tips for a first timer?

I was told by a local, Barb O., there is also an unknown fact to many. You are required to stop before and after you come to a school or park, whether there is a stop sign or not.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Hi everyone! We leave Saturday for our first trip to RP. We rented a townhouse near Manny's for 3 nights. We have our insurance, passports and sunscreen. I've read as much as I can on these forums. Any other addition tips or hints for a first timer?

Thanks!
Jaimee
Have a great time!
Absolutely correct about speed limits in Sonoyta and stop signs in PP - Just ask my hubby who has accumulated a few souvenirs - :(
El Capitan by far the best view ~ even better with a margarita.
I always go to Old Port or Dirt Mall and pick up something I do not need because, after all, it is almost free!
Also, we usually go in May and October because of the weather so good luck with that.

Welcome to your new addiction!

mrchief98

Not sure if you already purchased your Mex auto insurance. There are probably 20 places to get it on the way there.
I buy from Rosy Glover. You can contact her through the forum PitiquitoRosy or on her website at http://proalliance.com.mx
She is the nicest lady and she will help you with anything you need.
One thing you should also do which no one has mentioned here. If you enjoy sipping Tequila, make sure you visit the Tequila Factory - Benito Juarez 121, Recinto Portuario.
Fernando will take good care of you. Rosy's office in also the same complex on the second floor

Check with your auto insurance before buying Mexican insurance. I have USAA, and my policy completely covers me up to 75 miles into Mexico. PP is only about 60 miles from the border.

mondone

Whitecaps
Check with your auto insurance before buying Mexican insurance. I have USAA, and my policy completely covers me up to 75 miles into Mexico. PP is only about 60 miles from the border.
Bad suggestion. You could not be any more WRONG! Yes, many US policies will cover you in Mexico ( although most only within 25 miles from the border), but that is strictly coverage for you, your passengers, and your vehicle. It does not cover you for liability to the other vehicle(s) and persons involved. Mexico DOES NOT recognize your USAA policy, and you are living dangerously and I'm afraid to say, my friend, are going to end up in Mexican jail God forbid you have an accident south of the border. Do yourself a big favor and contact Rosie Glover the next time you plan to drive in Mexico.

YumaJames

I agree with you 100% mundane, sorry mrchief98, that's bad advice. Insurance companies do everything they can to not pay. They say they cover you in Mexico, but if you got in an accident in Mexico, I bet my last beer they won't cover you. And I agree 100% with you mondone, if you get in an accident in Mexico, they want to see a Mexican policy, they won't recognize an American policy even if it claims they provide coverage in Mexico. If you get in an accident in Mexico and don't have Mexican insurance, you're gonna end up behind bars in 2 seconds, be forking out a lot of money to get out, and sure wish you would've bought a Mexican policy in the first place. Let me clarify, I'd trust policies bought in Mexico, Mexican policies bought online or in the States, but I would never trust an American policy that covers you primarily in the States and they claim to cover you so many miles in Mexico.

Last edited:

Landshark

Agree with having a Mexican auto insurance policy, but more specifically a policy where the agent is there to assist you if there is a problem. Like Mondone said, buy your policy from Rosie Glover at ProAlliance Insurance. Her office is in Rocky Point and she will personally come to the accident scene or police station if you have a problem. Just call her on her cell. I don't speak Spanish but if I was being held at the police station while they attempted to determine who was at fault I would be very thankful to have Rosie there representing me. IMHO
ROSIE GLOVER
OFFICE MEX 638-388-6624
CELL MEX 638-386-9081
FROM US 602-773-1031

[email protected]

BryAz

I always get my Mexico insurance online. It costs just a few bucks more, but it's easy and I don't have to worry about stopping anywhere. It's done in advance in the comfort of my home. You can get it through the AAA website, or Google it and a lot of choices come up.

El Gato

I always get my Mexico insurance online. It costs just a few bucks more, but it's easy and I don't have to worry about stopping anywhere. It's done in advance in the comfort of my home. You can get it through the AAA website, or Google it and a lot of choices come up.

You can do it online through Rosie's ProAlliance, I believe. We've known Rosie since 2010 and she is fantastic. We had auto (didn't need to use it fortunately) and homeowner's which we did need to use - Rosie was there immediately and took care of everything - much easier then in the US. Rosie is also there for all tourists, no matter if you buy insurance from her or not. Bill and I can not say enough about how wonderful she is - one of the greatest assets Penasco has!

