Where to buy a house in Arizona- possibly in the mountains, close to the border

Good morning everyone,

Long story short - The company I work for will be closing down in 1-3 years and moving operations overseas. When this happens I plan on moving to Arizona and teaching Math, and I would like some suggestions on where to buy a house. We own a property in Cholla Bay and would like to spend the weekends and holidays in Mexico. I will have about 160 days off per year, so we will be spending a considerable amount of time down there. Any suggestions on areas to live near San Luis Ray? We would like to live in an area that doesn't get extremely hot in the summer, that is why I mentioned the mountains. Thanks in advance.

Jim

I was a Tucson guy until I turned Mexican. Very hot. Kenny lives in Prescott. Much milder summers there. I'm sure any savy real estate agent would be happy to sell you something.

audsley

I think it works something like this. First you get the math teaching job, then find a house that's a reasonable commute. I would suggest somewhere around Tucson. That puts you about 4 hours from Cholla Bay, maybe longer depending on what part of the Tucson area you live in.

Finding a high-altitude place that's close to the border and also a short drive to Cholla Bay will be tough because the geography doesn't cooperate. The the border country mountains that are high enough to make a real temperature difference are located in the eastern corner of the state, far from the border crossing at Lukeville, and most of it is owned by the US Forest Service and therefore not availale for private residences. If the place you're asking about is San Luis Rio Colorado, it's near Yuma and would extremely hot.

Tucson is probably the best deal you're going to find. I live in Tucson and find summers very tolerable, but I find Phoenix almost uninhabitable in summer. If the 4 hour drive to the Rocky Pt/Cholla Bay area is too much to swallow, I guess you could always try Gila Bend, but you're gonna bake.

thanks adsley
I can pretty much teach where ever I want because there is a severe shortage nationwide of Math, Science, and Special Ed teachers. Four hours from Tucson does not sound too bad. I will take a look at the properties and school districts. I am currently living in Southern California, about 8 hours away from Cholla.

Check out the Vail School District and Vail, AZ. It's just southeast of Tucson, and is a little higher in elevation. We have lived here for twenty years, and although it has grown tremendously, it is still a nice place to live. The school district is touted as one of the best in AZ. It is such an easy drive to RP and depending on what your driving, it's 3 1/2-4 hours.

jerry

Aaron Ii have a house for sale in Bowie az (3br 1 bath..nicet big lot) for 43000.It's right across the street from the Bowie school. Bowie seems to always need teachers.

M

MilagroTim

How about Summerhaven outside of Tucson. Cool summers there. I don't know much about the area but I've heard its very nice. Check it out.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Summerheaven will add another 2 hours to your trip at least!! however it is beautiful all year round with the exception of winter, I hate winters, luckly they only last 4 weeks in Tucson!! :eek3:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Summerhaven is actually about 8200' in elevation, and altho they used to have a small school there, after the fire a number of years ago, I'm not sure if it's still there. not really a place to consider a move to, more of a summer home/escape the heat area.
the "foothills" areas on the mountain slopes surrounding Tucson would be cooler than in town proper - quite a bit to choose from, depending on your budget. there are some higher elevations closer to Nogales - but I think your drive time to Cholla Bay would increase even more crossing the border at Nogales. commute time from one side of Tucson to the other should be a consideration - I agree - find the job first - then look for a home nearby.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You could also consider Sierra Vista, Whetstone, and the Patagonia area. High chaparral country. Grapevines and winerys in Patagonia. Not as hot in the summertime. Nice open country. Southeast of Tucson.

R

rajulratna

I will just advice you to be careful in dealing with people you don't know.. Nowadays, there are really lots of scammers who will try to fool you in anyway they can. Laeeque Ahmad is famous for selling at asking price, if not for all the other scams. Maybe next do some research on people before you deal with them. Thank god for forums and blogs.

Kenny

I will just advice you to be careful in dealing with people you don't know.. Nowadays, there are really lots of scammers who will try to fool you in anyway they can. Laeeque Ahmad is famous for selling at asking price, if not for all the other scams. Maybe next do some research on people before you deal with them. Thank god for forums and blogs.
I sent you a private email about using common sense, but I'm probably way to late, and banging my head against the wall to boot... Running through a forum like a chicken with his head cut off is not going to work raj, they'll just remember what you bleed on, not what you said.

AZ ROB

I would sale my house in Litchfield park (3 hours from Sandy Beach) in a heart beat if it meant I was closer to my retirement down in Mexico 1 acre fully irrigated next door to the Zoo.

Bob Oso

You could also consider Sierra Vista, Whetstone, and the Patagonia area. High chaparral country. Grapevines and winerys in Patagonia. Not as hot in the summertime. Nice open country. Southeast of Tucson.
Patagonia definatley, one of the most beuatiful area's in Az. The proximity to the Nogales border would be somethng to consider, but I'm sure you could locate in an area where you wouldn't be effected. I'm not sure what the comute time would be to RP, but I wold imagine alot less then from Phx, or Tucson.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Patagonia definatley, one of the most beuatiful area's in Az. The proximity to the Nogales border would be somethng to consider, but I'm sure you could locate in an area where you wouldn't be effected. I'm not sure what the comute time would be to RP, but I wold imagine alot less then from Phx, or Tucson.
Actually if you were to move to Patagonia you would be adding quite a bit of time to your travels to RP, it is closer to Nogalez, about 30 minutes and about 1.5 hours to Tucson, the trip to RP will be faster thru Tucson than Nogalez, Patagonia is beautiful, very green and of course pricier than it sourrroundings areas, they do have one school of elementary, middle and high school.
Tucson is less hotter than anything north of it in the lower valley, Gila Bend, Casa Grande, Eloy, Buckeye, etc., north of Phoenix is even cooler but then you have a longer trip to RP

My Thread came back from the dead!!!

Thanks for the info guys. FYI, I am currently about 7-8 Hours from Cholla, 6 if Pinto Point is driving!!!