What's up at the border?

I found this news story by Telemundo just a few weeks before the operation last week that was well done and really gives a good overall view and feel of the situation in Sonoyta that lead up the big raid and arrests:

Yep – with election time approaching, it is crafty to (suddenly) appear to diminish the cartel / border issue. But hey – good to see.

jerry

I found this news story by Telemundo just a few weeks before the operation last week that was well done and really gives a good overall view and feel of the situation in Sonoyta that lead up the big raid and arrests:
all credit to Telemundo...without the press,citizen journalists on Facebook and forums we would know nothing until we ended up in a cross fire like the lady in the report.When people kept the facts of a shooting incident from me in the Santo Tomas area I was nearly killed 3 months latter by being in an area i should have been warned to avoid..It made me question if I would trust them on anything else if they are not straight with us on safety issues.The same goes in all of beach areas and Penasco.The real estate hustlers,gringo locals etc. need to be honest with visitors and potential buyers and in the long run they with be better off too,

and all you guys say the state department issueing warnings is just BS...Well guess what, your wrong...
No one is denying or has denied that cartel are up to mischief in Mexico. In fact, they've taken up residence in the US as well (by invitation). The issue is that:

1. Annually, just before Spring Break, US State Department issues the same warning, whether there have been tourist problems (en route to Penasco) or not; and that tends to alarm those who don't realize it is just what DOS does.

2. While -- as Jerry pointed out earlier -- it is good to know of flare-ups such as the one in Sonoyta (just to keep clear of the action), Cartel are not waiting along the roadside to pounce on tourists. They're busy playing with other cartel groups and their boundaries. So unless you're in the drug trafficking business, the old "drive well-travelled routes, and avoid nighttime travel" has kept tourists happy and healthy for decades.

Last edited:
Will someone please tell me what part of the travel warning issued by the State Department is not accurate.

"U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco should use the Lukeville, Arizona/Sonoyta, Sonora border crossing, and limit driving to daylight hours. Please see above for general conditions for travel in Mexico."

During the same week the State Department also issued a travel warning for El Salvador.

Will someone please tell me what part of the travel warning issued by the State Department is not accurate.

"U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco should use the Lukeville, Arizona/Sonoyta, Sonora border crossing, and limit driving to daylight hours. Please see above for general conditions for travel in Mexico."

During the same week the State Department also issued a travel warning for El Salvador.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that issuance, I think most people don't, it is just mostly common sense to follow that as best as possible year round , being aware of situations like the one at the border on Friday is definitely important (preferably as soon as possible to help with any travel plans) but for whatever reason they issue it around the same time every year no matter if anything big has happened or not is for us to use our imaginations why. It does scare people so who knows. Maybe to detour out of state or country dollars being spent, maybe to cover their booty's in case or when something happens (as it will anywhere) so they can say they warned us. always better to be safe than sorry and informed, they didn't issue warnings weekly when I lived in South Tucson everytime there was a shooting, a robbery, or any other ugly stuff, I think there just wouldn't be enough time, I guess thats why its just what fills the nightly news after the fact but no one is warned to do anything we used our common sense.
I will be as careful as I can, hope the actual city of Rocky Point stays as safe as it is so we can keep enjoying it but I will live and travel and have fun , try not to sit at home being scared. I could get mugged every time I go to Wal-Mart but I chose to be as careful as I can and still go. That doesn't mean I wont eventually, I just have to do everything I can not to.

Last edited:

TICO-T

No one is denying or has denied that cartel are up to mischief in Mexico. In fact, they've taken up residence in the US as well (by invitation). The issue is that:

1. Annually, just before Spring Break, US State Department issues the same warning, whether there have been tourist problems (en route to Penasco) or not; and that tends to alarm those who don't realize it is just what DOS does.

