water shortage

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Group that was in our condo this week just reported they had to leave a day early because of no water. They said city is out of water as of today from holiday weekend crowds. Took them 2 hours to get into US side at the border as well. Can anyone confirm or deny how the city water situation is as of right now? We are headed down tomorrow AM.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Group that was in our condo this week just reported they had to leave a day early because of no water. They said city is out of water as of today from holiday weekend crowds. Took them 2 hours to get into US side at the border as well. Can anyone confirm or deny how the city water situation is as of right now? We are headed down tomorrow AM.
What condo? I thought they all had water storage tanks for backup.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Water trucks in Cholla were getting filled today as I came in. I'll ask my water guy tomorrow about it.

Roberto

Well Known Member
In Las Conchas I have a faucet that taps the water supply in the street directly, not from the tank. I use it routinely to water plants. I have been checking it several time as day. I can confirm that the supply in Las Conches has been spotty for about a week. A dribble yesterday, none this morning. It has not been constant and reliable. When there is some supply it is much less than normal, low flow and pressure. Off much more than a short time on Friday. The water trucks have been rumbling past my casita again.

Update// Friday 6/2 . No water last night and no water at 9 AM.

Last edited:

Roberto

Well Known Member
Just spoke to two people who live in town. One reported no water for over a week. Other reported irregular supply.

AZRob

Well Known Member
I haven't looked in the archives from last year, but if my memory is still working. I think the same thing happened last year about the same time.

Seahorse

As horible as many folks post, laguna shores water is still there every day. Sure, the tide goes way the hell out but the infrastructure is in place, operating currently at 15% of capacity, plenty of de-sal water. To each his own, but water is an important perk to anyone in rocky point. I like it, to those that hate....i wish you good luck, but things are are always available for me and i appreciate the availability of unlimited water. I hope that subdivisions across rocky point could learn by example. As far as the future of Rocky Point the mayor "Kiko" is looking at bids for de-sal for the city as it continues to grow and have water issues.

jerry

Well Known Member
As horible as many folks post, laguna shores water is still there every day. Sure, the tide goes way the hell out but the infrastructure is in place, operating currently at 15% of capacity, plenty of de-sal water. To each his own, but water is an important perk to anyone in rocky point. I like it, to those that hate....i wish you good luck, but things are are always available for me and i appreciate the availability of unlimited water. I hope that subdivisions across rocky point could learn by example. As far as the future of Rocky Point the mayor "Kiko" is looking at bids for de-sal for the city as it continues to grow and have water issues.
Like he has any money....this is a regional issue..I don't see why Mexico can't get more Colorado river water..

Seahorse

Because California and Arizona takes all the water before it hits the Gulf of California. And we have all those dams to store the water as well.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Before any more know-it-all quips..........and FAKE NEWS

You might wanna just take a little day trip from San Luis Sonora over to Los Algodones Baja California and get an eye opener.

The road north from the main highway follows the dry Colorado River bed up to the Morelos Dam where ALL of the remaining river water is diverted into the canal that goes to the Mexicali Valley. At the Morelos Dam the USA pumps millions of gallons of fresh water every day into that canal from deep wells on the USA side of the border, in accordance with long ago agreed upon treaties between the two countries. It is MEXICO that diverts the last of the Colorado River water into that canal. The USA has nothing to do with the river water not reaching the Sea of Cortez. One block from my house which is about five miles from the Morelos Dam the river today is fifty or sixty feet wide and up to ten feet deep meaning that there is still more than enough water to reach the Gulf. When the river is in flood stage the dam drops gates that prevent the wild silty river water from entering the canal thereby allowing all of the river water to reach the Sea and thousands of saltwater Mullet to make spawning runs all the way to Yuma, I've seen it many times.

Enough with the blame game.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Did not consider the fish in the Sea of Cortez "Mexican" fish myself....just think the flow needs to be increased... Mexico does have leverage as whatever the U.S. does on the Colorado River could have knock-on effects elsewhere. In particular, the same treaty that governs the Colorado River also covers the Rio Grande, where Mexico is obliged to deliver water to the U.S.

jerry

Well Known Member
Heck we used to float riverboats up it...think we can spare some water...blow some dams

Last edited:

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Jerry..........

Having a Mel Tillis moment are we????

Anyway, I'm sure that the Sea Shepard wankers are monitoring our scribblings at this moment. Tomorrow if not sooner our President will be held responsible for the "Vaquita Situation" and then to be blamed on Old White Racist American Men and not the most obvious Government of Mexico or Los Chinos Ricos de Chino Landia.

If the Colorado river water can't make it to the Gulf then the Toatoaba can't get frisky, If the Toatoaba can't get frisky then no mas Toatoabas bebes, If no mas Toatoaba bebes then the fifty thousand dollars "maws" become priceless (as per you post earlier today). All in all it's gotta be President Trumps fault.

There is no flow to be increased. The prehistoric water table level here in Yuma is dropping so fast now due to the Mexican water treaty that deep tap root trees and palms are now croaking and concrete home slabs are splitting to include my pool deck from subsidence. Those wells that pump water back into the riverbed must be re-drilled a hundred feet or more every year.

Mexico has as more coastline than any country on the planet other than us. Why in the hell are they not taking advantage of de-sal? The Sand Monkeys do it and do it well.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
"Fifty years ago Aldo Leopold hailed theColorado River delta as North America’s greatest oasis: Two millionacres of wetlands, cienegas, lagoons, tidal pools, jaguars andmesquite scrublands. Today it’s a wasteland.
The mighty Colorado River nolonger reaches the Sea of Cortez. Its entire annual flow has divertedand spit out into hay fields, water fountains in front of Vegashotels and thousands of golf courses. The Colorado has been suckedup to the last drop.
It’s once lush delta is nowa salt flat, as barren as Carthage after Scipio Africanus tookhis revenge on Hannibal’s homeland. This estuary used to be oneof the wonders of the world: a vast wetland, teeming with morethan 400 species of plants and animals. In fact, like the Nile,another desert river, nearly 80 percent of the riparian habitatfor the entire Colorado River was once clustered near the mouthof the river. The shallow lagoons in the delta region are hometo the Vacquita dolphin, at four feet in length the world’s smallest,which is now on the brink of extinction, with only 100 animalsknown to exist. Dozens of other endemic species are in the sameshape.
And not just animals are introuble. The delta was once the cultural mecca of the CopachaIndians, who made a good living fishing the estuary. But thesedays the fishing boats are beached and the Indians and Mexicanresidents are in grinding poverty, forced to work multiple jobsin distant tortilla factories, maquiladoras and wheat fields.". The Glenn Canyon dam will come down...might be a while but this wrong will be made right