Trip report Aug 8, 2020

JonC

had a few run ins a few times. Last time cops wanted to pull me over I was down by myself. I did not fully stop wait a second and go I just turned right. Didnt notice the cop until I was turning and he saw everything. I was only a mile from my gated community. He floors it gets on me. I was going faster to keep him back. I am not pulling over I got a plumber hvac guy an my maintenance guy at the house waiting on me to open up. I am not dealing with the bs now. I kept going he screaming on his horn. I pull in my community close the gate an gave him the finger as he drove on by an start dealing with the my house problems. My understanding is they cant come in on private property and did not try at that moment. I have no respect for the cops down there and no one should when they pull shit like that shake down. Of course no one knows the whole story and if they did have a bag of drugs an it only cost them $45 then there lucky.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I assumed novena meant 9th street but I don't see that on google maps either LOL. 11th street shows as "Calle de la Rosas", just south of 12 st which makes sense (if you go to google street view the street signs definitely say "CALLE 11").

There is an 8th street that runs north-south and hits Calle 11, so maybe they meant that, or else it probably a street just east or west of it...
... siete, ocho, NUEVE, 10... definitely don't think they meant 9. Not even close to the same spelling so don't think it's a misspelling.

kahunito

3 or 4 years ago leaving " wrecked" the wife decides she wants to drive back to the condo. Shes pretty toasted buts its very late and not another car or headlights in sight, so ok. Not best decision but... Shes going fast before the 3-way stop and then hits the gas instead of brakes.! We actually caught air across the cholla road into the sand bank. Apparently there was a policia truck right there with lights off. I am oh crap you are going to jail!! Police man walks up to car and first thing he asks, Is everyone OK? We reply yes and Mucho Lo Siento Mucho Mucho lo siento. He asks if i am able to drive and i reply yes. He sends us on our way and truly seemed to be concerned we were ok. Lesson learned.. Will never chance it again!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I love these stories. Look, I'd be lying if I said that shit doesn't happen if you're sober. It still does. And us gringos? Pacifico por favor el culo Tecate!

Personally, I've been blessed and never been raped by the policia. But to Joe's point, names do matter.

To quote an old Navy expression: It's not who you know or who you blow. It's HOW you blow who ya know.

Having a few well known locals on speed dial can make a HUGE difference when said shit suddenly gets shoveled into the fan.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Mexico has been so forgiving to my idiotic ideas and actions I had while drinking in Penasco and a few other locals in Mexico.

If I was in the US, I'm sure some serious jail time would have been involved if I was caught.

In Mexico I could usually talk my way out of it or slip a $20 to somebody to let us go. ($$ more lately)
I have my local insurance agent's and a couple of local friends on speed dial just in case these days.
But I'm way calmer now as my wild friends and I are older now.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
... siete, ocho, NUEVE, 10... definitely don't think they meant 9. Not even close to the same spelling so don't think it's a misspelling.
Yes, NINE (9) is NUEVE, but NINTH (9th) is NOVENA/NOVENO. That's why I thought that if the gringos said they were on ninth street it may have been translated in the article to calle novena (instead of calle nueve)

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Yes, NINE (9) is NUEVE, but NINTH (9th) is NOVENA/NOVENO. That's why I thought that if the gringos said they were on ninth street it may have been translated in the article to calle novena (instead of calle nueve)
Just learned the word for ninth. Thank you. My apologies!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Joe and
Just learned the word for ninth. Thank you. My apologies!
not saying that you both are wrong but at this junction, quoting my friend G Lopez, it seems to me that Marty used google translate or someone did before him, as it will translate "Calle 9" spelled out "Calle Nueve" as the English counterpart "Ninth Street" for those not versed in the language and street signs, generally writing in Spanish you will have "Calle 9" or "Calle Nueve" unlike English we do not use the "ordinal" numbers to name streets as you do in English "4th Ave" or "Ninth Street" I hate Google Translate 'cause it is not perfect but love it as it will take out of a bind in no time, however, I am offering spanish.......just kidding!!!!

PS: by the way Joe yesterday at 7:46 pm post you say "Noventa is 19... sooooo maybe it's possible it was on 19th street."

