What Kind Of Gas Do You Get?

JimMcG

Gas is more expensive in Mexican border towns by design, in order to make it less attractive for Americans to cross the border solely to fill up. This was more pertinent in the past, when Mexican gas prices were substantially lower than US gas prices.

playaperro

El Pirata
If you look at wahoo's post he has the red @ 9.43 a litro and penasco sells it for 9.1 Did you ever live near a border town Jim? Nice try...

Hey wahoo twisting some lemons to make cevechi, In mexico a gallon is a little less than 4 litros, go by a pound of shrimp see if they don't short you. Well I'll agree with you I did pay $3..00 a
gallon that day. I was just doing a guestament with my post, like jeepers says always cover your a s s. Hey for the 6th time why is gas cheaper in Penasco than the rest of Sonora. You won't find it on any search engine. Kind of funny how you try to make something up.
Playa....a couple of weeks ago I had to gas up at the border coming down...at the big Circle K at bottom of hill....the posted price per liter was the same as in Penasco.....this was for diesel....didn't check the gas prices. The exchange rate the gas station was giving was the same as what the Cambio was giving.

playaperro

El Pirata
We really should hook up and have a drink, Anyway the next time your down you should ask the the gas attendent Why is gas cheaper in penasco than the price you quoted. Yo no quero pelan con
tiego. No Mas....hopefully you come down more often than Chicken Little!

If you look at my earlier post I explained why a dealer can sell cheaper in PP than in other places. Got to post #18.
You say in Mexico, go to buy shrimp and pay for a pound, see if you get a pound? Well that is my point, to me that is thiefry and at best fraud.

Yes PEMEX condones, selling 9 litros and showing 10, it is part of the bussiness model.
And in other places in MEX, Southern Mex, not so much in RP, it is common to water gasoline wiht diesel, cutting gasoline.

That said, what do you think the difference is between 9.10 and 9.4 Pesos? In dollars? Ridiculous right?

Why do you think when there are two station in US acccross the street from one another, one can sell for 4cents difference, it happens all the time. Tucson always cheaper than Phoenix, about 10 cents, and Phoenix cheaper than Flagstaff? Or why is Scottsdale ALWAYS the most expensive gasoline in the Valley? The answer should be clear to a logical mind.

On how do you get the best exchange rate, always price in PESOS and pay using a credit card, they will do the conversion for you. DO NOT USE street (shop, hotel, retail) money exchangers, kick them, I mean flash the credit card after you negotiate the price.

Rocky point needs to wake up to the REALITY, (the ads gaffes are really not that relevant in the big picture), Economic Reality is.

What is happening is scary, I mean economic wise, and if RP does not get in front of it, they will be steam rolled.

1., they need to treat tourists fairly!
Above one, they MUST, i repeat MUST treat the citizens of RP Fairly.

They need to cater first to their people and then the tourist will come.
That's fine....you get the best "rate"....but not necessarily the best "price" since just about every credit card company is hitting you with a foreign exchange fee....or some other garbage that they use.....

playaperro

El Pirata
Tu no sabes lo que ha pasado con estoys guays, no son "zonies" es una clica de hijos to la que yo no queror para nada.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Playa, I think that nobody in here has that answer, unless they work for the mexican government in the Dept. De Energia, now the question will be if the gas is the same price in the other touristic centers as it is in Penasco?, then it might be easier to realize that it is due to tourism!! IMHO

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I usually bring fuel ( super unleaded ) with me for my toys when coming down. Last time I came they tagged me at the border, and ended up paying. Do you guys that live down there think the fuel purchased in town has the same octane level as fuel purchased state side? Should I be adding a boost suplement? When buying fuel in town, what is their term for super unleaded?
When you say they tagged you for bringin fuel, what is the fuel limit without being taxed? Im going to bring my motorcycle in a couple of weeks and I was going to bring 5 gallons of PREMIX.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Mala seleccion de palavra...

Inka, entiendo como usted puede mal interpretar esa frase. Estés seguro que tengo un gran, gran respeto a usted y todo lo que haces. (Lo vi en la Tele, hablaste muy bien, lo felicito.)

No conozco este “perro” pero me lo imagino un “Amexicano”. Una persona que esta de fuga de algo acá, y vive de “busca de palomas” americanas. No pertenece con los Mexicanos y tampoco con Americanos.
No muestra respeto al los Zonies, y cualquier opinión que demuestra algo negativo lo ataca sin pensar.

Para mí, solo alguien que depende de estas “palomas”, “turistas sin cuidados” reacciona así.
Gracias por los alagos, yo la verdad, trato de no poner juicio en nadie, aunque muchas veces es muy dificil, especialmente en un foro donde no se sabe nada de todo y es facil prejuiciar a la gente, lo que si trato es de siempre tener un buen tiempo y reir cuanto mas pueda, por eso que trato de no hablar de politica o religion!! y muchas veces me han prejuiciado a mi por hablar con person-non-grata para los demas, en fin ces't la vie!! o como diriamos nosotros "se la vi"!! :eek3:

playaperro

El Pirata
PlayaP, Que es un Guay? Mexicanos? Tu molestia se nota. I dislike "roscas" too.

Again, read post ~~18. Tourists (americans) subsidize the price and each Station can afford to sell at a lower price than others in the same region.

FYI: PEMEX (Corp) sells Gasoline at the same price in all of Sonora, There are regional price differences, but they sell to the same region all at a fixed price. (Changed weekly)

PEMEX Stations are "Franchised" out and each franchise owner in turn has the flexibility to charge more or less than the target retail price. Each franchise has a contract amount they have to buy from Mother PEMEX, so they can lower the gas price to attract business, remembering that each station has many other services or products to sell.

I will not go into Franchise owners manipulating pumps/meters and cutting gas. Diesel is very easy to cut, diesel is the same as heating oil for all practical purposes. PEMEX mother turns a blind eye as long as each franchise pays their contract dues. This practice has given Mexican Gasoline a bad name.
Hasta la vista...Hey if you think your answer is right then u owe me the two beers instead of inka

Last edited:
When you say they tagged you for bringin fuel, what is the fuel limit without being taxed? Im going to bring my motorcycle in a couple of weeks and I was going to bring 5 gallons of PREMIX.
If they stop you with the red light, they will probably hit you up for any fuel that is not in the fuel tank of the toy (atc/jetski/etc.) I carry 3 five gallon jugs on my trailer with my jetskis, and now have been leaving them empty. They can tax you for that.....although I've only been hassled a couple of times, but never had to pay.

Just for info, going back to when some of us were picking up extra diesel on the mexican side before coming home, ADOT told me they can tax you on any extra fuel that you may have in the jugs....anything over what is in the vehicle/toy's tanks.

Bob Oso

If they stop you with the red light, they will probably hit you up for any fuel that is not in the fuel tank of the toy (atc/jetski/etc.) I carry 3 five gallon jugs on my trailer with my jetskis, and now have been leaving them empty. They can tax you for that.....although I've only been hassled a couple of times, but never had to pay.

Just for info, going back to when some of us were picking up extra diesel on the mexican side before coming home, ADOT told me they can tax you on any extra fuel that you may have in the jugs....anything over what is in the vehicle/toy's tanks.
He's right, any fuel in the jugs, but I wasn't paying the tax. It was the first time in a while they had their hand out for what I call the "down low" tax.

Any way, I'm not planning on bringing bought fuel anymore now that I know the octane level will work for my toys. And thanks agian guys for that info.

Now, for you locals another question, what station do you usually visit? Being I reside in Cholla I like to stay away from downtown if possible.

Mexico Joe...what kind of cycle you bringing, dirt or street?