Visa Requirements

ron

Is a Visa required to purchase property through a bank trust is Mexico? If so, which one .. FMM or Temporary Resident and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Ron, I believe if you go up to the search area, and search visas, property purchases, etc, you will find numerous threads on the subject.

I would review them and them come back and ask more specific questions. Our friend Roberto has a great deal of info
on the subject and has posted it a number of times.

ron

Jack,
The only problem searching the forum for info is that most of the comments are no longer valid due to the change in the immigration laws. Hope Roberto pops in with more current information.

Roberto

For applying for a Bank Trust all you need is a Mex. Tourist Visa. Get one right at the border, good for 6 months. You only really need other visas if you have rental income here or work and need a Hacienda (Mex. IRS) number. If you plan on renting you will need to go through this PITA if you want to be legal.
Other stuff is required, US Passport, current electric bill from your residence in the states oh and money too !! I am not up on the new money laundering controls and I think the process is still working itself out but you may be required to show where the money for the purchase came from. Smart way to do it these days is to set up a LLC in the US and hold the Bank Trust in that. Makes future transactions easier.
Lastly, be sure to use a Notario and pay all of your closing expenses direct not through an intermediary. Some have ot be paid directly to the Notario

Pinky

For applying for a Bank Trust all you need is a Mex. Tourist Visa. Get one right at the border, good for 6 months.
This has changed recently. You can get an FMM at the border, but it must be marked as business not tourism or it will be rejected when the form gets to Mexico city resulting in a lot of fees as well as the need to start the process over.

The FMM is only needed for closing and is a temporary visa you get at the border or for application on residence cards.

There is 2 different FMM do not confuse make sure to get the right one. If you get a 6 month fmm to apply for a residence card it will be rejected by immigration. Make sure to be specific when requesting it at the border. They will need to see your passport with the Visa from the Mexican Consulate in USA.

*30 days validity for Residence Cards applications in immigration in Rocky Point and this after applying in the USA Mexican consulate in the city you live. (no fee for this one at the border when crossing to Mexico since you have already paid fees in the Mexican consulate in the USA to get a visa to enter Mexico for the purpose of obtaining the residence card)

*6 month validity if used for closing on real estate purchase. (fees apply for this one get it at border when crossing into Mexico and pay the fees in Mexico)

If you need help with any legal services I can refer you to attorneys my clients use for their closing.

I am a licensed realtor in Sonora Mexico contact me if you like more information and I can go over this with any of you.

Feel free to contact me.

For new applications / first time
Take note temporary residence cards are of a 4 year period prior to obtaining the permanent residence card.
It can be prepaid for 4 years which I advise greatly much cheaper and easier (no need to renew every year).

Maria

gup

The FMM is only needed for closing and is a temporary visa you get at the border or for application on residence cards.

There is 2 different FMM do not confuse make sure to get the right one. If you get a 6 month fmm to apply for a residence card it will be rejected by immigration. Make sure to be specific when requesting it at the border. They will need to see your passport with the Visa from the Mexican Consulate in USA.

*30 days validity for Residence Cards applications in immigration in Rocky Point and this after applying in the USA Mexican consulate in the city you live. (no fee for this one at the border when crossing to Mexico since you have already paid fees in the Mexican consulate in the USA to get a visa to enter Mexico for the purpose of obtaining the residence card)

*6 month validity if used for closing on real estate purchase. (fees apply for this one get it at border when crossing into Mexico and pay the fees in Mexico)

If you need help with any legal services I can refer you to attorneys my clients use for their closing.

I am a licensed realtor in Sonora Mexico contact me if you like more information and I can go over this with any of you.

Feel free to contact me.

Take note temporary residence cards are of a 4 year period prior to obtaining the permanent residence card.
It can be prepaid for 4 years which I advise greatly much cheaper and easier (no need to renew every year).

Maria
This sounds like the Maria that gave us a referral, for an attorney, whom we paid and never received any service after accepting $800, for the acquiring of a bank trust on a lot, never happened. Office use to be above Bryan,s
sports bar. Would never recommend, you even consider using her.

Roberto

This sounds like the Maria that gave us a referral, for an attorney, whom we paid and never received any service after accepting $800, for the acquiring of a bank trust on a lot, never happened. Office use to be above Bryan,s
sports bar. Would never recommend, you even consider using her.
Unfortunatley the real estate landscape in Penasco is littered with stories like that. That office was not the office of an attorney. They may have been offering incentives for referrals from agents. Only use a Notorio, you do not need a 'closing company' and you do not need to pay additional 'closing fees' to the a real estate company as one of the big companies charges here. They just act like its routine, it's an additional profit center for the company that is totally unnecessary. To me it's almost fraud.

DeniseAck

I just closed on a property last week and I can tell you my experience--but since things change almost daily, you never know if it will be the same when the time comes...

• You need to have a stamped entry "tourist" visa in your passport to sign contracts. If you fly into Mexico, you don't think twice about it since it's the normal process. If you drive across at Lukeville, there's a Mexican immigration office to the right just after the border. ($23)
  • You can give someone else (eg: your realtor) Power of Attorney to sign the purchase contract for you (if they're willing) and you can't be there. This does require a whole bunch of signatures-- from your local notary to the county seat to verify them, and an Apostille from your Dept. of State to verify the county person.
  • If you want to rent your place out, you need an FM3 (Temporal Resident) visa and a Tax ID# to pay taxes.
  • Since my condo's management company is Seaside, they do have someone who walks you through and assists with the whole process to get the FM3/tax ID. Their website is www.fm-3.com (for informational purposes. I expect you can't use their site if your rental isn't with them)
  • I still have to go to my local Mexican Consulate with my passport, 6 months of bank statements that prove I make $2600+ per month, and 2 photos. If you don't get this done in the US, you have to go to Hermosillo and the whole process takes longer.
  • Seaside will then continue the process by submitting fingerprints, etc. They will also start the process of the Tax ID (and you'll need to sign another POA for them to do so) so your taxes get paid properly
  • It seems much less expensive to get the permanent resident card for $680 compared to renewing
Gary D quoted some great information from "Jaltemba Jalapeno" website on this post: http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/permanent-resident-card.8870/

The "Jaltemba Jalapeno" pages are:

garyd

If Sun Valley Visa is still open ( I'm out of town for a while so I'm not sure ) Dynora and Bianey have always been a great help

jill

Feel free to contact me.

Maria
Hi Maria- Do you know the hours of the immigration office at the Sonoyta border? Need to get my FMM .Not sure if they are open same as border . Thank you Jill