Noventa is 90
Decimonovena(o) is 19th

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
not saying that you both are wrong but at this junction, quoting my friend G Lopez, it seems to me that Marty used google translate or someone did before him, as it will translate "Calle 9" spelled out "Calle Nueve" as the English counterpart "Ninth Street" for those not versed in the language and street signs, generally writing in Spanish you will have "Calle 9" or "Calle Nueve" unlike English we do not use the "ordinal" numbers to name streets as you do in English "4th Ave" or "Ninth Street" I hate Google Translate 'cause it is not perfect but love it as it will take out of a bind in no time, however, I am offering spanish.......just kidding!!!!
I didn't use google translate, but I tested it just now and it is interesting. If you enter "calle nueve" in spanish it will correctly translate it to "9th street". BUT if you enter "9th street" in english it will incorrectly translate it to "novena calle" (instead of calle nueve)
When the gringos who got pulled over told their story to the Mexican news site, they probably just ran the text of the story through google translate and thus got the confusing street reference.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe and

PS: by the way Joe yesterday at 7:46 pm post you say "Noventa is 19... sooooo maybe it's possible it was on 19th street."

Noventa is 90
Decimonovena(o) is 19th
Jesus I must have been high! That's some GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD SHIT!!!! Yes, dieci nueve is 19. I used to be able to count to a 100 like a good little 6th grader but now my spanish is going away faster than the MIDDLE CLASS.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Noventa, is 90 Mexico Joe. (I know he was asking about Novena). Even a Gringa knows that! JK
I must have gotten too high before I wrote that. I know this is hard to believe but I actually used to be able to read/write/speak college level spanish. BUUUUUUUUUUUUT when you stop using the language for all meaningful purpose for the last 10 years things become REAL CLOUDY. Add the weed and man.... might need some ADEROL to stay focused!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I didn't use google translate, but I tested it just now and it is interesting. If you enter "calle nueve" in spanish it will correctly translate it to "9th street". BUT if you enter "9th street" in english it will incorrectly translate it to "novena calle" (instead of calle nueve)
When the gringos who got pulled over told their story to the Mexican news site, they probably just ran the text of the story through google translate and thus got the confusing street reference.
So do we know what part of town we think this happened?

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
In the article, it says they were on "Calle Nueve" (or Novena hehehe) near "Calle 11". I can't find a "Calle 9" on any map, BUT there is a "Calle 8" which intersects "Calle 11" (aka Calle de las Rosas) Therefore I think it may have happened somewhere in the area of the red circle...

playaperro

El Pirata
Unfortunately, corruption abounds, but so does decency. A recent story for you.

Mi amigo and I got down to Penasco late afternoon on a Friday. Went to Whale Hill and pulled the boat out, proceeded down Freemont to the Pemex to gas up the boat (across from Reggies). Felt a bump going down Freemont, but it was full of potholes, so didn't stop. At the Pemex, mi amigo jumps up on the boat, the T-top support is cut and the captain's seat is gone. There's shrapnel all over the deck of the boat. Daphuq?

Here come the policia, blue lights flashing. Senor, you need to follow us up the street. Okay, we did. Apparently, we caught a low hanging line that WAS STAPLED TO A PALM TREE in the median, which in turn, brought down a steel cable line from just after the Bomeberos to nearly the Pemex. The steel cable sawed through the T-top support, a 1 inch aluminum tube, whipped in the back of the boat, and ripped out the driver's seat. Anybody riding in the boat would have been killed instantly.

It was clear that the wire in question was illegal and we pointed out the spot were you could see it ripped from the palm tree to the police. They took pictures. Your boat is too big!

Follow us to the police station. Okay, we followed them through more dangling low placed wires to the station. Provided registration, insurance, ID, etc. They got a tape measure and measured the boat's height from ground to the T-top. Then the Sargent got on the phone with the commandante. I was standing close enough to hear part of the conversation (en Español) and the commandante basically said "Not their fault, these idiots string illegal wires everywhere!"

The Sargent hung up and handed me all the paperwork and drivers licenses and said "You are free to go." I walked over to my amigo, who was digging in the truck for some other paperwork and slapped him on the ass. Told him "Get in drive, NOW! We're outta here!" He was like how much did you pay him??? Not a dime, but let's go Now!

Dropped the boat at Safe Marine, then went back to Freemont, parked, and walked along the downed lines looking for the seat. Sure enough, a lady with a small pharmacia had picked it up and it was sitting right next to the door. Told her the seat was ours, thanked her, she said take it.

Quite the adventure. But one that proves they aren't always out to get you. If you're down by Calle 13, they ARE out to get you and I have another story with the same amigo that I wouldn't dare relate here (not affecting me, but him). If you choose to play there, beware!
Now that you have intice
Unfortunately, corruption abounds, but so does decency. A recent story for you.

Mi amigo and I got down to Penasco late afternoon on a Friday. Went to Whale Hill and pulled the boat out, proceeded down Freemont to the Pemex to gas up the boat (across from Reggies). Felt a bump going down Freemont, but it was full of potholes, so didn't stop. At the Pemex, mi amigo jumps up on the boat, the T-top support is cut and the captain's seat is gone. There's shrapnel all over the deck of the boat. Daphuq?

