signs( Alto) and stop lights. There is no set pattern for their location and the stop
signs can be rusted over but have the international shape. Particularly on Josepha. I speak from experience..right Roberto.

mrchief98

If you like the bar-scene, Wrecked at the Reef on Sandy Beach, and The Hut next to Sonoran Sea are good places to hang out.

AZRob

Watch out for window washers, they are like ninjas and will jump out from no were in front of your truck or on top of it. #2 dont pick up or step on a sting ray or jellyfish and dont play with them in the water. #3 drink, have fun and if something looks good eat it. #4 watch out for man hole covers missing in the road. #5 stop at RR crossings, there are no warning lights. #6 most important watch every car around you, no one stops at stop signs down there. #7 at the little shops never pay what they are asking. #8 bring bottled water to drink or buy it there.

If you like the bar-scene, Wrecked at the Reef on Sandy Beach, and The Hut next to Sonoran Sea are good places to hang out.
Banditos = HUT
Roger Clyne is a part owner in this place. If you are a fan, great place to have a drink or 5. And you never know when he may show up a jam session.

rplarry

Hi everyone! We leave Saturday for our first trip to RP. We rented a townhouse near Manny's for 3 nights. We have our insurance, passports and sunscreen. I've read as much as I can on these forums. Any other addition tips or hints for a first timer?

Thanks!
Jaimee
Additional thoughts and tips on your 1st visit to Rocky Point

1. Buy high, sell low (no charge for this advice)

2. Don't judge your first trip to RP by going in July. Make sure you come back during months other than the months most people avoid which is July and August. September is pretty sweltering at times too.

3. Don't forget your favorite firearm. Bring plenty of ammunition. It is really fun to target practice and shoot floating cans in the water while on the beach.

4. Make sure to grab a coffee and donut at Reggie's (Drunken Donuts), just down the street from where you are staying. And, for a simple snack or breakfast, their burritos are really good too.

5. Stop by La Curva before they close and all go on vacation for a month. Always a bummer to be surprised by going by La Curva in the summer, only to see the CLOSED sign. La Curva closes at some point, usually late July or early August and all employees enjoy a vacation. Really good food, and always friendly service.

6. Copone's is just down the road from where you are staying. Great food, fun atmosphere, cold AC. Can't get any better than that in July. Actually, it's the same there every month of the year.

7. Don't forget your adult diapers. They really help with the July humidity and crack sweat.

8. Don't be disappointed if Manny's is closed. It is.

9. Tip well if you get good service. They really appreciate it and will remember you next time.

10. Casa del Capitan has 50% off your breakfast and lunch order if you get there before 4pm. Does not include drinks. Tell them you read about that offer in Rocky Point Times. They will honor it. Make sure you get a margarita there. Best view, best sunset in all of Rocky Point.
No 50% off during sunset or dinner of course.

11. Take a drive out to Las Conchas. Drive along the roads closest to the beach. About 5 miles of beachfront housing and fun to see all the different houses. You may want to rent a place out there on your next visit.

12. Make sure you stop by Tacos Brisas. It's a straight drive from the Mirador. Take Sinaloa, which goes by Capone's and Reggies. Go past the 4 way stop at Freemont and keep going about 6-7 cross-streets until you come upon an XOXO on the right hand side. Tacos Brisas is directly across the street. Order the Papas Rellenos. Big enough to split between the two of you. Can't go to Rocky Point without a stop here.

13. Lastly, and very important to make clear. #3 on this list is a total joke, and if you follow that tip, you may not be going home for a very long time.

Enjoy you virgin trip to Rocky Point. It is a special place.

Last tip. No charge. As they say at the Melecon, "almost free for you today" ....

14. Start visualizing and thinking while you are down there in the sweltering heat & humidity, about how great it would be to come back in mid-October or November when the the days are around 70-80 degrees and the evenings are in the 60's. Visualize making a fire on the patio or beach, and having to put on a sweatshirt or blanket while watching the sun go down. The days are perfect, and the evenings are crisp. Doesn't get any better than that.

