A little help for a Newbie...

Hello All,

let me start by saying I am new to this site, and new to Rocky Point in general.
A few friends at work just returned from their 6th or 7th visit, and after hearing their stories and seeing the pictures...I just gotta go !

I was wondering if anybody has any opinions (or facts) about the month of October? My main concerns/questions are: is this a good time of year to go to Rocky Point, with regards to weather, water and fishing? What species and size of fish are running ? Is there a better time of year ?
I'm too old & fat to care about spring break or any of the holiday weekends, just want to relax and fish.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hello All,

let me start by saying I am new to this site, and new to Rocky Point in general.
A few friends at work just returned from their 6th or 7th visit, and after hearing their stories and seeing the pictures...I just gotta go !

I was wondering if anybody has any opinions (or facts) about the month of October? My main concerns/questions are: is this a good time of year to go to Rocky Point, with regards to weather, water and fishing? What species and size of fish are running ? Is there a better time of year ?
I'm too old & fat to care about spring break or any of the holiday weekends, just want to relax and fish.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Truck Boss, IMO October is one of the best months of the year to go to RP. The humidity has gone away, the heat has subsided with highs in the 80's to low 90's and the water is still warm from a long summer. I also understand it to be a fairly good month for fishing. However Im not the fishing expert but there are some here on this site. Im sure they will be happy to fill you in with locations and species that are running this time of year.

mis2810

Last year I spent October 19-26 in Rocky Point. It was beautiful - even for late October. The sea was still warm enough to swim in, it was actually the pools that were a bit chilly. Warm during the day - cool, but not really even chilly in the early morning and late evenings. Also, very quiet around town and the beaches were practically deserted.

October is a great month in rp....usually great weather and yes, the ocean is still warm. Is one of my favourite months there.....OK....every month is my favourite month there!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I agree! October is my favorite month! This year I can stay there the whole month! I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D

ReelHard

grouper slayer
october is probally the best month. all speices are pretty much wide open. you can still catch grouper and make the longer runs to the deeper reefs and catch snapper, goldspots, wsb ,ca. halibut, and dorado along with a shot at even mako shark. If you would like more info just ask. every one here is more than willing to share there knowledge.
now do you have your own boat or do you plan on shore fishing or chartering?

october is probally the best month. all speices are pretty much wide open. you can still catch grouper and make the longer runs to the deeper reefs and catch snapper, goldspots, wsb ,ca. halibut, and dorado along with a shot at even mako shark. If you would like more info just ask. every one here is more than willing to share there knowledge.
now do you have your own boat or do you plan on shore fishing or chartering?
Reelhard,
I would be chartering. This would be my first time in RP, and I think it would just make sense to go out with people who know the area, have the gear and the knowledge.
Any recommendations?
Also, would you have any "insider" thoughts on a place to stay that would have beach access for shore fishing?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Also, would you have any "insider" thoughts on a place to stay that would have beach access for shore fishing?
All the beaches can be good for fishing.... on Sandy Beach, the farther west you go toward the rocks, the better your chances for fish. all the condo rental companies can hook you up with Sandy Beach properties

Playa Encanto, about eight miles NE of town on the southern road to Caborca is also a good beach for fishing the sand bars at low tide. you can also backtrack along the encanto beach road and get to the mouth of the 1st estuary (Morua) - there is usually good fishing there as well... Oceano rentals rents condos in Paradise villas- which is right on Playa Encanto.

any "insider" thoughts on a place to stay that would have beach access for shore fishing?
Check out this place right next to Manny's beach club... great fishing from the shore and it's just a few yards from your door...

www.123RockyPointRelax.com talk to Rob or Brenda and tell them Mark sent ya...

and if you haven't decided on a charter yet maybe we can help you out with that...

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
hey truck. there are alot of good choices out there. hammer is a good capt. and will put you on fish. i could also take you out if you are interested. there is good shore fishing at la chola. but i dont believe there are any hotels there. a great and afordable place to stay would be the playa inn. that is where i use to stay when i 1st started going to rocky point. you might want to consider the tides when planning your trip. as for big tide swings make for fast drifts when bottom fishing for grouper.

Well....Cool
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and help.
I have been reading everything I could find online about PP/RP in the last few days, man, that place sounds great....can't wait to go. Looking like 3rd week of October is going to work out the best. Is there any point in trying to schedule fishing this far out ? or just wait till it's alittle closer ?
will be checking in here regularly.

Thanks again for all the help.......

-Dave

I've been over there a few times checking the place out.....the condos are pretty well deserted, and if you rent the place, you'll have the pool, etc. all to yourself!!!

I've been over there a few times checking the place out.....the condos are pretty well deserted, and if you rent the place, you'll have the pool, etc. all to yourself!!!
Yep... and the pool and jaccuzi are just outside the patio doors of this condo... actually within 10 to 15 feet of the condo... great snorkeling out front too...

AZ ROB

Mark I am heading down in a few hours with some more stuff hopefully we can hook up this weekend I am ready to do some more snorkleing
Call you when I get there.

Had my eye on it for a long time, finally going on a weekend when it's available! And yes, bringing my seldom-used snorkling set, can't wait. Oh, and that full moon over the jacuzzi Sat night...well, I don't think you ask for much more!