Vehicle thefts from homes in RP?

rplarry

I was just reading through the closed thread about stuart's and mark's trucks being stolen/attempted to be stolen and was wondering if anyone knows about any thefts or security issues with any of the more "american" areas such as Las Conchas? I always stay at my grandfathers place there and have never had any issues, but was wondering if anyone has, or has heard of anything. I know the security guards at the gated entrance don't look twice at who's coming or going.
Hope this helps. Received this from friend who owns in LC and was letting us use his house for a weekend last month. Not certain when he received this notice.

Security release from Las Conchas HOA:

NOTICE TO VECINOS TO BE VIGILANT
There have been three (3) robberies in Las Conchas in the past week. Things stolen included laptops, cameras, electronics, and cash. Two of these occurred at night while the owners were at home sleeping.
We ask that you be watchful for strangers and keep safe by adopting some of the following safety TIPs:

If you see strangers walking around your neighborhood, get a good description of them and any vehicle and then call the guards to check them out.
Keep your doors and windows locked at night or when you are gone from your house for even an hour.
Inform your neighbors and the guards when you will be gone so they can watch out for your house while you are not there.
Consider getting an alarm system.
WiTH Windows:
Secure all accessible windows with secondary blocking devices
Block accessible windows open no more than 6 inches for ventilation
Make sure someone cannot reach through an open window and unlock the door
Make sure someone cannot reach inside the window and remove the blocking device
Use anti-lift devices to prevent window from being lifted out
Use crime prevention or alarm decals on ground accessible windows
Sliding Doors:
Use a secondary blocking device on all sliding glass doors
Keep the latch mechanism in good condition and properly adjusted
Keep sliding door rollers in good condition and properly adjusted
Use anti-lift devices such as through-the-door pins or upper track screws
Use highly visible alarm decals, beware of dog decals or block watch decal
Lighting:
Use interior light timers to establish a pattern of occupancy
Use good lighting along the pathway and at your door
Use light timers or photo-cells to turn on/off lights automatically
Use infra-red motion sensor lights on the rear of single family homes
Message from Marcia Florian: Lock your Windows and Doors
The beautiful spring weather is upon us and with the cool, fresh ocean breezes comes the desire to leave your doors and windows open. Unfortunately, open doors and windows are an invitation to potential thieves.
During the past week, there have been two cat burglaries in Las Conchas. A cat burglary occurs when a burglar enters a property when the resident is home and is able to take valuables without being detected. In both of the last two situations, the burglary occurred after dark and after the resident had gone to bed. Both times an intruder entered thru an unlocked patio door. On both occasions, lap top computers have been taken. Our Manager, Arturo Cano is aware of these situations and the Security Personnel have been briefed. Since we have already had 2 incidents, it is very possible that the intruder may strike again.
Make sure that your entry doors and patio doors are locked before you go to bed. If you are going out to the beach, make sure that your home is secure. If friends are using your home, warn them to keep the doors locked as well. This type of perpetrator preys on the crime of opportunity and the forgetfulness of victims. So remember, Lock your Doors & Windows.
Additionally, should you see any suspicious activities or vehicles in your area, try to get a good description of the person/s and vehicleand call the Guard House with that information as soon as possible.

A

arizona ravelco

I you're worried about your car or truck being stolen you might want to check out our system...we can help prevent it.

Arizona Ravelco
NOTMYCAR.COM

Rhino

At the risk of having it pointed out again that we who live here know and understand much , much less about events in Penasco than some notable experts on everything Penasco, but who are living in the US.

I live here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and have for 4 years. I have friends and some aquaintances who own and or live in Las Conchas as well as other 'american' areas of Penasco. I regularly visit with 10 to 30 people per day here and we love to gossip about events in Penasco. We manage abut 30 houses and I have a good friend in the maintenance and repair business. I personally have not heard about a rash of burgularies in Las Conchas or else where. I have not heard of a single incident in about 2 years. I have also never personally heard of a vehicle being stolen from Las Conchas. A tracker was stolen in the Mirador about 4 years ago. I have had a vehicle parked in the street in the Mirador almost every night and never had one stolen. About 3 years ago someone broke a window in a vehicle during the night. The worst theft I have heard about recently is that someone is stealing the brass outside faucets from homes in Las Conchas.

Oh, yeah, I was out walking on Calle 13 after midnight twice in the past week and I was not shot, shot at, beaten, robbed, or threatened. I was molested though !! I did have a rather frightening talk with a gent about some delusional ideas of world domination by the IMF and financial industry.

Please note that I am not saying that things do not ever happen, just reporting my worthless daily observations. I am sure that I will be corrected by those US residents who know much more than I, their powers of perception and understanding are awesome and they are always correct. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:.
If you are able, I would appreciate contact info for your frriend in the "mainatanence and repair" business. Thanks

Roberto

His name is Armando Murietta, and 638 104 1806 is his cell number. You can also call 602 324 7241 and leave a message. He is completely honest and trustworrthy even though his great great grandpa was the infamous Joaquin Murietta of Trincheras Mexico.

