Where to eat at Puerto Penasco... Mary's, The Friendly Dolphin, Citron

N

niccapuppy

#1 - We had a superb lunch at Mary's which is in the fish market area. The grilled garlic shrimp will send you straight into garlic heaven! My husband had the large shrimp cocktail and the fish soup... both were excellent. They also make a great margarita! The waiter spoke very good english which was a bonus. Unfortunately, they don't take credit cards, which was the only disappointment.

#2 - The Friendly Dolphin would be our next choice. The food was good, but the surroundings are really pretty cool. Gaston (who I'm assuming is the owner), has tons of antiques and collectibles as well as photos of some of the folks that have enjoyed his restaurant.

If you're looking for a more formal dining experience, we ate a number of meals at "Citron" as we were staying at Las Palamos where the restaurant is located. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The food is very good and the presentation is excellent, whether you're having breakfast, lunch or dinner. Watch out for the wine prices... american wine can be a little pricey compared to the U.S.:p

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Tourist. Hahahaha! I'm kidding with ya.

We'll have to differ on our opinons of the Unfriendly Dolphin. I spent a year there one night waiting for dinner that was anything but special. However, a lot of gringos like the place, so different strokes for different folks.

Have never tried Citron, but I don't spend much time on Sandy Beach with the condo crowd.

MIRAMAR

Blue Marlin- Either the Garlic Fish, Grilled Fish Tacos (the best I've had in Penasco), or the Shrimp Quesadilla. Homero, the owner, will say "Welcome Home!"

Tourist. Hahahaha! I'm kidding with ya.

We'll have to differ on our opinons of the Unfriendly Dolphin. I spent a year there one night waiting for dinner that was anything but special. However, a lot of gringos like the place, so different strokes for different folks.

Have never tried Citron, but I don't spend much time on Sandy Beach with the condo crowd.
Stuart...had one of those experiences there too....waited almost 30 minutes for the check...was tempted to just walk out to see if that would speed things up...but usually the service and food are decent...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Some of you will remember from a while back on the forum that I got a really bad case of food poisoning there once. I laid on the bathroom floor for 3 days; it just didn't seem worth the walk to lay in bed for 5 minutes before the next wave hit. I remember wishing I was dead, that's how sick I was. And what did I learn from that? NEVER ever ever eat ceviche unless you know the preparer!!!!!:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

dwig222

My sister in law had the same experience at Friendly Dolphin. Sick as a dog for days after eating there. It's one of those places we just never tried and now, never will.

Hubby also got sick twice at the restaurant at the Playa Bonita Hotel. We should have learned the first time. Once it was bad butter because he said it tasted funny. The second time I talked him into going back and try again, and he got sick. I think it's just the luck of the draw, because I know a lot of people who love that place.

Last edited:
P

Penasco Pirate

Thirsty Parrot and Senior Amigos are my favorites but I'm partial to my friend's places. I LOVE the taco stands, just wish enough people were going down to keep them all open (tacos at 3 am are AWESOME!!) We've also liked the breakfast at Manny's for a long time and if you get a chance a trip to La Cholla is a must eat at Xotchi's!

Thirsty Parrot and Senior Amigos are my favorites but I'm partial to my friend's places. I LOVE the taco stands, just wish enough people were going down to keep them all open (tacos at 3 am are AWESOME!!) We've also liked the breakfast at Manny's for a long time and if you get a chance a trip to La Cholla is a must eat at Xotchi's!
I'm the same.....that's why I like BooBar....friendly place, and Jose makes some of the best margaritas....and if you have had your fill of seafood (which is difficult)...they have great burgers!

I try to hit Mary's each trip for their seafood soup in foil.....my mouth waters just thinking about it!

Blue Marlin- Either the Garlic Fish, Grilled Fish Tacos (the best I've had in Penasco), or the Shrimp Quesadilla. Homero, the owner, will say "Welcome Home!"
Great beer battered shrimp tacos too... and a very clean restaurant, Homero sterilizes his silverware

Last edited:
behind what used to be Lilys... on the left hand side of the street as you drive up toward Thrifty...
I guess that's another place to check our in addition to Thirsty Parrot.....

I miss Lily's....the food quality sometimes fluctuated, but the service was always excellent!!!