Turtles in Encanto

Landshark

Last night 75 sea turtles hatched from a nest in Encanto. The made the short journey to the sea at high tide under the cover of darkness. The only people lucky enough to witness the event were Encanto Security and 1 homeowner. Security checked the nest this morning and found only 4 eggs that didn't hatch. A great day for the Sea of Cortez!

mondone

Whitecaps
Unfortunately, it wasn't the nest in front of my place. I checked it again early this morning and nothing. It is overdue and probably not viable, sad to say.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Unfortunately, it wasn't the nest in front of my place. I checked it again early this morning and nothing. It is overdue and probably not viable, sad to say.
Very likely not viable. I have an African Sulcata tortoise that I rescued about 10 years ago. She is reaching sexual maturity (she's huge and about 100 lbs. now). This Easter, I noticed she was backed up against the woodpile and digging with her back legs over a period of a couple days. I said to the wife that she was acting like a sea turtle digging a nest on the beach with her back legs to lay a clutch of eggs, which I thought was pretty odd.

A couple days later, I'm watering in the backyard and lo and behold, there's an egg laying there in the grass! Perfectly formed and everything. She layed several more during the week, but mostly I found them crushed. I knew they weren't viable because she's never been with a male tortoise. But, I did find it generally amazing that even though not viable, she was still going through all the natural motions of creating a new generation or torti!

mondone

Whitecaps
Well it appears I gave up too soon. Encanto security guards have reported they noticed that the eggs hatched from the nest in front of my casa on Nov. 10th . They got to see the last ones going into the water. A count on the egg shells estimates 94 turtles made it to the sea. Another nest on Encanto hatched the following day with an estimate of 104 headed out to the water.

What a great group of people you have down there. You should get a special gift for the security people and their famalies.

What a great group of people you have down there. You should get a special gift for the security people and their famalies.

Stuart You should consider contacting the Phoenix Zoo and see if they can or want to at her bread. If they do they would likely pick her up and return her. If you do this post what happens

Landshark

Playa Encanto Security received special recognition for their efforts in managing the turtle nests this year.
From Encanto Security:

"Good morning everyone, yesterday I received a phone call from Zofemat, asking me if we can attend a meeting they were going to have at Sonoran Sky hotel. At this meeting they wanted to give us a diploma for taking care of the turtle nest. Kiko Munro, the president of Puerto Peñasco gave us the diploma. Also there were Paloma and Marcia from Cedo, Itzel Cárdenas the biologist from Mayan, Mario Chavez from Semarnat, the chief of police, a representative from federal police, civil protection, and representatives of the hotels. This is the diploma they gave us. You guys have a good day.
clip_image002.jpg