Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
one's experience with a traumatic event will always be a huge event to that person. One can be reminded of what happened years later by seeing something that triggers a flashback. Some are never able to go back to that place again. I completely understand.

Couldn't have said it better.....

The rug just isn't quite big enough to sweep all that dirt under.

I also noticed that all the photos I posted of the shootout have all been taken down for some strange reason......... Hmmm
Rick I think only you I and Canuck , StephenHeislerand and Edehlermann
were here on Sandy beach the day this event happened. Others that seem intent on downplaying what happened, are doing so from a safe distance, or have other motives for doing so.

By the way the Military threatened people with jail for taking photos.

mis2810

[quote="

I agree, when something like this goes down. YOU ARE ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN.[/quote]

Yes, it was an awful thing that you went through. But as far as being entirely on your own, what exactly would have been your preferred scenario? Did you expect employees of the resort to come and check on you and risk their lives in the process? Does being a tourist entitle you to special attention in extreme circumstances? Do you think that if you were in a hotel in Paris or London and there was a bombing the local police would treat you any differently? You are entirely on your own no matter what and no matter where you happen to be.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Dry Heat...

...thanks for the advice, but you just don't get it. I have experienced horrible events in past.

Mass shooting or shooting outside a grocery store, while traumatic events to those nearby, isn't even close to the same situation as being stuck in the middle of a war zone.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, but so do I, and to repeat so you clearly understand mine - a War Zone.
Canuck,

Unfortunately I am not known for my brevity so this may require some patience.

I totally agree with your decision and would encourage you not to put your family or yourself through another possible traumatic situation like that.
I assume by your 'Nam de Plume" that you are from Canada. I have spent many wonderful summer days on the lakes there and have had many business visits. I assume those lakes are still safe, except from bears. We did have one attack our camp one time, but he left and we went back.

You mentioned war zones. We all have had traumatic experiences in our lives. I was born quite prematurely and according to my mother barely made it. Seventy-nine years later I have been in two nasty car accidents caused by teenagers, prior to cellphones. I survived an airplane crash landing in London, Ontario, in which the stewardess jumped up and said, "Well I bet that soiled a bit of laundry, now didn't it?" I survived a bout with colon cancer and a twenty plus year marriage to my first wife. But there is an experience that afterwards was pretty funny, but not at the time.

About 10 years after WWII I was serving in the Army on the Island of Okinawa. My life was pretty bland there until I was put on temporary duty with the MPs. The only thing I can equate my policing abilities would be a comparison to Barney in the old Andy Griffith Show. While the biggest portion of my time was spent in the guard tower at the prison there was a time when I was assigned to jeep patrol duty. Fortunately I was paired with an old time Sargent who knew his was around. We received a call that there was someone shooting a rifle in the village of Shimubuku. We went over and there was nothing going on. We got out of the jeep and out came a very drunk Japanese man with a rifle. We ducked behind the jeep and he started firring. One bullet grazed the hood and zinged past my head. The Sarge noticed a water cistern on the building above him and we started shooting at it. I'm sure I probably hit some poor birds nesting somewhere but Sarge blasted that cistern and the water came pouring down on the guy. He, thinking he was wounded surrendered and we took him off to the station in cuffs. I can tell you, it took a while for my pants to dry after that.

So what's my point? I have known abject fear and can understand your feelings. It is traumatic, but while it may not totally go away, it will dissipate. Now, if you want to know about trauma, look at those men and women who appear on the wounded warrior adds. People were shooting AT them and planting bombs to maim them. I can't imagine what they are going through and it makes our problems all so trivial.

Canuck, I wish you and your family the best. Hug and love your kids and I hope and pray that your family will come through the other side from this all and find comfort in your lives.

[quote="

I agree, when something like this goes down. YOU ARE ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN.
Yes, it was an awful thing that you went through. But as far as being entirely on your own, what exactly would have been your preferred scenario? Did you expect employees of the resort to come and check on you and risk their lives in the process? Does being a tourist entitle you to special attention in extreme circumstances? Do you think that if you were in a hotel in Paris or London and there was a bombing the local police would treat you any differently? You are entirely on your own no matter what and no matter where you happen to be.[/quote]

I agree. I just want to make it clear to anyone who is planning to come to Sandy beach, not to be fooled into thinking they will be in a safe gated community, with security. You come here entirely at your own risk, and if something goes down you are on your own. You will receive assistance or direction from no one.

Do you think that if you were in a hotel in Paris or London and there was a bombing the local police would treat you any differently? As a matter of fact YES.

jerry

Nice if you want a Tucson gun show bought Glock put to your temple....
We moved to Rocky Point with a fairly nice car... 20 months later and it's all but a jalopy. Cracked windshield, big scratch from scraping the wall in the garage, the paint is fading on one side and it all but impossible to keep aligned.

We are thinking that a 4-door F350 like this is about the only way to go-

Terry C

Maybe the photos had embed links on them when you uploaded them on here. If they are removed on an another site they would be removed here too.

Our experience was that if we hadn't have read the news online or seen the video and photos before we went down, we would have never known anything happened. Same old Rocky Point that we are used to. It was extremely slow at all the restaurants we went to, but to be expected the week before Christmas.

So ignorance is bliss I guess.

Rick S

I didn't expect anyone to show up at the door to notify me as to what was going on...I had already called the office numerous times getting no answer. I did think that someone might call the room to inform us of the danger. (not that they needed to) but, it would have been nice.

When we went back to try and get back into the room, we were stopped at the gate. The guard didn't speak english and called the mgr on his cell...."Las Palmas is officially closed now." Can I go back in? "If you go back in we aren't responsible"

Didn't know they were responsible ...LOL

Last edited:

mis2810

[quote="Do you think that if you were in a hotel in Paris or London and there was a bombing the local police would treat you any differently? As a matter of fact YES.[/quote]

Highly doubtful. Americans (yes, I'm GENERALIZING) have a tendency to believe their lives are somehow worth something extra and expect special treatment when in a foreign country.

mis2810

I didn't expect anyone to show up at the door to notify me as to what was going on...I had already called the office numerous times getting no answer. I did think that someone might call the room to inform us of the danger. (not that they needed to) but, it would have been nice.

When we went back to try and get back into the room, we were stopped at the gate. The guard didn't speak english and called the mgr on his cell...."Las Palmas is officially closed now." Can I go back in? "If you go back in we aren't responsible"

Didn't know they were responsible ...LOL
You left the condo in the middle of it and then tried to get back into the resort?

You guys need to take this offline in private. It is now looking like a P****ng match. Pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said.
I disagree. Canuck was a witness to this event. it appears certain parties would prefer he not describe what happened, and are doing their best to dissuade him from speaking.

Rick S

You left the condo in the middle of it and then tried to get back into the resort?

No, we left around 1:30. Went downtown and ate, drove around, took photos. Realized we left some things....stopped (5 PM'ish) back by. The manager also said the "We're expecting another shootout tonight".....we left immediately. Left the things there.

Adios!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sub
Karina - Please consider removing this post as anyone allegedly impacted by last week's events certainly would not want to be publicly named on this site or within any other forum, etc. without specific confirmation on their part.