Wanna see the Tournament winning Grouper?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ok, depending on who you ask, the Grouper tournament did not happen this past weekend due to either:

A) Financial reasons (aka- no prize money)

or

B) Excessive wind and unsafe boating conditions in the weather forecast.

So as a result, no one showed up last Friday night at Capones to register for the tourney.

But, what's a guy to do when he already booked the time off work? So, Trent and I decided to drive down anyway on Saturday evening, determined that if Sunday was even REMOTELY decent weather-wise, then we were going to go fishing.

and boy, when we rolled in on Saturday- condition "B" above was 100% accurate- the Port Captain raised the red flag and closed the Port on Saturday- wind conditions were fierce. It even took me several attempts to get the boat into the slip without bashing the hull - there were actual waves in the harbor. Over dinner, we ran into Audi and when I told him we were going fishing Sunday morning, he looked at me like I was from outer space. When I told him we were leaving port at 4am in order to be on our spot for the 7am high tide, he looked at me like I was a raving lunatic.

But, come 4am Sunday, leave port we did, and we took a long, slow, spray soaked drive to one of our favorite grouper spots, and when the tide changed between 7 and 9am we caught 3 Gulfies.

Mine was about 50 pounds, and both of Trent's were 80+ pound Hogzillas- including the 88# monster in the pic below, which I'm sure could have been a contender for the top slot if the tourney had actually taken place...

The rest of Sunday was a bust, unless you count the Sierras that kept grabbing anything shiny that we sent over the side.

On Monday morning we ran out to Caballo for a half day and picked up a couple Pintos, and had some breakoffs in the rocks, but not much else worth noting. We were back on the road home by 4pm...

Also FYI for the offshore gang- the blue water is only 7 miles out on a 175 heading, and numerous Sails have been spotted (we saw one near the Caballo on Monday), and the "About Time" actually pinned one on the troll Sunday afternoon, but could not get it boat side.

The green/blue water line is clearly marked, lined with weeds, and there is a 5 degree temp swing on the breakline - We could be in for an awesome offshore summer if conditions stay that way (unless the wind continues to keep us locked up at the dock)

TrentGrouper.jpg

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Trolling, trolling over the bounding main... great fish, Robert!

Time to grease the outriggers!

Please Mr. Wind God, stop blowing and let the monsoon pattern settle in and calm the seas. I know that sounds odd, but some of the flattest seas I've ever fished were during July when the spring pattern had changed more towards monsoon. The humidity gets brutal, but the trolling can be great! Sailfish are an absolute blast on light tackle and, on my boat, strictly catch and release, so if one comes unbuckled during the fight, no biggie.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
image.jpg
Adolfo (About Time) saw three of these last week swimming together. We saw this one by itself about 12 miles out. Got a good view from the fly bridge but no pic from there. Thought it was a sail fish at first but upon further inspection and discussion it was a marlin.

Hooch

Oh goodness that's almost the size of my EGO, good job Rob glad I wasn't biting that day you would have won the bicentennial!

Kelney

Nice to hear of a good offshore report. I was down last week for 5 wind blown days. One day was actually calm but it caught me totally off guard so my boat was not prepped.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
View attachment 6140
Adolfo (About Time) saw three of these last week swimming together. We saw this one by itself about 12 miles out. Got a good view from the fly bridge but no pic from there. Thought it was a sail fish at first but upon further inspection and discussion it was a marlin.
Can't tell from the pic because, like most billfish, you're only seeing the tail, not the dorsal. Sails cruise with their dorsals tucked flat, marlins tend to have their smaller dorsal up. 99% chance pic is a sail.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Can't tell from the pic because, like most billfish, you're only seeing the tail, not the dorsal. Sails cruise with their dorsals tucked flat, marlins tend to have their smaller dorsal up. 99% chance pic is a sail.
Agree- The San Diego Marlin Club used to have a rhyme painted on the wall of their clubhouse:

"If all you see is a tail, then you're pitching bait to a Sail..."

Jeff

Stu- I was on that trip and several people said it was a Marlin-3 to be exact about 4 feet long. We cruised right by them and it had its dorsal out of the water. The fin did not continue down its back like a Sail does....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sure, Jeff... sure. :puff:

Actually, I believe it. I've seen marlin jumping in Rocky Point years past and have occasionally run across them tailing. Have also come across them sitting in the current break and sunning themselves over at Consag Rock (near San Felipe). They are out there, but virtually no one in Penasco fishes for them. Why? Customers want to catch something, not just spend the whole day on a boat ride, which trolling can often be. It's easier to hit a reef and let the customers slay some trigger fish and maybe a pinto or sardinero.

Especially if kids are involved. It took me forever and day to get my son and wife into trolling. "Dad, this is soooooo boring! Can't we go in closer to shore and bottom fish?" No, this is how we catch the BIG ones! A couple minutes later, reel screaming, huge blue marlin greyhounding away from the boat stripping line like crazy. I get the wife to drive the boat and follow the fish, while I desperately try to get some line back. 30 minutes later, I've got the blue next to the boat and gently pull out the hook with my pliers. My son is mesmerized. We tow the fish a short distance until he revives, and then I release his bill, off he goes. My son looks at me and says "Dad, I take it all back. That is the most exciting thing I've ever seen!"

Indeed! Plus, it's much easier to drink cold Pacificos trolling around at 7-9 mph than it is running from reef to reef at 30 mph plus!!! BONUS!!!! :rofl:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Where did you find that minnow?? LOL good job!!
We found him in the Sea of Cortez, near a spot where there is a rocky outcrop and the water is somewhere between 40 and 175 feet deep....

I'm sorry, I can't be any more specific than that... :cool:

Wally (Super Grouper) would probably know where we caught it, God rest his soul.

Ted

Nice catch Robert-did you get another video of Dave reeling in a fish?-priceless. About time someone caught something. Stu-you are sounding good bro-jerking on a 10oz iron all day in August's humidity is for a terminator-trolling on auto pilot, music and a beer is more better! Bring your special lures to Lobos when it is hot-we look for marlin and dorado:coldone:

Wow! Nice Baya guys. I had my money on the Tiberon for the touney with odds. Thanks for the comprehensive report. You got my blood boiling to drop a line. I was down last Thur - Sun but and never got the Avon in the water. Too much surf on Playa Miramar! Plan to try again over the 4th - 7th. Hopefully the wind God will have mercy. Any sign of dorado in the blue/green breakline? How big were the sierras?

dmcauley

Wow! Nice Baya guys. I had my money on the Tiberon for the touney with odds. Thanks for the comprehensive report. You got my blood boiling to drop a line. I was down last Thur - Sun but and never got the Avon in the water. Too much surf on Playa Miramar! Plan to try again over the 4th - 7th. Hopefully the wind God will have mercy. Any sign of dorado in the blue/green breakline? How big were the sierras?
If you had answered one of my calls I made to you or called me as you said , we would have been there too and caught our own Kim

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stu-you are sounding good bro-jerking on a 10oz iron all day in August's humidity is for a terminator-trolling on auto pilot, music and a beer is more better! Bring your special lures to Lobos when it is hot-we look for marlin and dorado:coldone:
You got it, Ted! As long as CJ does the "Magic Fish Dance", we should be good!!! :puff: