Trouble in the Shrimping Biz

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Well, I bought them and I'm going to make the shrimp in garlic sauce recipe from Rocky Point Tides, which is fantastic, and then I am going to make scampi, and then I may be sick of shrimp.:cheers:

I was told for years by a couple of the fish vendors that any shrimp sold during the summer months was frozen and came form Guaymas/San Carlos

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It has been illegal to shrimp north of RP.

The Line was set roughly from RP to San Felipe. No commercial fishing or shrimping north of this line. Only South.

That is a protected zone, especially for the depleting shrimp stock.

Santa Clara is way north of RP. Where do these shrimp come from if Santa Clara is 200-300 miles north of this line?

Does not make sense to haul the full boats this distance especially at $1.50 a liter in fuel.

Grand Pubah? What do you think?

I saw two shrimpers well north of the line this past weekend near the 23 mile reef. They were anchored (they generally shrimp at night). I was surprised to see them. A few years back, they had a big Mexican destroyer guarding the line, but without enforcement, they are going to go wherever they can catch shrimp.

I'm sure Santa Clara is, as mentioned, just a shipping point.

Roberto

I think the location reference is to the 'Home Office" address of the company only, not necessarily where the shrimp are processed or shipped from. I think the shrimp could have been harvested by Penasco Shrimpers, packaged here and shipped anywhere. For example, Nike's products are shipped from a factory or warehouse and not from a home office in NYC or where ever but you will see the home office address on everything, not the manufacturing or shipping point.

rplarry

I've experienced the same thing. I also used to bring home shrimp for all my friends. Prices for shrimp in stores around here are comparable to what you would pay in Rocky Point. I also know that a lot of shrimp being sold at Rocky Point has been frozen, but sold as fresh. I don't even bother buying any to bring home any more.
Back in September I had heard from one of the long time bartenders/waiters, at one of our favorites restaurants, that this shrimp crisis was coming. He said that everyone will be buying and ordering frozen shrimp and anything fresh will be frozen for next year in hopes of depleting the massive inventory that was not selling. He expressed deep concern for the local economy, obviously the fishermen and their families, as well as the quality of shrimp able to be sold at market and in restaurants.