Which Resort(s) Rent the Best?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Privada is nice. Best in town but I don't see the value. 600k-700k for a base unit is too much. If you have the money, go for it, but if the budget is tight, look elsewhere.
Agreed. Not for everyone. That's why it's Privada. Wouldn't buy for rental income, for sure.

marybna

Well Known Member
I bought my first vacation rental at Mt Bachelor Village in Bend Or at 25. 1 bedroom with a murphy bed. We skied and went there in the summer for weekends. Did it pay for itself? NO. I have owned at Palm Springs, Sunriver Or, Green Valley and Penasco. Had 1 bed, 2 bedroom 4 bedroom. Did they ever pay for themselves? NO. The more nights you rent, the more commission you pay. Plus what is okay with you may not pass with the property manager. A units have to be PERFECT for paying guest. Things get broken or misplaced. It is called wear. That being said, I still keep doing it. We are spending Christmas at Sunriver with all of us and our granddaughter. I have 2 here in Green Valley. And we still miss Palm Springs. Bella has the highest cost because it is on the ocean and is rented for 2 or 3 nights. Green Valley is the lowest because the min is 30 days. I justify the cost because I go down ever month except during tax season. I buy fish, I go to the eye dr and have the dogs teeth cleaned. I also have one prescription that has a $45 co pay and I get it for $8 in Mexico. Also growing up in Hawaii made me a beach person. This is a lot cheaper than flying to Hawaii four times a year.

marybna

Well Known Member
A friend asked me to find an answer for her. They helped some grown children buy a condo in Rocky Point of few years ago. The idea was that they would get their loan back when the kids sold. They were told that now only the property manager can rent their condo and they will be paid 34% instead of the 66% the were making on rentals now. So that can't afford to keep it. And I have owned at 3 development and only one would not let me use Seaside so I got rid of the unit. But they still gave the owner of unit the same split. They just did not rent as much because they had so many units. Has anyone heard this?

marybna

Well Known Member
Go rent on a weekend. Then you will have a good idea. If I had rented at Las Palomas before I bought, I would not have bought. It is geared towards the younger crowd. Nothing wrong with that but my children are grown and do not need a water slide.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Go rent on a weekend. Then you will have a good idea. If I had rented at Las Palomas before I bought, I would not have bought. It is geared towards the younger crowd. Nothing wrong with that but my children are grown and do not need a water slide.
Does Las Palomas only roll out the water slide on the weekends?

marybna

Well Known Member
Everyday. It is a big resort and alot of people want to be at the pools by the beach. The slides are permanent.

marybna

Well Known Member
I am so sick of the rent cheaters. I rent thru Seaside and pay all the HOA Impact fees to Bella and I pay the room tax. I had a tenant that rented from me and I give one night free so I can compete with the cheater. Her friends are renting and they didn't have to pay any of the fees. They want to stay an extra night because the schools are closed. Her friends got a better deal because they don't have to pay those extra fees. When did honesty become a bad thing?

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I agree! We have a small group of homeowners in Miramar now refusing to pay the HOA fee of $605/year, but they have no problem using the garbage, guards and roads. They also are down there most of the time, and are some of the biggest users of these services. They have no problem sponging off the rest of us.

Last edited:

brokenwave

Well Known Member
In Cholla 20-25% of the homeowners don't pay the yearly HOA fee which is pretty affordable $160-200. They enjoy the scraped down roads and the police patrols in the community for free.
Many don't pay the $70 garbage fee to Oomsil but they still pick up all garbage left out. Too many people can't do the right thing.

sheep3mom

Well Known Member
I am so sick of the rent cheaters. I rent thru Seaside and pay all the HOA Impact fees to Bella and I pay the room tax. I had a tenant that rented from me and I give one night free so I can compete with the cheater. Her friends are renting and they didn't have to pay any of the fees. They want to stay an extra night because the schools are closed. Her friends got a better deal because they don't have to pay those extra fees. When did honesty become a bad thing?
Agree. When we owned at the Sea, there was a guy who had 412 'friends' stay during one summer. Popular guy I guess!

marybna

Well Known Member
I bought our first vacation rental at Mt Bachelor Village at Bend Or in my 20's. So I have been doing it for 40 years. Bella and Spa were never a problem. I think it was because most of the owners played by the rules. If I had rented at LP before I bought, I wouldn't have bought but my husband wanted the golf course. My vacation rental here and in Bend Or have heavy fines for owner violations. Make them walk the straight and narrow.