Ugly Americans at sea....Baja Story

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The article reads like a lot of sour grapes to me, Jerry. One coopertiva that wants all the fishing to themselves. You do realize (don't you?) that EVERYONE on that San Diego boat has a Mexican fishing license, right? And although I don't know them in detail, I'm sure there are fees, permits and other large sums of money paid by each of the San Diego boats to be able to fish Mexican waters. And they also observe catch limits per Mexican regulation, unlike many Mexican commercials.

Since when is using "live bait" illegal when fishing in Mexico? I'd like to think I know the regs pretty damn well and have never seen or heard of using a live bait (mackerel, sardine, anchovy, etc.) as illegal, so have no idea where that guy is coming from about the San Diego boats using "illegal bait." If live baits were illegal, Cabo San Lucas would be out of the marlin fishing business, for god's sake.

Like I said, a whole lot of accusations and crying going on there, but not a lot of substance. I have fished that area before (in a Mexican panga) and there seemed to be plenty of fish to go around.

Last edited:

RJTaylor

In Band Camp, I put a Tavor up my pussy.
Right on the money, Stuart.

You can be damn sure that everything is above board, with the San Diego fleet.

FAKE NEWS..........

Two hundred pound plus Yellowfin Tuna are not caught off of San Quintin, BC. Maybe two hundred miles out and four hundred miles south. Why didn't the story mention the entire schools of Albacore Tuna encircled with nets from helicopters then wait for a Jap processing ship to pull along side, drag em all in, cut em up, package em up and not leave a trace other than a few Albacore scales. It happens all of the time, just off of the Coronado Islands south of San Diego. The annual Albacore migration barely exists now. When I was a kid we used to troll for Albacore and Skipjack within sight of the Newport jetty. The Polaris Supreme takes in anywhere from $1600.00 to $4500.00 per head for those trips and I'll guarantee the Mexican Gov gets a fair cut.

JJ

jerry

FAKE NEWS..........

Two hundred pound plus Yellowfin Tuna are not caught off of San Quintin, BC. Maybe two hundred miles out and four hundred miles south. Why didn't the story mention the entire schools of Albacore Tuna encircled with nets from helicopters then wait for a Jap processing ship to pull along side, drag em all in, cut em up, package em up and not leave a trace other than a few Albacore scales. It happens all of the time, just off of the Coronado Islands south of San Diego. The annual Albacore migration barely exists now. When I was a kid we used to troll for Albacore and Skipjack within sight of the Newport jetty. The Polaris Supreme takes in anywhere from $1600.00 to $4500.00 per head for those trips and I'll guarantee the Mexican Gov gets a fair cut.

JJ
He I didn't make it up...real story...gringos with superior tech getting the big fish...tell me it wouldn't piss you guys off if it were chinos in your backyard...sure their neoliberal crooked leaders get a cut...that would piss me off even more if I were a fisherman struggling to gas up....

I've fished from San Diego and they've been using live bait for more than 30 years (unless it was outlawed recently). This is nothing new at all. You can see the fish counts for many San Diego based boats online at places like this.

T

Hey Jerry..........

There is nothing high tech about the San Diego long range boats other than doing exactly what we do out of PP. They just cruise out to known locations were the fish should be, could be, used ta be, might be and look for birds and dolphins then start pitching live bait overboard. If they get some takers the others might follow. The fishermen simply drop a hooked live Mack, Sardine or Anchovy over the side and wait for the wallop. The bait pitcher AKA: "Master Baiter" keeps the school up close to the boat with regular scoops from the thousand gallon live well. I know this as a fact since I made some good bucks doing it as a bait pitcher during my high school days. A lot of those guys don't even take their fish home and what gets left behind is spit between the crew.

Also, there is not one word in the current Mexican fishing regs that prohibits the use of live bait anywhere in Mexico. Again, FAKE NEWS, only written to inflame the flamers who are nothing but totally ignorant lemmings and written by a totally ignorant reporter looking to stir up the bees for what purpose?

JJ

Yo Jerry..........

