Turnaround time for a passport

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What's the turnaround time these days for a passport? My plans changed suddenly and I'm looking to go in June now. I've got it all done and inspected by the passport office here but was in no hurry to send it off. I'm going to drive it over there today and was just curious if anyone knew.
Thanks

B

BeachMom

Had to renew our passports last year (5/2008) and it took a week. Not sure if that would apply now though. Sorry I'm not much help.:sad:

B

BADPHNX1

Expedited passports just under 2 wks

I expedited 2 new passport applications in Phoenix on 5/7/09, recieved them 5/20 I think, just under 2 weeks.

AP

cheatka

What happens if you don't have a current passport but you have an old one? A person in our group doesn't have time to get one

The last two times I've gone through the border since the new rules went into effect in June, I just gave the border guard my DL and birth certificate. First guy didn't say anything, 2nd guy made a joke about me having to go back through Nogales and that I was now a Mexican citizen. Hah, very funny. Jerk. He gave me a notice, the other one didn't.

Still haven't bothered to get my passport, but may do the application at the last minute through the post office & show 'em the receipt.

Legally, they can't retain you if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you are an American citizen. (There's something about 24 hours and a consulate visit in the law, sorry I don't have a link now.)

Now, keep in mind I look like a stereotypical clean-cut, white, blondish hair, green eyes.. If I was ethnic looking in any respect I wouldn't mess with not having everything in order.

So, bring the old one & a receipt for the new one! (Btw, what exactly do you mean by "old" passport? Expired? Otherwise, you can still use the old book format.)

Last edited:
The last two times I've gone through the border since the new rules went into effect in June, I just gave the border guard my DL and birth certificate. First guy didn't say anything, 2nd guy made a joke about me having to go back through Nogales and that I was now a Mexican citizen. Hah, very funny. Jerk. He gave me a notice, the other one didn't.

Still haven't bothered to get my passport, but may do the application at the last minute through the post office & show 'em the receipt.

Legally, they can't retain you if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you are an American citizen. (There's something about 24 hours and a consulate visit in the law, sorry I don't have a link now.)

Now, keep in mind I'm clean-cut, white, blondish hair, green eyes and all that. If I was ethnic looking in any respect I wouldn't mess with not having everything in order.

So, bring the old one & a receipt for the new one! (Btw, what exactly do you mean by "old" passport? Expired? Otherwise, you can still use the old book format.)
They can't stop you from entering if you can prove that you are "legal"....but they can sure as hell make you wait a long time....while they verify!

I'm not positive about this, but I recall reading something about a possible fine....can anyone verify this?

JimMcG

They can't stop you from entering if you can prove that you are "legal"....but they can sure as hell make you wait a long time....while they verify!

I'm not positive about this, but I recall reading something about a possible
fine....can anyone verify this?
Get a passport.:roll:

Kelney

My buddy and his family was in the vehicle behind my family and we had passports and they did not. The agent told him that they can not prevent a US citizen from entering the country and kind of laughed at the new supposed law/rule of needing a passport. He got through just as fast as I did, well actually much quicker. I got a secondary check since I was towing my boat. Also, if the agent asks you what you do for a living and you mention your unemployed, you can bet your last dollar on a secondary!

Kenny: Hahhaha. Whoops! I just meant, I look like a harmless, goofy, typical Irish white boy. Not all that & a bag of chips!

Regarding the "fine" comment, I am 100% sure there's no fine. That was mentioned in each article that came out after the June 1st cutoff.

JimMcG

OK Jim, lets see you post right after me no...never mind.:???::cool:
At first reading I thought the same thing but with the double negatives I think it means that if GZ was Hispanic ,for example, he would not risk not having a passport.

Good Luck getting back to the good ol' USA because they check 99% of the time now...don't know for sure what happens if you are not up-to-date.
Maybe someone does?