VAT hurts!

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/3/estatal/2013/09/11/696331/oposicion-a-16-de-iva-en-la-frontera. Done deal I understand....vat goes from 11 to 16% on Border.This is a slap at the north for some reason.
Jerry, Senator Ernesto Gandara says it isn't a done deal. And congressman Enrique Reina Lizarraga will be in Penasco soon to answer questions on it. I'm not saying it won't pass, just that it seems to me that it's still under consideration. By the way, Gandara is on the Committee and is against the move. This information is current as of Sept. 16th. Has something happened since then that I don't know about? (I've been kinda busy)

Roberto

Value Added Tax, like a national sales tax. Common in Europe. Considered regressive and unfair by many as it has a disproportional impact on lower income people. Takes a much larger percentage of gross income in the lower brackets.

jerry

I like the idea of a targeted vat...do not tax food but nail alcohol....The ,Mexicans in the ejido by my beach place waste so much money on beer that it boggles the mind.If they brewed their own it would put a lot of extra pesos in their pockets.

MIRAMAR

I like the idea of a targeted vat...do not tax food but nail alcohol....The ,Mexicans in the ejido by my beach place waste so much money on beer that it boggles the mind.If they brewed their own it would put a lot of extra pesos in their pockets.

The tax increase passed in the Congress, and will now go to the Senate. It might very well go through, but hopefully not. It would affect real estate as well as anything else imported. There are other ramifications as well; tax on school tuitions, increased income tax, capital gains, etc.

jerry

How is it a slap at the north?
Right now the tax is 11% in the border areas.If you buy something at homedepot in Nogales Mx. And take it past 21 mile checkpoint they nick you for 5% more on the tax bill for example

Right now the tax is 11% in the border areas.If you buy something at homedepot in Nogales Mx. And take it past 21 mile checkpoint they nick you for 5% more on the tax bill for example
I am just curious is the 11% VAT tax applied in the south of Mexico, because you mention the border areas. Is it lower away from the border in the South of Mexico?

Landshark

Bitter news for fans of Mexican Coke
U.S. soda connoisseurs who prefer the taste of Coke made with cane sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup have long been fans of Mexican Coke, which still uses the old-fashioned sweetener. But it looks like their soft drink of choice may soon become harder to find: Executives at Latin America's second-largest Coca-Cola bottler say they may switch away from the costlier cane sugar in response to a sales tax hike on soda that Mexico's congress passed last week.