That's a good one! Reminds me of my Mesa Mormon relatives years back, always had big new cars even though they didn't make the money to afford them. Every year or so their cars would mysteriously be "stolen" and were later found in the desert out near the Superstitions burnt to a crisp. They would get the insurance check and immediately head to the Ford dealer in Phoenix and pick up a new one. They did it over and over and probably still do. Was a family joke but everyone knew it was a fact.

Those dumb-schnits scuttling their boat that close to shore should get a stupidity award. The bottom out there is probable five or six hundred feet deep but another ten miles out its is in the thousands, way beyond the depth for divers and insurance adjusters.

Also, another bit of weirdness, an overflowing bait tank sinks the boat?? All live wells that pump lots fresh sea water in must have a system for the overflow to go overboard, not to mention bilge pumps down below. By the way, the water being dumped from a bait tank full of crowded, stressed, pissin, poopin, scale shedding Sardines is one of the best "chum lines" imaginable. Sharks will follow it for miles and once your on a bite that juicy smelly stuff will keep the Albacore right up to the boat.

JJ

I can't see how the oceans wil keep up with the overfishing from the commercial rigs. I would like to see large swaths of the ocean be designated as off limits to commercial fishing and then make sure the law is enforced.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
They can bring them all to the new Dolphinarium in Scottsdale and people will pay money to play with the vaquitas!

<sarcasm>

Brings to mind the endangered Sonoran Pronghorn roundup a few years back......

Some environmental smarty got a brainstorm to chase them with choppers into a big pen where the could be monitored, "protected" and allowed to breed out there on the Goldwater bombing range. Around half of the animals died from "stress" actually fright. The pen is still out there and the most ignorant thing ever imagined is actually in place, they bring in water tanker trucks and sprinkle the desert in order for their "natural" food plants to grow in the pen. No one is allowed to get close to the secret operation for obvious reasons known as a fools dream.

They did a similar operation years back in the Kofa Mountains. Round up the "excess" population of endangered Desert Bighorns and "relocate" them to other mountain ranges where they used to live in the old days. Guess what? Half of the animals died from "stress"!

What a stinkin joke. Just like the tree huggers that love the wind farms for alternative "clean" energy but totally ignore the fact that the windmills kill thousands of migrating birds to include eagles.

JJ

jerry

JJ....must be nice thinking only the other team makes stupid choices,....let me tell you a out the Bowie "Clean Coal" boondoggle......

Hey Hoo..........

Wife and I positively identified three Vaquitas on 26 Nov 17 along the Salinas Point strand maybe five miles north of the El Jaguey pangero camp. They were two adults and a juvenile less than 100 feet from shore. We were slowly cruizing the beach in my Red Wrangler and they kept up with us for almost an hour. The adults poked their heads out of the water several times apparently looking at US!

If your "seeing a live one" was in reference to Pronghorns, I saw a group of ten maybe fifteen years ago on the west side of the Pinacate lava shield near MacDougal Crater. I have a skull that I found near the Sierra del Rosarios a few years back.

JJ

"one of the lightest mammals in North America" the text also states.

Funny thing though, I have a pet Silky Pocket Mouse that I caught out near Centennial off of I-8 ten years ago and he only weighs about an ounce, he is a mammal too.

The author also failed to mention that the "WALL" that will be "dividing these populations" has been in place for more than ten years now.

More sack-o-krap, the sky is falling, chicken little, unjustifiable whining drivel.

JJ

jerry

"one of the lightest mammals in North America" the text also states.

Funny thing though, I have a pet Silky Pocket Mouse that I caught out near Centennial off of I-8 ten years ago and he only weighs about an ounce, he is a mammal too.

The author also failed to mention that the "WALL" that will be "dividing these populations" has been in place for more than ten years now.

More sack-o-krap, the sky is falling, chicken little, unjustifiable whining drivel.

JJ
Go to Sasabe and see your wall...about 4 feet tall on the reservation...Now this new law being proposed that all passengers need an ID....that little bit of police state think will he effective....but at what cost....