Where are the smoked marlin tacos?

I'm from Alaska where there is more fish smoked than weed.

The idea of the merge of Alaska and Mexican culture excites me. If we could get salmon, halibut, or even whitefish here on a taco I'd order that too. I tried the smoke marlin in Arizona and fell in love but can go along with the save the trophy clubbers.

Let's be creative and smoke some other types of sustainable fish.

Kenny

The idea of the merge of Alaska and Mexican culture excites me. If we could get salmon, halibut, or even whitefish here on a taco I'd order that too. I tried the smoke marlin in Arizona and fell in love but can go along with the save the trophy clubbers.

I lived up in the Pacific Northwest for some time and learned even smelt was great smoked, head gut's and all. Even a Guitar fish would be good smoked. That's one thing there's no shortage of up that way and you'll find it everywhere, smoked fish.
Now if I could just find a fresh Dungeness Crab

Eating mullet is an exercise of great patience. The little guys are just full of sharp bones.

I especially love the Dungies for breakfast with eggs, bacon, and jalapeno cheese deep as an omelet. We would get them minutes after the pots were pulled in the morning.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
For good Marisco's try Guamuchilita, they are on Sonora, west of Josefa, near the old Merced Market. They also serve smoked marlin, but not as taco's. They serve Marlin Empanada's, with a salsa Crema de Chile Guajillo. The owners are from Matzatlan. An Empanada beats a taco anyday. I think it's still bring your own beer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Stephen, i know this isn't marlin, but I saw a post about your wife being from Aconchi.A couple years ago, I traveled La Ruta Rio Sonora, with an attorney friend of mine from Aconchi. We stayed there for a couple day's, that is a neat area and probably the only Catholic church in the western henisphere, that the statue of Jesus is a black man. Seem's like most of the town are carpenter's and damn good ones. It was in July and the river was running full blast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEow_yCwLBM really pretty that place.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
I see you been buzy this morning Bill, an empanada beats a taco, ok but i just can't believe what these people from the south do to the food, empanada was a pastry last time I was at my moms house. Then what they put in the tamales just drives me back to south tucson..I guess to many escobazos...como me da risa...Thanks for sharing that corrido think i hear it again...anyway makes sense people remember where you were born but no one cares where you died!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Best Tamal, apart from south Tucson is Juan's Authentic Mexican Food on Thomas Rd. and 16 th st. in Phoenix. I bet you got a few escobazos when you were a kid. A pie is also a pastry here, but people still make chicken pot pie.

MIRAMAR

In the Dominican Republic and in Spain they are filled with meat, but the best empanada I had was in old port- a little boy was carrying a basket of pineapple empanadas. I bought one from him and instead of being doughy, it was more like a croissant- very flaky. I tried to find him to get more and couldn't. So if anyone knows who makes these incredible empanadas, please let me know
Here's the supposed origin of them:
[h=2]Origins[/h]Empanadas trace their origins to Galicia and Portugal.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] They first appeared in mediaeval Iberia during the time of the Moorish invasions. A cookbook published in Catalan in 1520, the Libre del Coch by Ruperto de Nola, mentions empanadas filled with seafood among its recipes of Catalan,Italian, French, and Arabian food.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] In turn, it is believed that empanadas and the similar calzones are both derived from the Indian meat-filled pies,samosas.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In Galicia and Portugal, an empanada is prepared similarly to a large pie which is then cut in pieces, making it a portable and hearty meal for working people. The filling of Galician and Portuguese empanada usually includes either tuna, sardines, or chorizo, but can instead contain cod or pork loin. The meat or fish is commonly in a tomato, garlic, and onion sauce inside the bread or pastry casing. Due to the large number of Galician immigrants in Latin America, the empanada gallega has also become popular in that region.
In Sardinia, the salad cake is named Sa Panada (meaning "meat ball cake"), or Impadas.
The dish was carried to Latin America and the Philippines by Spanish colonizers, and to Indonesia by the Portuguese, where they remain very popular to this day. Empanadas in Latin America, the Philippines, and Indonesia have various fillings, detailed below.

