Trailer Parks

we have virtually no history in PP compared to you folks.
what HAS changed for us over the past 5 years is the Mirador motel next to PDO.
gone are the travel trailers to rent, as well as what I thought were the finest accomodations in all of PP -
units 1-4 on the beach at Mirador.
on a holiday weekend, they were 100/nt. I have not seen ANY accomodations for rent SO close to the beach, and SO relaxed.
a fresh water shower at the top of the steps, a huge palapa with picnic tables and a large BBQ pit - it was heaven. in our short time, we usually had friends in one of the units there while we had our rv next door in PDO.
once the trailers were pulled up, and that horrible motel built - it was changed forever.
Jerry - I agree that Santo Tomas is beautiful, but until there's an rv park with full hookups, it's just not affordable for those of us who only come down once in a while.
rather than lament the changes - let's embrace what we still have left along the Mirador corridor, and enjoy each and every sunrise and sunset.
:coldone:
Maybe Jerry wants to set up 3 or 4 spaces and hookups on his lot for us RV'ers????:bunny: Probably his HOA wouldn't allow that, right????

Last edited:

TheColoradoDude

Fish/Live/Learn
Back in the early 90's my friends and I would road trip from Durango Colorado to Rocky Point for our spring break. I loved it because our break fell before the big schools so the town was quite mellow. We camped the first couple years on Sandy Beach which was fairly primitive. There were probably about a dozen vehicles camped out during that time. Always enjoyed heading into town to buy large shrimp and asparagus to grill on the beach. Add some dos xx and nothing seemed better!!!

One year we camped 5 star in front of the Pitahya. $10 a car to camp right on the beach with a nice shower/bathroom facility right behind us. Good times! More shrimp, more dos xx.

Went back there a few years with some friends and rented a condo for a couple hundred a night. Could not believe they were selling for $250,000. Seemed a bit early to have these prices at a premium. Went to the off the beaten path oyster farm north of Los Conchas and were greeted with some locals drinking bud light and playing around with their dog. Everything seemed fine until one of them pulled out a gun and started twirling it. Now from what I know this person was either policia or bandito. It was quite unnerving. The ladies behind the counter just minded their own business. I told the girls to get in the van while I tried to figure out what the hell was going on. One of the 3 men seemed to just want to scare us and see how we would react. With my limited spanish I wanted assure them that we just wanted to have some oysters and then move on. They finally left. My friends still can't tell their parents about that time or they would be banned from ever returning. And my friends are all almost 40!! :)

This incident has never deterred me from returning to Baja/Mexico. I have always been aware of my surroundings and have used common sense. I felt bad that I took my friends to a unique place and this had to happen.

I love Mexico for the people, culture, raw experiences (good or scary), food, and the simplicity in which most live out of necessity. I will be returning next week for a few days with a friend and will definately be going back to the oyster farm. I just hope it's open!

My understanding is that there is a new airport that just opened up? One that will eventually be serving commercial flights. If so, then that could only be could news for property owners and business owners. Rocky Point is a charming place that deserves to thrive. Unfortunately when greed comes into play, nothing survives.

Buena Suerte!!!

Last edited:

jerry

"Jerry - I agree that Santo Tomas is beautiful, but until there's an rv park with full hookups, it's just not affordable for those of us who only come down once in a while."

I know Joe but I'm still working on the Rvpark down by the fish camp idea.The coastal road is going to come within 5 miles of Santo Tomas by summer and would be a great stop off for exploring the coast. if anyone has a spare 200k i think they could get it going on a small scale plus their own office/living space. it would be a blast to help get it going.

Kenny

"Jerry - I agree that Santo Tomas is beautiful, but until there's an rv park with full hookups, it's just not affordable for those of us who only come down once in a while."

I know Joe but I'm still working on the Rvpark down by the fish camp idea.The coastal road is going to come within 5 miles of Santo Tomas by summer and would be a great stop off for exploring the coast. if anyone has a spare 200k i think they could get it going on a small scale plus their own office/living space. it would be a blast to help get it going.
Oh good Jerry! I can't tell you how excited I was when they put a parking lot on Sandy beach, then put RV's on it.:roll::stir:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey Kenny,
At least it's not more pigeon coops and coopers. There should be room for ALL of us!