I am not really certain this is an "apples to apples" comparison, but I got curious about crimes in RP after looking at this thread. I would preface my comments by saying that I am one of those who has visited RP for many (more than 20) years very regularly, but I don't live there. I tried to find a city in AZ with about the same population as RP and I came up with Prescott Valley, both about 30,000. In 2009 Prescott Valley had 16 rapes, 11 armed robberies, 138 cases of violent assault, 164 burglaries, 607 thefts and 46 auto thefts. Now when I think of crime I don't think of Prescott Valley as a real den of iniquity.

My gut feel is RP does have more crime than it used to, or at least I have heard of more things happening. It is losing some of its innocence in a way I guess. On the other hand we travel a lot, mostly to places in Mexico, and one common thread I hear is people (mostly Americans) complaining about how things are in Mexico in regard to crime, and I am not talking about drug violence. It seems somehow we think when we go on vacation to Mexico we should expect that we have a right not to have crimes committed. On the other hand there seem to be a lot of us who think we can act any way we want in Mexico and get away with it. Case in point... I was sitting at the pool at Playa Bonita hearing a guy I would guess was in his 30's, his wife and kids near by, wailing away saying that "the cops harassed me just because I went outside and pee'd along side a building." Mr Big Mouth here couldn't help himself and said.."So if you were in Scottsdale and pee'd outside Axis/Radius the cops would just let you?" His reply was, "Hey dude, this is Mexico". Now I am going to admit, I had a huge temptation to walk over next to him and take a pee right next to where he was sitting and say..."hey dude..welcome to Mexico" but cooler heads prevailed. (My wife reminded me that one of the fun things about going to Mexico was what we do at night and if I as much as showed my wiener at the pool, night time fun would be severely curtailed.)

Anyway, my point is, there is crime everywhere. No matter where you are it sucks when a crime is committed against you. RP may have an upswing in the near zero crime rate it used to have involving Americans, but we really need to recognize that it may be as safe as Prescott Valley.

jerry

I really like Prescott but Prescott Valley is sort of a rat hole....meth heads,upside down suckered homeowners just hanging on,strip mall after strip mall....of the Sub-contractors that built my buddies house all but 2 are out of business(some for good reason) all based in the Valley.This peeing outside thing has been solved in many Euro cities http://citynoise.org/article/566
I am not really certain this is an "apples to apples" comparison, but I got curious about crimes in RP after looking at this thread. I would preface my comments by saying that I am one of those who has visited RP for many (more than 20) years very regularly, but I don't live there. I tried to find a city in AZ with about the same population as RP and I came up with Prescott Valley, both about 30,000. In 2009 Prescott Valley had 16 rapes, 11 armed robberies, 138 cases of violent assault, 164 burglaries, 607 thefts and 46 auto thefts. Now when I think of crime I don't think of Prescott Valley as a real den of iniquity.

My gut feel is RP does have more crime than it used to, or at least I have heard of more things happening. It is losing some of its innocence in a way I guess. On the other hand we travel a lot, mostly to places in Mexico, and one common thread I hear is people (mostly Americans) complaining about how things are in Mexico in regard to crime, and I am not talking about drug violence. It seems somehow we think when we go on vacation to Mexico we should expect that we have a right not to have crimes committed. On the other hand there seem to be a lot of us who think we can act any way we want in Mexico and get away with it. Case in point... I was sitting at the pool at Playa Bonita hearing a guy I would guess was in his 30's, his wife and kids near by, wailing away saying that "the cops harassed me just because I went outside and pee'd along side a building." Mr Big Mouth here couldn't help himself and said.."So if you were in Scottsdale and pee'd outside Axis/Radius the cops would just let you?" His reply was, "Hey dude, this is Mexico". Now I am going to admit, I had a huge temptation to walk over next to him and take a pee right next to where he was sitting and say..."hey dude..welcome to Mexico" but cooler heads prevailed. (My wife reminded me that one of the fun things about going to Mexico was what we do at night and if I as much as showed my wiener at the pool, night time fun would be severely curtailed.)

Anyway, my point is, there is crime everywhere. No matter where you are it sucks when a crime is committed against you. RP may have an upswing in the near zero crime rate it used to have involving Americans, but we really need to recognize that it may be as safe as Prescott Valley.

AZ ROB

I have said many times don't do in Mexico what you would not do in Az. and everyone has a great time. Eveyone I have talked to about getting busted or taken to jail when asked the same question will always say no I wouldn't do that in Phoenix but hey were in Mexico. How would you feel if a person from Mexico walked up to your place of business and decided to take a pee. You would be upset well why shouldn't they? If we all travel with respect everyone has a great time.

Roberto

Yes, I get that a lot too. Driving like a fool, pissing in the street, getting drunk and aggressive in a bar, then complaining about the police. Good this it is only a very small minority of the visitors.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yes, I've gotten the same thing, Hey, it's Mexico...blah, blah....... When I asked these drop-outs from the gene pool if they would do whatever disrepectful thing they were doing in Mexico at home in the United States, they would say, "Well, of course not!" I then would say, "Well, don't do it here" and I just got dumb looks or swore at......:deadhorse::aagh::hairout: Argh!