Would Crossing at Nogales and traveling Via Route 2 Save time

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Any thoughts on this especially for the Tucson Travelers
4 hours, maybe 4.5 hours from Tucson to Peñasco using the Ajo Way which turns into 86 then left at the Why onto 85. It's the easiest way to go from Tucson. Toll Free too!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
As one who travels from Phoenix to San Carlos and back, I mapped out and calculated the difference in mileage were I to take Mex 2 at Santa Ana vs. staying on Mex 1 and going through Nogales. The difference was about 100 miles + for the Santa Ana route on Mex 2. So to answer the OP's question, no, going the Mex 2 route from Tucson is only going to add significant mileage and time and put you through a VERY busy border crossing.

azdiva

So... From Tucson 4 hrs Ajo Sonoyta Penasco 6 hrs Nogales,Caborca Penasco Now throw in Holiday traffic, Border Crossing Lines and 2 Checkpoints have to be
slowing everyone down. Can it be close to be the same time on busy weekends. I know the travel window of Thurs night and Tues Morn (no waiting) but for the rest of us... Thanks for the replies by the way

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
If I lived in Tucson, I would NEVER go thru Nogales. Ya gotta drive thru Nogales and there are toll roads and the last section from La Igriega to Penasco is narrow and full of potholes! And the Nogales crossing is way busier than Lukeville. 4 hours. Tucson to Why, Why to Lukeville, Lukeville to Penasco and you are there!

mis2810

Even from Phoenix, my sister calls it a 3 cigarette drive (meaning, short). One cigarette from Phoenix to Gila Bend. Second cigarette from Gila Bend to the border. 3rd cigarette from the border to RP! Done! LOL!

garyd

Even from Phoenix, my sister calls it a 3 cigarette drive (meaning, short). One cigarette from Phoenix to Gila Bend. Second cigarette from Gila Bend to the border. 3rd cigarette from the border to RP! Done! LOL!
If I still smoked it would be a whole pack!!!!!!