El Gato

I'm excited for you guys!!!!!!!! :)
I remember my first time there. We were a little nervous about driving over the boarder and driving in Mexico. I had been to other places in Mex, but only by boat, plane or on foot. Never went for spring break in all my years as a teen and young adult.
Also did my first trip in July of 2004.
I was just watching a video we shot back then. Kinda funny to watch yourself as a group of newbie gringos trying to figure things out.
We were hooked and have been going back at least twice a year ever since.
My first time down was in 1948 - a lot different then with about 300 or so people - as you can obviously tell, our family was hooked!

apricot

If you live in AZ, CA, CO, ID, NV, NM, OR, TX, UT or WA you can buy it online from Costco (click on Services, then click on Mexico Travel Auto Insurance). If you have an executive membership, you save 25% off daily rates or 35% off annual rates. Otherwise, if you have a regular membership, you save 15% off daily rates and 25% off annual rates. The coverage is provided by one of three Mexican insurance companies: Mapfre, Tepeyac, or Qualitas.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
If you live in AZ, CA, CO, ID, NV, NM, OR, TX, UT or WA you can buy it online from Costco (click on Services, then click on Mexico Travel Auto Insurance). If you have an executive membership, you save 25% off daily rates or 35% off annual rates. Otherwise, if you have a regular membership, you save 15% off daily rates and 25% off annual rates. The coverage is provided by one of three Mexican insurance companies: Mapfre, Tepeyac, or Qualitas.
Just checked Costco prices for insurance for 2 drivers for a full year $138.50, even with the 35% discount of executive membership, my police with Mapfre thru Portugal Insurance is cheaper at $88 and covers me all over Mexico!!! and I renew on line, by phone or email sometimes I even forget about it and they renew it for me!!!

And Jamiee what ever you do make sure your car does not have even a used cartridge in it and leave your guns at home, USA, you'll be better off!! even as a joke that was stupid!!!

playaperro

El Pirata
Just checked Costco prices for insurance for 2 drivers for a full year $138.50, even with the 35% discount of executive membership, my police with Mapfre thru Portugal Insurance is cheaper at $88 and covers me all over Mexico!!! and I renew on line, by phone or email sometimes I even forget about it and they renew it for me!!!

And Jamiee what ever you do make sure your car does not have even a used cartridge in it and leave your guns at home, USA, you'll be better off!! even as a joke that was stupid!!!
Man ink, you become more frugal and mexican than me. Give you a call in a week when I go fishing (LOL), and you can give me a heads up with the local beat..

Only 2 more days to go! I'm super excited!
I know that feeling all too well. When we are driving in and I get that first sight of the top of the Sandy Beach resorts from way off in the distance, my heart beats a little faster. I know that may sound corny, but I always feel like I belong there.
You will know what I mean.
One other tip. Not sure what your drinking habits are or if you drink at all. Don't go too hard the first day you are there. I have and still do HAHA

El Gato

Wishing you and your family a wonderful time. Enjoy yourselves a lot. Remember that most people down there aren't in a big hurry. They will stop in the middle of the street to talk to friends - service can be slow - manana is alive and well in Penasco. Enjoy the views and meeting new friends. Even if you don't speak Spanish (or not a lot) try some out - everyone is fantastic about trying to help out and it is fun learning a new word or two. If you are good at charades that is a major plus :)

One thing about summer - the water temperature is so nice and warm - great for just floating around in. Totally relaxing.

You won't be "in Kansas" any more - you will be in a place that is different but so wonderful in it's own way. Usually those who don't enjoy it are those that are expecting what they are totally used to at home. If you are like most who go down there you will be planning your next trip back by the end of the first Corona/Margarita & new friends you've just met.

Look for a sight of Bird Island and also Baja at sunset.

audsley

How ever you choose to buy your Mexican auto insurance, on line or whatever, make sure you have before you cross the border of Lukeville. It would not be a good idea to drive uninsured (which is how Mexico sees it) from Lukeville to Rocky Point intending to buy it when you get there.

Also, watch out for the school zone shortly after you come through the entry point at Sonoyta. We were pulled over in April for going the normal speed limit past a school we didn't see. The driver insisted on following the officer to the police station to pay the fine. The policeman suddenly had a change of mind and let us go with a warning. (Our theory is that he figured all the time spent folowing us to the police station and filling out the forms would cost him too much revenue from gringos willing to pay cash to him on the spot. But that's just our theory.) I'd advise anyone stopped for speeding to agree to go to the police station and see what happens. But the best approach is to avoid such encounters in the first place by looking out for the school zone in the first mile or so from the border entry.

mis2810

How ever you choose to buy your Mexican auto insurance, on line or whatever, make sure you have before you cross the border of Lukeville. It would not be a good idea to drive uninsured (which is how Mexico sees it) from Lukeville to Rocky Point intending to buy it when you get there.

Also, watch out for the school zone shortly after you come through the entry point at Sonoyta. We were pulled over in April for going the normal speed limit past a school we didn't see. The driver insisted on following the officer to the police station to pay the fine. The policeman suddenly had a change of mind and let us go with a warning. (Our theory is that he figured all the time spent folowing us to the police station and filling out the forms would cost him too much revenue from gringos willing to pay cash to him on the spot. But that's just our theory.) I'd advise anyone stopped for speeding to agree to go to the police station and see what happens. But the best approach is to avoid such encounters in the first place by looking out for the school zone in the first mile or so from the border entry.
And that's why it's calling "The Sonoyta Crawl".