Translated Press Release and bullet points

Situation under control in Rocky Point

Mayor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta: Authorities acted according to security protocol

HERMOSILLO, SON; 18 DICEMBER 2013.- Rocky Point Mayor Professor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta has informed that the situation is calm after a confrontation between Mexican Federal authorities and members of a criminal organization in the early morning hours in the area known as Sandy Beach.

In a press conference where he was accompanied by State Attorney General (PGEJ), Carlos Navarro Sugich, the Mayor assured the public that thanks to the rapid and strong response by all three levels of law enforcement, “the situation is now under control”.

“The residents of Puerto Peñasco can relax…as can tourists in the area where many condominiums are found. Security protocols were followed according to law enforcement regulations”, he said.

Figueroa Zazueta further explained that the operation is now one of vigilance in the city, meant to insure the safety and security of residents and visitors. He went on to thank Governor Guillermo Padrés Elías and Attorney General Navarro Sugich.

The Mayor pointed out that this is the first time this type of violent confrontation has occurred during his Administration, and that the incident unfolded in a dramatic manner and would surely capture public attention, despite more than a year of tranquility.

“Tourists living in or visiting the area should feel safe and take comfort in the fact that three levels of law enforcement came together to smother criminal activity, leaving only five dead…all of them presumed delinquent at this time.

“We understand the concern, but foreigners should know that this was a military operation specifically targeting those involved in organized crime who, unfortunately, resisted arrest”.

- RP is and will continue to be a safe tourist destination

- Today, Federal intelligence forces realized an operation that, among other things, sought to maintain that security and tranquility that we so enjoy

- During the operation, a group of criminals resisted arrest and were eventually quashed by federal forces aided by the Marines

- The safety of civilians remained at the forefront throughout the operation

- Although the operation was 100% Federal, it was done in coordination and with the cooperation of all levels of law enforcement

- The Mayor of Rocky Point saw to it that calm was returned to his city and personally guaranteed the peace and tranquility of all residents and their families as well as tourists and other visitors

- Mayor Figueroa Zazueta believes the intervention of federal forces should be seen as necessary for the protection of all within the city

- There is no curfew being imposed now that peace has been reclaimed

- Cooperation between three levels of law enforcement, as was evidenced today, is key to the tranquility of families

- Residents and tourists should take comfort in the fact that their safety is of primary importance in the State of Sonora

- Federal forces returned the peace of this community by acting rapidly and swiftly

- The State Government will remain alert and ready to protect the security and guarantee the safety of everyone in Rocky Point

- The message is clear: Neither Rocky Point nor Sonora have room for criminals and will make every effort to maintain this State’s status as the safest along the border

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Of course, today would be the day I was gone all day and then waded thru all the posts on here as well as Facebook........First I can understand how that would be very scary for those who were near. I have been shot at before and barely escaped being hit. You have no idea what a bullet whizzing by your ear sounds like. Second, I am glad that the authorities took care of business altho shooting from a helicopter down into the complex bothers me. I am glad that the message was sent that Penasco won't stand for this type of crime. Third, I will continue to go and enjoy my beloved beach altho I have already been told by one of my friends that they will not go with me now. I had just convinced them to come down with me next week for their first time......I hope this doesn't kill tourism.....I will be there Dec. 29th for a week. Whoever is in town please let me know and we can do dinner or something.....

MIRAMAR

I keep reading the message, but it never says how many people were killed or injured. I agree Lady Jeeper, we just got people convinced to come down, and now this.

El Gato

Situation under control in Rocky Point

Mayor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta: Authorities acted according to security protocol

HERMOSILLO, SON; 18 DICEMBER 2013.- Rocky Point Mayor Professor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta has informed that the situation is calm after a confrontation between Mexican Federal authorities and members of a criminal organization in the early morning hours in the area known as Sandy Beach.

In a press conference where he was accompanied by State Attorney General (PGEJ), Carlos Navarro Sugich, the Mayor assured the public that thanks to the rapid and strong response by all three levels of law enforcement, “the situation is now under control”.

“The residents of Puerto Peñasco can relax…as can tourists in the area where many condominiums are found. Security protocols were followed according to law enforcement regulations”, he said.

Figueroa Zazueta further explained that the operation is now one of vigilance in the city, meant to insure the safety and security of residents and visitors. He went on to thank Governor Guillermo Padrés Elías and Attorney General Navarro Sugich.

The Mayor pointed out that this is the first time this type of violent confrontation has occurred during his Administration, and that the incident unfolded in a dramatic manner and would surely capture public attention, despite more than a year of tranquility.

“Tourists living in or visiting the area should feel safe and take comfort in the fact that three levels of law enforcement came together to smother criminal activity, leaving only five dead…all of them presumed delinquent at this time.

“We understand the concern, but foreigners should know that this was a military operation specifically targeting those involved in organized crime who, unfortunately, resisted arrest”.

- RP is and will continue to be a safe tourist destination

- Today, Federal intelligence forces realized an operation that, among other things, sought to maintain that security and tranquility that we so enjoy

- During the operation, a group of criminals resisted arrest and were eventually quashed by federal forces aided by the Marines

- The safety of civilians remained at the forefront throughout the operation

- Although the operation was 100% Federal, it was done in coordination and with the cooperation of all levels of law enforcement

- The Mayor of Rocky Point saw to it that calm was returned to his city and personally guaranteed the peace and tranquility of all residents and their families as well as tourists and other visitors

- Mayor Figueroa Zazueta believes the intervention of federal forces should be seen as necessary for the protection of all within the city

- There is no curfew being imposed now that peace has been reclaimed

- Cooperation between three levels of law enforcement, as was evidenced today, is key to the tranquility of families

- Residents and tourists should take comfort in the fact that their safety is of primary importance in the State of Sonora

- Federal forces returned the peace of this community by acting rapidly and swiftly

- The State Government will remain alert and ready to protect the security and guarantee the safety of everyone in Rocky Point

- The message is clear: Neither Rocky Point nor Sonora have room for criminals and will make every effort to maintain this State’s status as the safest along the border

Rosie, Excellent summation - thank you. In the USA when the authorities go in to wipe out a nest of 'vipers' people feel more secure - at least after the fact. Wish it could have taken place in the middle of the desert rather than our beloved Penasco/Bella but it is good to know that the authorities are not just turning their heads and allowing bad guys to flourish.

Kmbphx

I'm glad the authorities took care of the criminals. Could someone explain how the citizens were alerted to a city wide lock down, was it on the television and radio stations and was it also broadcast in English?

As was stated earlier it's going to take some talking to get my friends to Penasco this New Years.

Roberto

Could someone explain how the citizens were alerted to a city wide lock down, was it on the television and radio stations and was it also broadcast in English? .
Have no idea where you got the idea that there was a 'City wide lockdown"
There was NO, repeat NO city wide lock down. It did not happen. Hence we were NOT alerted to a non event. People were in the streets, walking and driving as usual. I was doing so myself. Where these absurd rumors get started is beyond me.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
I heard from friends who think it's not safe down in Rocky Point. I ask them if they send their kids to school, go to malls, go to movie theaters, etc. We've had some pretty bad shootings here in the USA where INNOCENT children and adults were killed for no reason. Live your life.......
This has always been my argument - almost verbatim!