Turkey

El Gato

Is it possible to buy a turkey in Penasco and if so where would be the best place? Super Ley? Sam's Club?

Are they allowing you to bring a turkey or two down like in other years?

Someone was asking and I know the rules change year to year and items available tend to change as well.

Tks.

I know it kinda takes the fun out of it and especially if you like to smoke your bird.
When we used to go to the sand dunes in Cali for the thanksgiving weekend, we would cook it up at home and bring in ziplock bags.
Just a thought. Then if the they give you any hassle at the boarder, just offer them some of the meat and tell them Happy Thanksgiving. (feliz Día de Gracias) or something like that. (google translate)

:)

Landshark

Terry C posted this recently...

Just a note about the border - Last Sunday when we came across we got a red light, first in a while and when I opened the back of the SUV the officer saw my two coolers. He asked what was in them and started to open one, I told him Frozen Chicken and Pork - NO BEEF. He called over another very friendly and polite young man who turned out to be from their Agricultural department.

He also looked into the coolers and was apologetic in saying the law has been revised within the last three months and there is now a complete ban on all fresh food meats, frozen or natural, for use in human consumption. He showed me a copy of the regulations, in English, and again apologized saying he could not allow the meats to be brought in.

Terry C

This was a follow up email I had with them....

He then surprised me by saying we would rather not confiscate them, since he could not do anything with them but throw them out, and strongly suggested I go back to the US side and see if anyone there could take it and either use it or donate it to a local charity. I did and the US agents confirmed they are getting the same rules sent down to them because of the Salmonella (Chicken AND Pork related) scares and the influx of Canadian beef with Mad Cow problems. The food is being sent to a local church's food bank - reportedly. By then I really didn't care.

jerry

Terry C posted this recently...

Just a note about the border - Last Sunday when we came across we got a red light, first in a while and when I opened the back of the SUV the officer saw my two coolers. He asked what was in them and started to open one, I told him Frozen Chicken and Pork - NO BEEF. He called over another very friendly and polite young man who turned out to be from their Agricultural department.

He also looked into the coolers and was apologetic in saying the law has been revised within the last three months and there is now a complete ban on all fresh food meats, frozen or natural, for use in human consumption. He showed me a copy of the regulations, in English, and again apologized saying he could not allow the meats to be brought in.
I got the once over on Saturday...they took dog mug shots again and suggested me have copies of our dogs papers with a photo of the dog on it to give them...saves time....Trader Joes already cooked pot roast was allowed in because it was cooked

Are the turkeys at Super Ley or Bodega frozen or fresh? We will be headed down for Christmas and will want to get one to cook for Christmas Day. Also, does anyone know if Sams Club has turkeys?

OK.....so here is a question for you all.
complete ban on all fresh food meats, frozen or natural, for use in human consumption.
I have never had a problem buying and consuming any fresh beef in PP. I have bought steak on a few occasions.
When we come with the kids, they are always wanting hot dogs and/or hamburgers. They do make hamburger patties that are already precooked. Not that I recommend them. but they are not raw. My Turkey idea where its already cooked. Would that be banned as well?
Sliced-prepackaged lunch meats, do they fall into the same category.
I understand why the ban is in place. Not complaining for myself, just had a few questions.

playaperro

El Pirata
You better drive around Burger King Todd. I would break them in slowly like taco night once a week, They are enforcing the food laws at the border and I will say the prices for meat in mexico are very expensive, you will get sticker shock when you see the price of american products.

didnt really answer my question about sliced luchmeats and precooked meats.
I know when you stay at a condo for 5-7 days, you always bring some sort of food from home.
I wouldnt buy any poultry from the grocery stores there. I always buy at Pollo Lucas though
What did you mean by sticker shock?
I dont eat BK in the US, why would I eat it there o_O

playaperro

El Pirata
Its like playing mexican roulette with the customs people, every agent interprets the law differently . They will take your uncooked meat, They take your dog food with any kind of meat. JMHO.

jerry

The High end sliced hams at a Sams Club match American brands.The argentine sausages,Chilean wines are really good too. The Saboretti pastas are unreal with fresh clams dug by unpaid American labor...
Turkey is sort of a bullshit meat anyways...over rated,usually over cooked and filled with growth hormones......go to Pollo Lucas and pretend it is a turkey....

I know at the Sams here, they sell some damn good bacon wrapped fillets - 6 for like 12-13 bux. Anyone ever see them in PP?
If you have a Sams membership here in the states, is it good in PP as well?

Roberto

If you have a Sams membership here in the states, is it good in PP as well?
If not pick up a copy of the monthly paper, Join Us. Sams has had an ad every month with a free pass coupon good for the month. No membership is required with the coupon

So we can't bring my 6 or 7 turkeys to lobos I take it. Why don't we shoot our self's in the foot while we are at it. I try to help and it is getting to the point of WHY BOTHER. Are they also busting you for clothes?

Roberto

So we can't bring my 6 or 7 turkeys to lobos I take it. Why don't we shoot our self's in the foot while we are at it. I try to help and it is getting to the point of WHY BOTHER. Are they also busting you for clothes?
It's nice that you want to help out and you could easily buy the turkeys in Penasco or Caborca I'm sure.