What are the chances the Gov't will close Lukeville?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Border guy in Lukeville told us we were lucky to make it back over yesterday. Said they had a group of 40 to 50 storm the border that morning there. They drove 'em back and shut the border for a bit. We asked him if they were throwing rocks and shit and he said "I wish they would have; my M4 was armed and ready, safety OFF!"

Shit's getting real. Lukeville is a small crossing and they have beefed it all up with concertina wire and had only one gate open, with armed Customs guys with M4s directing gringos into crossing lanes. A lot of vehicles in secondary. We know this guy, he told us to get the hell home.

For reals.

Reactions: gup

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That was ONLY at the border, by the way. We saw no signs of the caravan on the road or anywhere else. Penasco was business as usual and we had a wonderful weekend.

Just be aware that there is a chance you could encounter it at the border. We figured there are worse places to be stranded for a couple of days if they do close the border. I mean, you'll never hear me complain about a couple extra days to go fishing!! Hahaha!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Also odd, there was not a single federale to be seen on the Mexican side. Don’t know where they were all hiding.

Terry C

Well Known Member
Stuart, I posted tihs on the Encanto Fb page and I had a person email me saying it was "fake" news. So I questioned it and they said there was no news anywhere in Mexican news papers and they called the border and asked and again asked when they left. Border said there was nothing that happened.

So, I'm a bit confused why they would say that to you or they not allowed to comment on past events.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I have no idea. All I know is what the guy told me when we crossed. We asked specifically if he was talking about TJ, that had been on the news, and he said no, right here.

If I had to guess, I'd say they are keeping it all quiet and their eyes wide open so as not to draw more of them to Lukeville.

There are other reports here of them (BP) prepping for exactly this scenario, so none of it surprised me, whether it made "the news" or not.

He did say it was first thing in the morning, just after they had opened the crossing, so not likely many around to witness it. They were able to push the group of them back over the border and they dispersed shortly thereafter. No one was hurt, no shots fired or gas used.

Last edited:

Landshark

Well Known Member
It does seem odd that it didn’t make the news as the media has been all over the migrant caravan situation, especially border conflicts. They would have loved to do a news flash about this and get everybody all wound up. But they didn’t and once again our forum reports the facts, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hard to dispute things when they are reported as coming direct from a CBP Officer on scene!

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
Just an update for those interested. My wife decided to head to Cholla for a couple days with her mother and sister Monday 26th. Southbound, arrived at Lukeville +/-3:30pm, passed through with a simple spot check by the agents, then on their way. Came back yesterday, Wednesday 28th, arrived at the border +/-1:00pm, pre-boarder feds waived them through, US border agents with their standard passport check, and on their way. According to her, no lingering people besides the usual vendor/beggars, no noticeable tension...pretty much business as usual.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Bob, was exactly the same when we crossed on Monday. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, other than a single gate open and at least three heavily armed agents directing us gringos into each line. Normally don't see the agents with automatic rifles slung over their shoulders. Kind of a clue that something was up. And as said, not one federale or armed marines to be seen on the Mexican side. Just the one-armed guy, window washers, and tamale mommas.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Bob, was exactly the same when we crossed on Monday. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, other than a single gate open and at least three heavily armed agents directing us gringos into each line. Normally don't see the agents with automatic rifles slung over their shoulders. Kind of a clue that something was up. And as said, not one federale or armed marines to be seen on the Mexican side. Just the one-armed guy, window washers, and tamale mommas.
“The one armed guy”. I have seen this guy at the border for 30+ years, he at one time washed windows and had a bicycle with a cut off 2 liter soda bottle screwed to one side of the handlebars so he could use his stump to control the bars.

Terry C

Well Known Member
Yes, he is a long time border resident, we seen the lady in the wheel chair down by the first oxxo apparently sneaking a drink last week, well might of been a cup of java

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
“The one armed guy”. I have seen this guy at the border for 30+ years, he at one time washed windows and had a bicycle with a cut off 2 liter soda bottle screwed to one side of the handlebars so he could use his stump to control the bars.
Yep -- We gave him our business for many of his window-cleaning years, and -- after learning that he now merely stands with cup in hand rather than squeegee because his remaining arm has become arthritic -- we continue to acknowledge him.

ernesto

Well Known Member
He's quite a character. Told me he lost his arm in an auto accident. He argues with the lady in the wheelchair for best position. You'll get a rise outa him if you ask him if she's his girlfriend!