U.S. Man found dead south of Nogales

S

Submarine

MEXICO CITY - U.S. officials confirmed Monday that an American citizen was found dead in northern Mexico.
The U.S. Embassy said the body of Ronald C. Ryan of Phoenix, Arizona, was recovered in Sonora state, across from Arizona, but gave no other details.
Jose Larrinaga, spokesman for Sonora state prosecutors, told reporters Sunday that Ryan's body was found the previous day partially buried near a creek on the outskirts of Santa Ana, a city 60 miles south of Nogales, Arizona.
A cause of death had not been determined and the body was taken to the border city of Nogales, Mexico, for an autopsy, Larrinaga said.
He said Ryan, 67, was reported missing May 3.
State police had reported detaining three men the following day who had left Ryan's pickup truck at a car wash in Santa Ana. Officers seized several automatic rifles, dozens of bullets and marijuana from the men, ages 18, 20 and 21, state police said. Local media said two of the men are the son and a nephew of Jose Vasquez Villagrana, an alleged key operator of the Sinaloa cartel who was arrested in February.
----------------------------------------------

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Detailed write-up on this in today's AZ Republic. Very sad. He had a long history of giving back to Mexico - taking clothes, helping with projects for the poor, etc. He loved Mexico and spent much time there. Sadder even still, the article confirmed that he was basically killed by the narcos for his truck - a new Dodge 4x4. The guys arrested for killing him are indeed related to a narco.

Link to detailed story here.

If it can happen to Ron Ryan, it can happen to any of us. Beside the sadness I feel over this and, given the close calls I and friends have recently had with truck thefts, it raises a real issue for me: At what point do I say enough is enough and just stop going to Mexico altogether? Am I truly putting my life in danger? Is it worth risking my life, my wife's, or friend's lives because some narco operative wants my truck? Obviously, it isn't.

I'm hardcore. I've always gone to Mexico, had a great time, but I've kept my eyes open and felt very safe. These recent events, because they hit so close to home for me, are making me do some serious soul-searching and reconsidering everything I've known and loved for years. And that causes even greater sadness in my heart.

Bueno Suertes, Ron. May you rest in peace in the Lord's arms.

JimMcG

Detailed write-up on this in today's AZ Republic. Very sad. He had a long history of giving back to Mexico - taking clothes, helping with projects for the poor, etc. He loved Mexico and spent much time there. Sadder even still, the article confirmed that he was basically killed by the narcos for his truck - a new Dodge 4x4. The guys arrested for killing him are indeed related to a narco.
It is a total outrage that these low life bastards feel confident enough to carry out such a scandalous crime for a mere pitance. The clock is ticking for Mexico to pull its act together and deal with its lawlessness once and for all.

Kenny

I understand completely Stuart. For starters the Playa Inn has always been a place where we've felt our family and friends, vehicle's, boats, you name it, were safe, and it's been that way for us since it was just 22 rooms. You have stayed there more often than I have through the years, and it must have felt like someone was trying to nab your truck out of your own driveway in some way's.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Thanks, Kenny. I'm still fine with Playa Inn because as you mentioned, I've got history that goes back to the very beginning of that place. If it had been just the attempt to steal my truck at Playa, I would of easily shrugged it off to "feces occurs" anywhere. But, with Mark's truck stolen the following week and the one next to mine stolen this past weekend, it's like enough already!! They've been doing this in the middle of the night, but who's to say that with fewer gringos around and less to choose from, that they won't get bolder in their attempts to steal them? That's the part that scares me the most.

Kenny

Has it crossed my mine not to head down in a few weeks for our semi annual great Corvina hunt down Santo Tomas way, even though I'll be driving a Mexican favorite, a chili pepper red Jeep Cherokee?... Nope, wouldn't miss it for the world... Would I stay again at the Playa Inn, like Don and I did in March?... Absolutely!

I've been going to Puerto lobos for 25 years and am going down to bring home the important stuff, as I don't know when I will go back. As Stuart said, This is to close to home to risk mine or anybody else's life I care about. To kill for a truck is gone way to far. Take the truck and for get about it. They have no respect for life.I haven't written off Mexico,but I will sit back and see what happens in the near future. Respectfuly Leigh

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Excuse me? You wanna clarify that "did everything wrong" remark a little bit, Jerry? The only thing even questionable was that he left before dawn -- and that being to take a friend to a surgery appointment at 6:30 in the morning.

You can truly be such an ass.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hahahahah - not. I call it the way I see it and in this case, it certainly fits.

