what is catching on the beach, let's hear it?

Old55

Well Known Member
Had one of my best days ever Thursday at Los Conchas. First cast at 7am and it was corvina after corvina caught 57 by 10:30am smallest was 15" and biggest was just under 24". There were 2 guys in a panga that parked a 100 yards up the beach from me at about 9am, was guessing they were dropping their nets. Good chance they were putting fish in the boat but sure as shit at 10:30 here they come pulled right up in front of me not more than 60' off shore and dropped their nets, whatever those things are called, they must be 200yds long and they do circles while dropping them. They scooped up God only knows how many corvina, totally ruined my very fun morning, guaranteed they saw me hooked up. Not that it's even relevant but it's that shit legal? Same thing happened to me at La Pinta about a year ago, fricken sucks. Fished the same spot this morning and caught 22 corvina, 2 big Triggers and a few bass. They didn't wipe it out but definatly put a dent in it. Another crazy thing that happened Thursday morning, had a corvina on and a bird, looked like a osprey but smaller, did a wild ass crazy dive and latched on to the corvina I had on with his claws, gave him a world class hook set as he was flying away but busted off. Also had a bunch of dolphins off and on not 50' off shore going nuts when I was catching corvina, don't know if they feed on them but they sure seemed to be.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Had one of my best days ever Thursday at Los Conchas. First cast at 7am and it was corvina after corvina caught 57 by 10:30am smallest was 15" and biggest was just under 24". There were 2 guys in a panga that parked a 100 yards up the beach from me at about 9am, was guessing they were dropping their nets. Good chance they were putting fish in the boat but sure as shit at 10:30 here they come pulled right up in front of me not more than 60' off shore and dropped their nets, whatever those things are called, they must be 200yds long and they do circles while dropping them. They scooped up God only knows how many corvina, totally ruined my very fun morning, guaranteed they saw me hooked up. Not that it's even relevant but it's that shit legal? Same thing happened to me at La Pinta about a year ago, fricken sucks. Fished the same spot this morning and caught 22 corvina, 2 big Triggers and a few bass. They didn't wipe it out but definatly put a dent in it. Another crazy thing that happened Thursday morning, had a corvina on and a bird, looked like a osprey but smaller, did a wild ass crazy dive and latched on to the corvina I had on with his claws, gave him a world class hook set as he was flying away but busted off. Also had a bunch of dolphins off and on not 50' off shore going nuts when I was catching corvina, don't know if they feed on them but they sure seemed to be.
great report.

was the tide incoming, outgoing, or slack when you started fishing at 7am ?

Perry Apfelbeck

great report.

was the tide incoming, outgoing, or slack when you started fishing at 7am ?
It was incoming, I think low tide was around 5:30am that morning. I've been getting upper teens to low 20's numbers of Corvina every morning since Thursday except for Sat. and today. I think it's more about finding them than the tide, I've caught them on high, low, incoming and outgoing tides. I'll make 10 or 12 casts in a spot if I don't get one or get bit I'll move 50 yards and throw again. Once you find a school you get one or bit pretty much every cast. I never found them Saturday or maybe they just weren't there. I watched the panga dudes putt along the beach for at least 20 min. Sat., they never dropped nets. They parked about 50yds. before they got to me and took a nap. Guy standing in front must be able to see the schools, guessing it's a waste of time to drop those stupid ass nets unless there on top of fish. Been getting them on 1oz. master casts, pretty much identical to kast masters but you can get 5 of them, at lure parts online, without hooks for $10 or $12 bucks. I use single hooks instead of trebles, they are less prone to snags at Los Conchas with all the rocks and coral. I put precut willow leaf blade stickers on them. Found some uv ones on ebay that have been working awesome. They change colors depending on how the light hits them. Usually tie a bit of white or chartreuse marabou on the hooks. Went to Morua, or however you spell it, and got skunked today. Fished jigs and rubber lost a decent feeling fish and had two tails bit in half. Talked to one other dude who wasn't doing much good either. Got a few more days to fish before I head back to CO and a shit load of new snow the way it sounds. My wife doesn't totally have her head wrapped around snow blowing so the 2 feet in the driveway should make for good times at 10pm when I roll into town.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
It was incoming, I think low tide was around 5:30am that morning. I've been getting upper teens to low 20's numbers of Corvina every morning since Thursday except for Sat. and today. I think it's more about finding them than the tide, I've caught them on high, low, incoming and outgoing tides. I'll make 10 or 12 casts in a spot if I don't get one or get bit I'll move 50 yards and throw again. Once you find a school you get one or bit pretty much every cast. I never found them Saturday or maybe they just weren't there. I watched the panga dudes putt along the beach for at least 20 min. Sat., they never dropped nets. They parked about 50yds. before they got to me and took a nap. Guy standing in front must be able to see the schools, guessing it's a waste of time to drop those stupid ass nets unless there on top of fish. Been getting them on 1oz. master casts, pretty much identical to kast masters but you can get 5 of them, at lure parts online, without hooks for $10 or $12 bucks. I use single hooks instead of trebles, they are less prone to snags at Los Conchas with all the rocks and coral. I put precut willow leaf blade stickers on them. Found some uv ones on ebay that have been working awesome. They change colors depending on how the light hits them. Usually tie a bit of white or chartreuse marabou on the hooks. Went to Morua, or however you spell it, and got skunked today. Fished jigs and rubber lost a decent feeling fish and had two tails bit in half. Talked to one other dude who wasn't doing much good either. Got a few more days to fish before I head back to CO and a shit load of new snow the way it sounds. My wife doesn't totally have her head wrapped around snow blowing so the 2 feet in the driveway should make for good times at 10pm when I roll into town.
That snow sucks minus 40 overnight here.

tabvo72

Hi, im a local mexican angler,
Dec 2 i fished from el mirador or playa de Oro beach and caught 30 corvinas in an hour and half aprox.
Best days to fish'em are days close to new moon and prior; some days at dusk and some other at dawn (usually full moon days fishing is really dead at daytime) . I use soft plastics DOA on a 3/4 oz jigheads pearl color with an Orange paddle tail and so far been really effective.
Greetings from Rocky Point, México

tabvo72

Hi, im a local mexican angler,
Dec 2 i fished from el mirador or playa de Oro beach and caught 30 corvinas in an hour and half aprox.
Best days to fish'em are days close to new moon and prior; some days at dusk and some other at dawn (usually full moon days fishing is really dead at daytime) . I use soft plastics DOA on a 3/4 oz jigheads pearl color with an Orange paddle tail and so far been really effective.
Greetings from Rocky Point, México
So far best fishing times had been with an incoming tide, dawn or dusk or with a full low tide at same hours described above.

rplarry

Well Known Member
So far best fishing times had been with an incoming tide, dawn or dusk or with a full low tide at same hours described above.
Thank you so much for your report !

This time of year, winter, I usually get skunked on corvina. Often see baitfish , but often no luck.

good to hear you had a nice catch