What's up with the Federales stopping everybody yesterday and searching the Vehicles.

audsley

Well Known Member
Could I trouble someone for a little more detail about the searches?

Was this leaving Mexico or coming in?

Could you describe the search? How long did it seem to take to search a vehicle?

mrchief98

We came back yesterday (Tuesday) and the Mexican Federales were searching about every 3rd vehicle coming back into the states. They were having everyone exit their vehicles and they were pulling everything out. Fortunately, we got lucky and were waved through. Not sure what was going on.

Naughty Audi

It was 6;30 PM. they made everybody exit the vehicle. Then searched inside lifting up seats and using flashlights to look under the seats.
My wife was driving and the took her passport info and wrote it down on a paper that was attached to a clipboard.
This was leaving Mexico and it took about 15 minutes.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Odd... on the way OUT of Mexico? They must have been looking for something very specific. That isn't a general practice that I've ever seen.

ernesto

Well Known Member
They were doing it last Saturday and 2 weeks prior . Young military guys with a dog and desert fatigues

Encanto

Odd... on the way OUT of Mexico? They must have been looking for something very specific. That isn't a general practice that I've ever seen.
The Military has been checking vehicles leaving Mexico the past couple of months.

Prob 50 yards South of the Border.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well okay then... but it still begs the question "Why?" Drugs? Training? Why the hell would they care if it's LEAVING Mexico, the US does a pretty good job if secondary is required. I don't see what this accomplishes other than pissing people off.

Encanto

Well okay then... but it still begs the question "Why?" Drugs? Training? Why the hell would they care if it's LEAVING Mexico, the US does a pretty good job if secondary is required. I don't see what this accomplishes other than pissing people off.
No clue.

Joint interdiction effort ?

mondone

Whitecaps
Yep, happened to me back in April driving back alone right before the border. Looked through every bag and box in my Renegade along with glove box and every other compartment. Did not ask for my ID though.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The USA does this often just before Canadian customs. Lot of times is for money. Could be the same here.
Who takes money OUT of Mexico? Hahaha! The bigger concern has always been drug money coming INTO Mexico. The drugs flow out, the money flows in, and so it goes. Meh. I'm clueless and I never have anything that could be considered contraband, so no biggie. Dig through my dirty underwear and fishy smelling clothes if you must.

:gross:

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
Came through yesterday at noon, took 50 minutes, 3 lanes open. Yes the federales were searching cars. Pulled over a truck 2 cars in front of us and yes it looked they were going through everything:(

ernesto

Well Known Member
Well, the next time one of us gets searched let's ask what they are looking for. Sometimes with the right approach they might share a little info.

Seahorse

I go down every week. They have the Federales pulling vehicles over after you get the green light from Aduana entering Mexico and also entering back to th US. They ask for passports., which I have. Told me no driver's license. They inspect everything.....luggage, under seats, glove box, console..... even went thru my purse. One time we were inspected the car in front of us that was just inspected from entering Mex they had to do a U-Turn and get in line to go back to the US. And yes they make you get out of the vehicle while they go thru it. They have been doing this for about 3 months now. This weekend is the dry ban for elections, so I would advise people not to bring booze down if you are traveling on Sat or Sun...and you can't buy in the stores or restaurants. Safe Travels everyone!

Seahorse

I might add on Sunday when we got waved over by the Federales for a vehicle inspection entering back to the US. The Federale asked my husband where we were and for how long. My husband answered his questions and said we have a home there and showed our owner tag for our subdivision...... and the Federale waved us thru with no inspection. This was around 9 pm. Once we got thru there was a new looking pick up in secondary with the whole front end removed, and about six guys tearing it apart. Yikes!!!!!