I'm still waiting to hear from Jerry on why "everything this guy did is wrong". He certainly didn't deserve to lose his life over anything that I read. It's in extremely poor taste for him to even say this. Care to enlighten us, Jerry? Or, are you one of those Fred Phelps types that would show up at veteran's funeral and picket with signs saying he deserved to die because God hates homosexuals?

jerry

Hahahahah - not. I call it the way I see it and in this case, it certainly fits.

I'm still waiting to hear from Jerry on why "everything this guy did is wrong". He certainly didn't deserve to lose his life over anything that I read. It's in extremely poor taste for him to even say this. Care to enlighten us, Jerry? Or, are you one of those Fred Phelps types that would show up at veteran's funeral and picket with signs saying he deserved to die because God hates homosexuals?
OK Ok missed this and it must have been urking you.....Picture the time and place....hottest month of the drug war around Nogales.Gangs shooting at gangs on the road (many in shinny new pickups) He gets jacked (I heard at a car wash in Santa Ana) by some real bad asses from the cartel whiile traveling alone,in the dark,in a truck favored by drug gangs that are at war with each other and the police. He also stopped making himself a target. Hell if he was a hippie with a vw van you guys would have been pointing out his errors with glee..... Stewart you have to quit calling me names you equate this warning story to carry a God hates Fags sign at Soldiers funerals WTF man you need to take up yoga the fishing isn't working!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah, it irked me then and still irks me now when I reread it. Read the article, Jerry. He wasn't trying to be flashy. His truck was "found" at a car wash after it was abandoned by the cartel punks. He left Santa Ana early in the morning to pick up a friend in Nogales to take him for surgery. Your off-the-cuff remark about him doing everything wrong implies he brought this on himself, which is far from the real story or truth of the matter. He was gunned down by punk cartel members that wanted to steal his truck.

I would have felt the same about the remark if it was a hippie, a Mexican, anybody, even you. As I've said before to Happy - it's not so much what you say, it's how you say it. This guy did not deserve to die anymore than Robert Krentz deserved to die. Or Jimmie Dean for that matter. Your remarks come across as totally insensitive in the face of someone's death. THAT is the ONLY reason I'm busting your cajones.

Feel free to dance on my grave when I die. Although you'll have to be pretty good at treading water in order to do that.

jerry

he was traveling in the dark(some of the time,alone,in a brand new pickup in a war zone....he was a awesome person..I have learned from his situation. On the border reporter you should have seem how Michael tore into posters that claimed he was dirty.....awsome beatdown

and Jimmy Dean what the hell! ...it was a joke about a public figures love of dead pigs and the strange things he did with them for a buck.

P

Pete

RIP to the person who died. He was no where even close to Rocky Point. Last I checked this was a Rocky Point forum. I guess we better start talking about all the murders in Phx and the rest of the USA and we better start reconsidering going to the USA because people are killed in the USA & thousands of vehicles are ripped off in the USA. You guys are so PARANOID & have way to much time on your hands. Remember now, dont leave your house in AZ because who knows what could happen......

InkaRoads

cronopiador
......cajones......
cajones = drawers

cojones = huevos = huitos = bolas = pelotas = testicles

Sorry, I just can't imagine a guy walking down the street with square bolas between his legs, how uncomfortable that must be!! :eek3:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Pete? You looking for some more vacation? This thread (Jerry dug it back up today for other issues) concerns travel in Mexico close to the border. Being that Santa Ana is a short trip down the road from Sonoita, it is indeed relevant to all of us who GO OTHER PLACES IN MEXICO, like Nogales, San Carlos, Puerto Lobos, Caborca, Mexicali, San Felipe, etc.

Stop it with the whiny nonsense. Or, go right on ahead and make my day! Totally up to you.

jerry

ok it could be shell fish toxin leftovers from eating crab at the beach that made me mess with Jimmy Dean but i will never attack fast food again so you mother grizzles defending your cubs can relax.
Also on th eno fly list: no more put downs of
Rocky point Boosters talking out of their ass
Rightwingers that see the way to regain congress is to bash mexico
Fat Cochise county Sheriffs( i found out one reads this thing...and you know you really are just big boned)
illegals that come up to my house begging for water,something to eat and a frigging ride to North Carolina
Pigeon Coop buyers that are sitting on a property they paid 280 for that is now worth 220 (happens to the best of us)
Longliners...go ahead kill evereything then you will be just like BP land
Narcos...don't shoot long time customer
the border line.....sasabee live free or die durring the 4 hour ride to Tucson

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Stuart,
Cajones are drawers, like dresser drawers.
Cojones are..well... you know.
Chones are drawers, like underwear.
So, you need cajones to hold your chones that hold your cojones. Get it? Got it!!!!!!:-D:-D