top five things to do in RP with a family

apb739

What are the top five things to do in RP with a family (kids aged 15, 12, & 11 years old)?
At the top of the kids list is fishing…any recommendations? :chef:

Roberto

I would suggest mainly a good location for the kids, like rent a house on the beach, not in a highrise. They can step out whenever and enjoy the ocean and you can sit on the deck and keep an eye on them. You don't have to haul all the crap down every time you want to sit on the beach.
Visit the aquario at the entrance to Las Conchas.
See the whale skeleton at CEDO in Las Conchas (your wife will like the gift shop !).
Visit the Pinacate to see some astounding volcanic craters. This is a bit out of town but well worth the trip if you have time.
The harbor cruises are a good way to enjoy an evening.
Lots of opportunities for fishing. I'd probaby avoid an all day thing, as you never know how it will go for the kids. Be sure to take some motion sickness remedies along.
There are jet ski rentals, banana boat rides, ATV rentals any of which the kids will enjoy.

Have fun !

Kelney

Here are some suggestions:
1 The beach. Do a banana boat ride as well. You got to get it bouncing though to lose control and fall off for a better ride. Uh, make sure your trunks are tied on tight by the way.

2 Shore fish or for me it tends to be swim fishing. I tend to get my lures caught on reefs and I have to swim out to unlatch it. That can be a job for your kids.

3 The Cetmar Aquarium. Playing with the Pargo keeps me entertained anyways.

4 Clamming in Cholla Bay when the tide is out. Head to JJ's afterwards!

5 Last but not least, find the Black Widow and tell your kids that is what happens to you when you do not eat your vegetables.

Regarding fishing on a boat you have several options. If you just want to pull on bass and triggers go to the harbor and strike a deal or for a larger variety of fish you can hook up with a charter that goes further out. www.rockypointboattrips.com

I concur with the things mentioned above
1) banana boat rides with the kids are great
2) the pirate ship sunset cruise is entertaining for the kids
3) renting a rhino and taking them all out to ride some hills behind the condos on sandy beach
4) buying fireworks and shooting them off at night in the desert, actually my favorite place is shooting the off at the top of competition hill, but ya need quads or rhinos to get up there
5) go to fish market and have them pick out fish and shrimp to bring back and cook together
5.1) have kids go into Las Palmas and see how many rides down the water slide they can get before getting kicked out for not having braclets. If they can get 10 rides down then buy them their choice of ice cream at thrifty.

M

m4shawn

Last but not least, find the Black Widow and tell your kids that is what happens to you when you do not eat your vegetables.
Haha - will one of you veterans educate a newbie on who the Black Widow that gets mentioned so often is?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Shawn,

Go down to the Mirador. Get drunk. Stumble out on the beach by Manny's, or back up the street a ways, if it's a busy night. The Black Widow will appear for you when you least expect it. She'll ask you for a cigarette or open with the ever famous-line "You want to f*** my pussy?" When she says "Here, you touch my titties for free!", do it. Then, kiss your wallet good-bye!

He/she/it -- I've never examined the merchandise closely enough to make a determination -- but I believe the Black Widow is a tranny. She preys on drunken gringo men. I've been approached by her a few times, but know better (learned from many years in the Navy and some pretty unsavory places/people). Once she approached me and my 16 yr. old son was with me, so he got a good lesson in what to watch out for and how to escape her entangling webs.

I know at least three guys over the years that weren't so smart and had their wallets picked clean and put back in their pockets without even knowing it until the next morning. She is a pro. Beware!

M

m4shawn

WOW! Scary and funny all in one. Has this creature been around since, say, 2003? We were stumbling out of Manny's one night in Oct 2003 when I believe one of my friends got very close to exactly what you describe here - it's been a running joke he has had to suffer through endlessly since; this would take it to another level if his brief encounter was with some kind of a RP Chupacabra type legend! Hahaha!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Chupacabra, indeed! Yes, she has been around for many years, at least 2003.

A

azbeachboy

">If you notice I'm not in the picture and "IT" is not wearing my beads...The last time I saw "IT" was in PDO. I told my wife to stop and "IT" came to window and asked for a smoke then left when ""IT" saw my wife...

Last edited by a moderator:

JayT

I like how the "Top 5 things to do with your Family in RP" thread spirals into Black Widow conversation. Classic. I can't believe that thing is still lurking around the Mirador.

Back to the OP's post-
My legit ideas for the family and kids are:

1. Kites. There is almost always a good breeze blowing off the ocean and it's perfect for kite flying.
2. CEDO's Eco-adventures. The tidepool excursions and estuary tours are a fun way to spend a few hours learning about the rich environment without killing the entire day.
3. Swim-up bar at Baja Cantina in the Mirador is fun for the kids and adults.
4. Birding - nothing cooler than watching an Osprey pluck a fish out of the water in RP. Lots of great Egrets, Herons, Terns, etc. to see near the water.
5. Astronomy - Teach the kids about the Dippers, Orion, Sirius, etc. on a clear night in RP.
6. Ghost stories - Tell the kids scary stories by the beach fire about the Chupacabra and other great lore.

We have seen dolphins passing by many times throughout the years which is always fun for everyone-keep your eyes peeled. Kites, the aquarium, star gazing, fireworks (the pretty "oohh and aahh" kind--not the kind that make you feel like you're in a war zone), banana boat rides.......there is soooo much. But probably my most favorite is tidepooling. I spend hours (not all at once!) watching the little critters go about their daily lives. My Jack Russell loves to stick his nose in the pools looking for crabs and it's funny as hell when he actually hooks up with one--a pinch to the nose or mouth doesn't deter him! Also top on the list is snorkeling and boogy boarding. Now mind you, this is not a top destination for these two activities--don't expect a lot. You're not going to see "exotic fish" or "catch a big wave", but it is fun nonetheless. You're not far from home (USA) but you are in a different country with a somewhat different culture. It is very laid back. Expose the kids to this by taking them out and observing the locals living their daily lives!

M

m4shawn

WOW azbeachboy, a shocking visual even! THAT was more than I anticipated. The vivid written description paired with that full on photo and I am scared from here behnd my screen. Yeesh!
Thanks both of you for the thorough education .... I think.