Rocky Point in the news again

Kenny

Stephen, It could have something to do with what is called a Red Tide in Sea of Cortez. Google it.
Is there a report of a bloom somewhere Terry or are you guessing?
Oh, has there been any more reports of what some thought must be our daytime Grunions been sighted anywhere else in the area beside's in the harbor, and has anyone actally confirmed that's what they were?

Kenny

I'm not liking all this weird sea life stuff that's been happening lately.
I'm not making anything out of it yet, but our daytime grunion spawn is not at the end of a dead end rocky harbor, but along the open sandy coastline and in far greater numbers.
http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/news/grunion.html

Grunion Runs
The Alto Golfo de California region is home to the only known diurnal grunion-spawning event. The Gulf Grunion, Leuresthes sardina spawns January through May. For those unfamiliar with what a grunion run is, it is a sight indeed. Tens of thousands of fish may suddenly beach themselves during the second highest of the high tides in a series. They perform a rapid courtship wherein males wrap themselves around shimmying and upright females as they deposit sperm and eggs in the sand. Just as soon as they are done, they flop themselves back to the sea, and new couples ride in on the waves to have their turn. Two weeks later, the eggs hatch and the returning high tide carries the hatchlings out to sea.

Last edited:

mis2810

So what would cause them to do that at the end of a dead end rocky harbor? And now the squid? I'm not saying it all has anything to do with the Home Port. There's been weird reports of deal animals washing up, birds dropping dead from the sky, etc. for a while now. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist either, but what's up? Someone made a comment on Facebook the other day about the sardines/grunions, that it was a sign that we were going to have a big earthquake. Who really knows? The squid thing is really weird, though. Do squids ever wash up dead on Sandy Beach?

Also, they found a Sea Turtle that had been itself dying the other day - I think it was at the Mirador.

Kenny

So what would cause them to do that at the end of a dead end rocky harbor? And now the squid? I'm not saying it all has anything to do with the Home Port. There's been weird reports of deal animals washing up, birds dropping dead from the sky, etc. for a while now. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist either, but what's up? Someone made a comment on Facebook the other day about the sardines/grunions, that it was a sign that we were going to have a big earthquake. Who really knows? The squid thing is really weird, though. Do squids ever wash up dead on Sandy Beach?

Also, they found a Sea Turtle that had been itself dying the other day - I think it was at the Mirador.
I've seen big Humboldt Squid, Sea lions, Porpoise, Whales and Turtles washed up, but never together. As far as those Sardine's/Grunions, there's been no confirmation on what species they actually were. They could have been just plain old Sardine's that had been chased into the Harbor by a predator of some kind.

Kenny

We had thousands of fish wash up in Encanto a month ago or so. It was said it was because of the red tide.
Thanks...
I remember a after dark run home from the 51 mile reef with Ric when the prop wash and the boat spray were florescent in the moonlight from dead plankton in the water, it was beautiful... And who could forget it if they've even seen waves break at night on the Pacific side when the red tides in.

Last edited:

Roberto

Some years back ther was a big die off of pelicans. Natures way of population control I think. When they all mob in like they just did it's the opportunity for diseases to spread rapidly and extensively.