weekend fishing report and name this fish

Weather was awesome this weekend but the fishing was very slow. I caught this unnamed fish on Friday the 15th and nothing on the 16th not even a bite. On the 17th we fished the incoming tide from as far out as we could and were able to bring in about 12 fish in roughly a 1 hour window then the bite was gone. We caught mostly rock bass and a few dinner plate sized triggers and that was it.

I think the fish below is a sculpin but ill let the experts say. It was basically a football sized fish, very fat and was like reeling in dead weight. sorry for crappy pics.

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sculpin for sure. Did ya CAREFULLY throw it back? You do NOT want to get poked by one of those spines.

I've been told they are good eating and we occasionally catch them out on the reefs, along with their cousin red scorpionfish, on the deeper reefs. I always throw them back because of my philosophy - "Some things are just too damned ugly to eat!"

:puff:

I'm glad i didn't touch its spines. I actually touched it on its rear fin to slide him back into the water. Definitely did not touch the spines luckily!

I have also heard its good eats but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Thanks for the info Stuart!

If you want to keep the fish just cut the spines off with your pliers. If you get stuck, hot water will neturalize the toxin. As hot as you can stand.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Weather was awesome this weekend but the fishing was very slow. I caught this unnamed fish on Friday the 15th and nothing on the 16th not even a bite. On the 17th we fished the incoming tide from as far out as we could and were able to bring in about 12 fish in roughly a 1 hour window then the bite was gone. We caught mostly rock bass and a few dinner plate sized triggers and that was it.

I think the fish below is a sculpin but ill let the experts say. It was basically a football sized fish, very fat and was like reeling in dead weight. sorry for crappy pics.

Were you able to get over to CB? I don't know if you saw my video but from where it starts, Tucson Beach, is a great place where rock meets sand flats = flounder. Tight lines

no i didnt get to CB as I didnt have my truck down this trip and didnt want to chance anything in my wifes little mazda. I did check out your video though. Only place im familiar with over in CB is JJs so would have to figure it out.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
no i didnt get to CB as I didnt have my truck down this trip and didnt want to chance anything in my wifes little mazda. I did check out your video though. Only place im familiar with over in CB is JJs so would have to figure it out.

Tucson Beach is right down the street from JJ's to the west. Google Earth it and you'll see how close it is.

just checked it out. looks easy to get in and out of and has good rocks and sand like you mentioned. thanks i will try to get over there in June when im back.