Here come the policia, blue lights flashing. Senor, you need to follow us up the street. Okay, we did. Apparently, we caught a low hanging line that WAS STAPLED TO A PALM TREE in the median, which in turn, brought down a steel cable line from just after the Bomeberos to nearly the Pemex. The steel cable sawed through the T-top support, a 1 inch aluminum tube, whipped in the back of the boat, and ripped out the driver's seat. Anybody riding in the boat would have been killed instantly.

It was clear that the wire in question was illegal and we pointed out the spot were you could see it ripped from the palm tree to the police. They took pictures. Your boat is too big!

Follow us to the police station. Okay, we followed them through more dangling low placed wires to the station. Provided registration, insurance, ID, etc. They got a tape measure and measured the boat's height from ground to the T-top. Then the Sargent got on the phone with the commandante. I was standing close enough to hear part of the conversation (en Español) and the commandante basically said "Not their fault, these idiots string illegal wires everywhere!"

The Sargent hung up and handed me all the paperwork and drivers licenses and said "You are free to go." I walked over to my amigo, who was digging in the truck for some other paperwork and slapped him on the ass. Told him "Get in drive, NOW! We're outta here!" He was like how much did you pay him??? Not a dime, but let's go Now!

Dropped the boat at Safe Marine, then went back to Freemont, parked, and walked along the downed lines looking for the seat. Sure enough, a lady with a small pharmacia had picked it up and it was sitting right next to the door. Told her the seat was ours, thanked her, she said take it.

Quite the adventure. But one that proves they aren't always out to get you. If you're down by Calle 13, they ARE out to get you and I have another story with the same amigo that I wouldn't dare relate here (not affecting me, but him). If you choose to play there, beware!
now that you have enticed us can you please relate the story about the putas. I find that humorous better than the cheap fuks on here pushing their political bullshit.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Back to my trip report.
Closed up my place in Cholla and left at 7:30 AM Wednesday, my wife was amazed because I'm not a leave early guy.
I even sent her a pic of a clock with the time. So she could complain about it on the drive home.
We drove out of Cholla past the Police station where they were getting the spray booth ready for customers.
We had to drive into the center of town to use the old Cholla Bay road to get to Benito Juarez to leave town.
B. Juarez is the only way in and out out Penasco currently, Still no spray booth at the main check point.

Drove into Sonoyta and just past the vacant donation station on the south end of town there was a police car lurking
waiting for speeders. By the time I crossed into the 40kph zone I was going 30kph or 20mph.
I crawled thru Sonoyta doing 20-22mph I had a white Ford Explorer sitting on my bumper the whole way.
We went thru town and got within 4 blocks of the border where there is a little hill and there was another police car
hidden, sitting on a side street at the bottom of the hill shooting radar. I saved the Explorer guy a ticket for sure.

Hit US customs with 3 cars in front and disappointingly the big x-ray machines were not running at the time.
2.5 hours later we were cruising into downtown PHX
Easy trip, but really, Hot, Humid, Windy and the Ocean like bath water, so pretty normal for August in Penasco.
We entered Cholla Bay 7 times and we sprayed only 2X. :)

We will go back in 5 weeks.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Back to my trip report.
Closed up my place in Cholla and left at 7:30 AM Wednesday, my wife was amazed because I'm not a leave early guy.
I even sent her a pic of a clock with the time. So she could complain about it on the drive home.
We drove out of Cholla past the Police station where they were getting the spray booth ready for customers.
We had to drive into the center of town to use the old Cholla Bay road to get to Benito Juarez to leave town.
B. Juarez is the only way in and out out Penasco currently, Still no spray booth at the main check point.

Drove into Sonoyta and just past the vacant donation station on the south end of town there was a police car lurking
waiting for speeders. By the time I crossed into the 40kph zone I was going 30kph or 20mph.
I crawled thru Sonoyta doing 20-22mph I had a white Ford Explorer sitting on my bumper the whole way.
We went thru town and got within 4 blocks of the border where there is a little hill and there was another police car
hidden, sitting on a side street at the bottom of the hill shooting radar. I saved the Explorer guy a ticket for sure.

Hit US customs with 3 cars in front and disappointingly the big x-ray machines were not running at the time.
2.5 hours later we were cruising into downtown PHX
Easy trip, but really, Hot, Humid, Windy and the Ocean like bath water, so pretty normal for August in Penasco.
We entered Cholla Bay 7 times and we sprayed only 2X. :)

We will go back in 5 weeks.
Thanks for the report. Claudia wants to go, I'm on the fence. I just don't want to step in the bullshit.