2. While -- as Jerry pointed out earlier -- it is good to know of flare-ups such as the one in Sonoyta (just to keep clear of the action), Cartel are not waiting along the roadside to pounce on tourists. They're busy playing with other cartel groups and their boundaries. So unless you're in the drug trafficking business, the old "drive well-travelled routes, and avoid nighttime travel" has kept tourists happy and healthy for decades.
Right on! Well said!

jerry

I don't think there is anything wrong with that issuance, I think most people don't, it is just mostly common sense to follow that as best as possible year round , being aware of situations like the one at the border on Friday is definitely important (preferably as soon as possible to help with any travel plans) but for whatever reason they issue it around the same time every year no matter if anything big has happened or not is for us to use our imaginations why. It does scare people so who knows. Maybe to detour out of state or country dollars being spent, maybe to cover their booty's in case or when something happens (as it will anywhere) so they can say they warned us. always better to be safe than sorry and informed, they didn't issue warnings weekly when I lived in South Tucson everytime there was a shooting, a robbery, or any other ugly stuff, I think there just wouldn't be enough time, I guess thats why its just what fills the nightly news after the fact but no one is warned to do anything we used our common sense.
I will be as careful as I can, hope the actual city of Rocky Point stays as safe as it is so we can keep enjoying it but I will live and travel and have fun , try not to sit at home being scared. I could get mugged every time I go to Wal-Mart but I chose to be as careful as I can and still go. That doesn't mean I wont eventually, I just have to do everything I can not to.
You lived in south Tucson? Now that is cool!

jerry

Please don't shop at Walmart.They are destroying America.

ben21

they didn't issue warnings weekly when I lived in South Tucson everytime there was a shooting, a robbery, or any other ugly stuff, I think there just wouldn't be enough time, I guess thats why its just what fills the nightly news after the fact but no one is warned to do anything we used our common sense.
I agree with your overall sentiment, but it's not the State Department's responsibility to warn you of danger in South Tucson (or anywhere else in the US). They are however responsible for providing as much information as possible to Americans traveling abroad. In this case, they were definitely justified. In reality Sonoyta hasn't been a place gringos should be driving around at night for quite sometime, so it's hard for me to be upset at the travel warnings.

You lived in south Tucson? Now that is cool!
Great food , great people, moved to a "better" side of town and got our car stolen within the first month and another one broken into a month later. SOUTHSIDE ROCKS.
Had to leave to put my kids in better schools and get away from traffic though

Please don't shop at Walmart.They are destroying America.
Only when Im very low on funds..... very and almost have no other option. Just an example really but I agree their cheap products aren't doing as much good as the bad employment and business stealing they achieve

I agree with your overall sentiment, but it's not the State Department's responsibility to warn you of danger in South Tucson (or anywhere else in the US). They are however responsible for providing as much information as possible to Americans traveling abroad. In this case, they were definitely justified. In reality Sonoyta hasn't been a place gringos should be driving around at night for quite sometime, so it's hard for me to be upset at the travel warnings.
Not upset at all
I hope no one would be over something to open eyes, I just hope it doesn't put panic in people from trying places in Mexico. And that it is done for proper intentions . any info like I said is appreciated as long as its not bashing. If I would've left early last Friday morning to travel (as to try not to during the night) I wouldve been pretty scared and concerned so to get a heads up (from places like this forum, posts or news, whomever issues it) hopefully helped some people detour from that area at least for the few hours it took place.

Last edited:
The State Department issues its "annual" update for Mexico during January. The State Department also updates the information on Mexico anytime there is an increased threat to Americans.

Mexico's State Department (Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores) issues similar warnings to Mexican Citizens visiting the United States.

http://guiadelviajero.sre.gob.mx/index.php/estados-unidos

I am failing to find the conspiracy where a government body informs its citizens of potential risks associated with foreign travel. Is it not reasonable and prudent for people to make informed decisions about their travel plans if they choose to seek out this information?

jerry

The timing of this was horrible.The Pima County group that visited was talking up how safe things are....embarrassing