Unless you wait until March/April to come back. Similar temps and a great time to visit in the Spring.

Make sure to reply back to your post after your trip. It will be interesting to hear what you thought about your first visit.

Oh, one more tip. Seriously, last one.

15. Have a safe trip.

Jaimee o

Thanks for all the advice. We are from Phoenix so we are used to the heat. We have a toy hauler so we are using this trip to scout and see if we want to do some beach front camping when the weather cools off. Of course with gas prices what they are it's almost cheaper to just rent a house. I will post a trip report when we get back.

Jaimee

GV Jack

Snorin God
"Don't forget your favorite firearm. Bring plenty of ammunition. It is really fun to target practice and shoot floating cans in the water while on the beach."

Jaimee, I strongly suggest you disregard that piece of advice. Think about that Marine languishing in prison there. I know a young lady that works here in Green Valley and her boy friend has been there for two years now.

Not sure if you already purchased your Mex auto insurance. There are probably 20 places to get it on the way there.
I buy from Rosy Glover. You can contact her through the forum PitiquitoRosy or on her website at http://proalliance.com.mx
She is the nicest lady and she will help you with anything you need.
One thing you should also do which no one has mentioned here. If you enjoy sipping Tequila, make sure you visit the Tequila Factory - Benito Juarez 121, Recinto Portuario.
Fernando will take good care of you. Rosy's office in also the same complex on the second floor

Thanks for all the advice. We are from Phoenix so we are used to the heat. We have a toy hauler so we are using this trip to scout and see if we want to do some beach front camping when the weather cools off. Of course with gas prices what they are it's almost cheaper to just rent a house. I will post a trip report when we get back.

Jaimee
I'm excited for you guys!!!!!!!! :)
I remember my first time there. We were a little nervous about driving over the boarder and driving in Mexico. I had been to other places in Mex, but only by boat, plane or on foot. Never went for spring break in all my years as a teen and young adult.
Also did my first trip in July of 2004.
I was just watching a video we shot back then. Kinda funny to watch yourself as a group of newbie gringos trying to figure things out.
We were hooked and have been going back at least twice a year ever since.

mondone

Whitecaps
Not sure if you already purchased your Mex auto insurance. There are probably 20 places to get it on the way there.
I buy from Rosy Glover. You can contact her through the forum PitiquitoRosy or on her website at http://proalliance.com.mx
She is the nicest lady and she will help you with anything you need.
One thing you should also do which no one has mentioned here. If you enjoy sipping Tequila, make sure you visit the Tequila Factory - Benito Juarez 121, Recinto Portuario.
Fernando will take good care of you. Rosy's office in also the same complex on the second floor
All very true, except Rosie has moved her office to Plaza Melanie on Fremont Blvd.

Estella

Seriously, obey all the speed limit signs in Sonoita after you cross the border.
Yes. It is a sad fact. Mexico spends lots of money promoting Mexico as tourist destination but fail to see what is the biggest turn off to foreign tourists. We all know local Mexicans all drive 20kmh over the speed limit anywhere in mexico but you as a gringo tourist will be targeted by all branches of law enforcement.

InkaRoads

cronopiador

Thanks!
Jaimee
If you venture in the local neighborhoods keep in mind the unwritten law regarding stop signs or ALTO, all streets going north /south yield or stop to ALL traffic going east/west, sometimes you might not find the sign there but to avoid any accidents just be cautious when driving on the north/south streets!

Now to taste the west birria you need to go to Birrieria Sinaloa Ahome in Simon Morua, the street that has the ACE Hardware store sign on Benito Juarez, the main road as you come into town, you are going straight on Simon Morua for about 3/4 of a mile, you will pass ACE, it is across the street from the green fence (school) on the south west corner, they are open early at 6:30 am and close around 1 or 2, you can eat in or take home but the flavor is unique and delicious!!

Enjoy your trip!!