Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

mis2810

I was told by a Bella Sirena resident that the Silver Toyota Rav 4 blocking their gate was the DEA's car.

I can't believe Macho could live openly with the DEA knowing he was there, and they let him slide?

Seems like the Mafia used a single shot to the back of the head to off someone. Why all the drama in this case?
Because the mafia didn't use grenade launchers? Not sure.

TICO-T

24 hours later, I'm surprised, and also very happy to say that I haven't heard much negativity at all from people I know. Only one "I told you so!" today and the guy that said it is an idiot on an everyday basis anyway. Most people asked me if I had heard, and of course I said yes. I didn't try to defend or make excuses. Most said they really couldn't say anything bad, considering all the crazy shooters, pedophiles, car jackings and other everyday activities that go on in the US. That makes me happy. I'm so glad that so far I've been wrong in thinking that the incident yesterday was just going to bury our town. Is it a symptom of people becoming numb to violence in the world in general? I don't know and I really don't care. I hope RP continues to prosper, but it's not my job to convince anyone how to live their lives just as I don't want anyone telling me how to live mine. I will continue to come to RP every chance I get and let circumstances speak for themselves. The more times I go without anything happening to me, the better chance it will convince other people without me having to talk myself blue in the face.

playaperro

El Pirata
Fox 11 Tucson just reported they found his blood in a truck that was shot up, but no sigh of Macho, Got away wounded they say. Your thoughts was he ever there?

mis2810

Fox 11 Tucson just reported they found his blood in a truck that was shot up, but no sigh of Macho, Got away wounded they say. Your thoughts was he ever there?
How would they even know it was his blood? What DNA evidence did they ever have prior that they could have matched it to?

Kinda like flying after 9/11. Couldn't be any safer right after.
However, you should expect more military and additional security in the coming months well into 2014. Might be a little unnerving for some.
No doubt. American tourists are highly intimidated by highway checkpoints manned by heavily armed troops. The presence of military troops has no effect on cartel operations. It's as effective as putting water in your radiator when you run out of gas.

I think they have at least two of the huge villas at Las Palmas ;)
Yeah, and much of Las Conchas. With every event that depresses property values, the cartel operatives gobble up more real estate in Penasco. You see them coming from various parts of Mexico in the summer, vacationing with their families, filling the void left by the former American tourists.

mis2810

Yeah, and much of Las Conchas. With every event that depresses property values, the cartel operatives gobble up more real estate in Penasco. You see them coming from various parts of Mexico in the summer, vacationing with their families, filling the void left by the former American tourists.
How would you even know who they were? What makes them look different than any other Mexican family? They're not all driving Rolls Royces.

The whole deal was a tragedy, but the way I feel is that if you are afraid of what may happen if you venture to RP, don't go. It's anybody's guess as to when something like this will happen again but I will take my chances because I don't personally feel that anyone is targeting Americans or tourists in general. I will probably have to take another look at the situation if tourists are harmed, but for now I think I'll plan my next fishing trip.

Absolutely! Don't go anywhere that you don't feel comfortable. If you violate your feelings, it's almost a sure thing that you won't have a good time.

Joe, what is the probability of an American Tourist being killed in Sandy Beach (ok all of Penasco if that statistic is easier to put together)? How many american tourists have been killed in Penasco over the last 10 or 20 years. Since we are on the topic of probability, is an american at greater risk of dying from an ATV accident, drowning, choking on a taco, or drinking the water at Gua Gua's? Curious how death by cartel violence compares to other deaths based on probability for said American Tourist visiting the beach area. In my opinion, comparing the probability of an American tourist being killed by an act of cartel violence is about the same as the probability of someone being shot at a movie theatre in the US (again, using probability). Unless you are a klan member watching a movie in downtown Detroit.

Much more likely for an American tourist to be the victim of violence in the US. That's my opinion. More likely for an American tourist to be injured in Mexico due to his own stupidity, such as speeding, reckless driving, drunkenness, doing risky acts that they would never do in the US, etc.