Triger fish

Went out yesterday in my inflatable and had a great time on the trigers. Nice size, great fight on light tackle. I caught one tiny Pinto so I know they are there. I did lose a couple of big fish that holed up before I could turn them. May have also been larger Pintos. I was fishing off the rocks at Whale Hill.
Going back to CG today and be back in about 12 days.

Went out yesterday in my inflatable and had a great time on the trigers. Nice size, great fight on light tackle. I caught one tiny Pinto so I know they are there. I did lose a couple of big fish that holed up before I could turn them. May have also been larger Pintos. I was fishing off the rocks at Whale Hill.
Going back to CG today and be back in about 12 days.
Bill... fishing those rocks can be a lot of fun we have seen everything from anchovie to zebra perch over there... in fact earlier this year my buddy Rick Hammer saw 3 dorado while we were spearfishing and he was so shocked he couldn't even take a shot...

if Chuck is up for it, we may fish from my kayaks over there this weekend... we'll try and leave a couple of big ones there for you, for your next visit...

A

azbeachboy

Mark,
I'm up for it. I have a float tub but have never fished off a kayak. Both this weekend and next weekend my friends don't like to fish...

A

azbeachboy

Mark,
We're leaving tomorrow afternoon! I'll see you on Friday.

T

Tinman

Can Triggers be caught from the shore there? I got skunked from Pelican Point (only a few small rock bass) a couple weeks ago. Is there anywhere Triggers can be caught from shore?? I don't mind losing some tackle as long as there is something to catch. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Can Triggers be caught from the shore there? I got skunked from Pelican Point (only a few small rock bass) a couple weeks ago. Is there anywhere Triggers can be caught from shore?? I don't mind losing some tackle as long as there is something to catch. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Yes I believe you should be able to catch triggers along the mirador. I think you have the best chance at a lower tide because I have watched them from below the surface of the water, and they like to eat stuff off the rocks that aren't exposed at low tide (good use for those big nasty teeth). So by fishing the mirador at low tide you will have better access to the rocks that the triggers like to hang out in.

Chuck caught one trigger from the kayak Saturday, I caught a male spinster wrasse, and a croaker... fishing wasn't the best, but like the saying goes... "Even your worst day of fishing is better than your best day at work" (only one exception, is if you fish for a living)