Kenny

Hey Kenny,
At least it's not more pigeon coops and coopers. There should be room for ALL of us!
Knowing me as well as you do, I never expected to get a rise out of you on this subject Chari. Oh well, Se La Vi Say The Old Folks, Goes To Show You Never Can Tell.:D

Kenny

jerry

Oh good Jerry! I can't tell you how excited I was when they put a parking lot on Sandy beach, then put RV's on it.:roll::stir:
Ha! well it would be behind the big dunes a mile to the south and have maybe 20 spaces.Most of the focus is a retreat center for group camping.When that wasn't happening they were thinking(the backers) of opening it up for fee.

good thought though kenny....i could be shooting myself in the foot!

Kenny

because I sleep under them

Ha! well it would be behind the big dunes a mile to the south and have maybe 20 spaces.Most of the focus is a retreat center for group camping.When that wasn't happening they were thinking(the backers) of opening it up for fee.

good thought though kenny....i could be shooting myself in the foot!
:idea:There's no one better, so I'll run it Jerry!!

In case some of you new people don't know it... It's been determined that I'm not trailer trash because I sleep under them, instead of in em.:cool:

Attachments

joester

2 salty dawgs
rv's

well you all know what a PITA us rv'ers can be - always wanting things like electricity, water and sewer hookups if we going to stay any length of time.
downside is - make it too nice, and nobody will leave......
so we're back to where the occasional visitor still will have no place to stay.
like Rosanne Rosanna Danna once said: "it's always something":cheers:

T

toesinthesand

I've just been reading this thread and you all sure made me feel like I missed the best of times. I have recently started going regularly to RP because I have a good deal worked out at one of the condos. (I don't have an RV......yet)

I love RP and the people but I definately feel what you are talking about in the condos. Haven't met any "good friends" there. People stick to themselves unless they know one another from home.

I wish I could find what you all had years ago, a place to hang out with nice people. A few things to keep you entertained if you want it, good prices so you feel happy that your getting a great deal etc...

I went shopping and saw some glasses in a store that I bought at Pier One for half the price. What's up with that? I see from reading your posts that RP has been through a phase of greed.

Gosh, I hope it finds itself soon. I really love it but I'm beginning to get bored. Nothing is going on....

Thanks for all the insights! Going to try it again tomorrow.....

P

Penasco Pirate

Martin at the Parrot...he has many stories of the past and the old timers that I meet have the same. It is a shame to know what has become of Penacso. I for one will not stop going down...I have too many friends there to stop. The condos are there and we can't do anything about it, altough I miss seeing the beach like it was 10 years ago(10 YEARS? many know it longer than me!). I do wish they would crumble along with what they have turned our paradise into...seems those people are the same ones crying wolf anyway.

Oh well, Se La Vi Say The Old Folks, Goes To Show You Never Can Tell.:D

Kenny
Ha! Kenny, you made me chuckle. Reminded me of an acquaintance who was always saying "Kay Sarah Sarah", unaware that he was not exactly saying it right. We never corrected him because we so enjoyed hearing it that we picked it up ourselves. A shrug of the shoulders, a big smile and a "Kay Sarah Sarah" became like a private joke. (For the uninitiated, he was trying to say "Que sera, sera", accent on the last syllable-- What will be, will be)

Not that you said it wrong, it was just the spelling and for all I know you did it on purpose (spelling it as though it were Spanish rather than French). I'm not laughing at you, just smiling at the memory of Kay Sarah Sarah.

Oh gawd, now I sound like the spelling police. Never mind. :roll: :lol:

Reminiscing of the slow summers at Rocky Point.
Does anyone dance on top of the decks until sunrise anymore?
Most of the dancers are now too old....they hit the sack at 8pm.....and the decks probably would collapse from dry rot....:rofl::stir:

Better batten the hatch for the aftermath.....:moon:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
If I had a sundeck, I would be dancing on it still. All of you, my forum family, would be invited. Remember that, some day...........it will happen.

Okay, who has a sundeck we can borrow????? I bet LJ and I can give those young chicks a good run for their money when it comes to shakin the groove thing, especially on a sundeck LOL!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh Ha Ha Beachgirl!!!!!!!! If I shook MY groove thing too hard, people would get hurt!!!!!:woo::moon::mrgreen::eek3:

I'll be down Memorial Day for 5 days, Friday thru Tuesday. Let's have a drink!

toes in the sand
You mentioned no friennds. Well that is a function of where you are staying. Most people these days do not know their neighbors at home and they tend to not know their neighbors there either. Now for the RV folks. I get set up and go for a walk. I talk to any that will listen and that is most folks. My wife jokes that I talk to every one. But it is not just me. As we sit at the RV others walking by will also say Hi and many conversations ensue The RV experience is far different from Home owners life. I will never change to ownership as we like the ability to move around, we like the friendliness and the way of life.
Raise my rent above what I consider fair and I will move to another RV place. Try that in your Condo!