Stephen, i know this isn't marlin, but I saw a post about your wife being from Aconchi.A couple years ago, I traveled La Ruta Rio Sonora, with an attorney friend of mine from Aconchi. We stayed there for a couple day's, that is a neat area and probably the only Catholic church in the western henisphere, that the statue of Jesus is a black man. Seem's like most of the town are carpenter's and damn good ones. It was in July and the river was running full blast. ACONCHI SONORA MEXICO - YouTube really pretty that place.
Maria's family is in Estancia...just south of Aconchi. I was told that the Cristo Negro may have been the result of a fire in the old mission back in the 1600s.

I am not sure about that because the conquistadors commissioned a statue, El Cristo Negro, back in 1594 for the church in Esquipulas, Guatemala. A miracle was attributed to the statue in 1603 and number of pilgrimages followed.

As a history buff, I would like to tour Sonora's chain of missions to get a nice photo log developed. There is so much history in this area that is often photographed, but not properly indexed on the net. It would be great to fix that. Wikipedia would be a fantastic tool to get it accomplished.

playaperro

El Pirata
Best Tamal, apart from south Tucson is Juan's Authentic Mexican Food on Thomas Rd. and 16 th st. in Phoenix. I bet you got a few escobazos when you were a kid. A pie is also a pastry here, but people still make chicken pot pie.
Nah no escobazos for me, YEAH my Mom pulled the belt out a few times but she didn't have the heart to hit me unlike a few creatures on here.
Thought i'd share a pic on here taken at a fishing camp south of penasco in the fifties. My two brother and me, I was the youngest.

Attachments

jerry

Stephen, i know this isn't marlin, but I saw a post about your wife being from Aconchi.A couple years ago, I traveled La Ruta Rio Sonora, with an attorney friend of mine from Aconchi. We stayed there for a couple day's, that is a neat area and probably the only Catholic church in the western henisphere, that the statue of Jesus is a black man. Seem's like most of the town are carpenter's and damn good ones. It was in July and the river was running full blast. ACONCHI SONORA MEXICO - YouTube really pretty that place.
MY geologist buddy was up in Aconchi setting up a mine 6 months ago...still shakey up in the hills! The wookworkers have come up to Rio Rico/Tubac area to work for years...good skills..bad tools

Roberto

As a history buff, I would like to tour Sonora's chain of missions to get a nice photo log developed. There is so much history in this area that is often photographed, but not properly indexed on the net. It would be great to fix that. Wikipedia would be a fantastic tool to get it accomplished.
I have a small collection of books on the history of Sonora, some interesting stuff to me anyway. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a list. If you search Sonora on the ABE books website you come up with some pretty good hits.

In Cabo a few years back when you catch a billfish you are expected to release. Edna caught a 180 lb but it was in such bad shape when she got it in the captain of the boat said it would die and we had to keep it. Because of keeping it for any reason it did not qualify as for the contest we were in.
We thought that was a great policy

joester

2 salty dawgs
Bill,
it's true there are times when a billfish can't be revived, and then it makes sense to keep and eat it. We stopped going after marlin and now concentrate on fish for the eating -
we really like fishing with lighter gear and catching yellowfin tuna and dorado in the 20lb class! fish don't have to be huge to be really big fun!

joester

2 salty dawgs
rschlig -
next time, please order something other than billfish.
The overfishing of billfish can only be stopped by consumers NOT ordering or buying it at any level.
your post exacerbates the post I made previously.

This is very true, Alaskans love their fish! I was stationed up there and had my fair share of fish. The halibut is absolutely incredible as well as the king salmon which smokes very well in a smoker. That's why I think when I come down to Puerto Penasco I always try to get more than my fair share of fish there.