Al Capones

A

azbeachboy

I didn't drive so I had to eat with my friends. We went to Al Capone's both nights. The pizza and wings were really good. The place was packed both nights. The last time we went I saw the worst fight outside I've ever seen in R.P.

One of the best in town. Usually very busy on weekends. Good seafood specials - the crab cakes and ravioli were awesome and we got 14 wings in our order because they do it by weight. They pour the best drink in town, hands down! Hope they open that other place soon

Just don't go when Johnny (??), one of the owners, is bartending.....the nastiest SOB I've met in a long time.....the food can be good...and it can be pretty bad too....hit and miss!

During the day, it's the hangout of the gringo old farts....during the evening, it's the real estate crowd, what's left of them!

Kelney

I like the somewhat unique beer selection they have for Rocky Point. Nice being able to have a good microbrew after a few days of drinking Dos XX. However, the Four Peaks Kiltlifter tasted nothing like the Kiltlifter I have been accustomed to. I think it probably does not get ordered much and the beer grew old or the lines got contaminated.

Well...it's looks like "thecoldtruth" has finished his short lived "drive by"....ripping all the other restaurants/bars except for Capones....:cruisin::fish::roll:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
He missed ragging on Portofino's. He must not have ever gone there. Their filete mignon con asparagos is to die for! And the ambiance on the water....I'd rather go there than La Casa Del Capitan!

Actually said good things about other places (Pollo Lucas, La Curva,The New bakery, for example). Not trying to pick on anyone but stating a critical opinion. I think if we held places to a higher standard in this town maybe some places would provide something better for those of us who come here often. I have gone to Portofino's and am pretty indifferent. Even those opinions you do not like still count here. Let not just blow smoke up each others behinds.

Sorry "thecoldtruth"....but you were just about falling over yourself singing the praises of Capones....the food is up and down.....and pricey.....I don't care for one of the owners (and he bartends, at least the last couple of times I was there)....obnoxious SOB probably suffering from schizophrenia....there must be a reason why the other owner(s) don't have him bartending in the evenings!!! But then again, that may have colored my opinion of the place.... And the ambiance of the place....comes across as your local watering hole/sports bar back home....

I prefer something on the water.... someone mentioned the ambience of Portofino (the new location)...I've enjoyed the food there the 3 times I've eaten there....hell, I prefer the ambiance of Mary's on the malecon to Capones!!!

Jim

I ate at Marys today and it was great. I don't know thecoldtruth but it does seem like there is an agenda.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I like Capones. Being that it's right next to Playa Inn where I always stay, I've eaten there many times after a long day on the water when I just didn't have in it me go anywhere else. Their pasta dishes are excellent, their chipolte wings are fabulous, and their pizza has always been set piping hot on the table. Have to have another drink while I wait for it to cool off enough to eat. The one blond waitress (I think she is the cook's wife) has a great sense of humor and we always enjoy kidding around with her. I've never met the gruff bartender guy.

The wife actually likes the place, too, (she hates trying anything new - La Curva or nothing for her) but both of us always feel there is something sacrilegious about eating pizza and wings while we're in Mexico, since we have that at home on a regular basis.

The other place I've been impressed with over the past year or so is Bryants. Can't beat the Friday night prime rib special. Excellent shrimp basket. Good burgers. Haven't had anything bad there yet, either. It's just like any gringo sports bar in the US, but the crowd is primarily locals.

For ambience, we ate at the Lighthouse two weeks ago and had the bacon wrapped shrimp. They were perfect. There was a big fireworks show on the Malecon and it was a spectacular view as the all boomers exploded over the water. Perfect temperature outdoors and one of the nicest nights I've had in Rocky Point in ages.

joester

2 salty dawgs
cold truth

I know less about restaurants in PP than anybody - so I'm always looking to learn something from those who either visit a lot, or live there.
it's apparent that somebody has an agenda here, and that's the cold truth of those posts.
security?

I guess there is no room for opinions outside the circle of friends here. I thought this might be a forum for a variety of opinions but it seems to instead be a sewing circle. Sorry to interrupt.

I guess there is no room for opinions outside the circle of friends here. I thought this might be a forum for a variety of opinions but it seems to instead be a sewing circle. Sorry to interrupt.
I would have to say that you are the one who is not open to a variety of opinions....as I stated earlier in this thread, you were pretty much falling over yourself singing the praises of Capones....and knocking just about every other restaurant.....I disagreed....your "reviews" appeared to be from someone who had some interest in Capones.....at the expense of the other restaurants!!

You had a rash of "reviews" on here....then completely disappeared....I think I likened it to a "driveby".....

I like Capones. Being that it's right next to Playa Inn where I always stay, I've eaten there many times after a long day on the water when I just didn't have in it me go anywhere else. Their pasta dishes are excellent, their chipolte wings are fabulous, and their pizza has always been set piping hot on the table. Have to have another drink while I wait for it to cool off enough to eat. The one blond waitress (I think she is the cook's wife) has a great sense of humor and we always enjoy kidding around with her. I've never met the gruff bartender guy.

The wife actually likes the place, too, (she hates trying anything new - La Curva or nothing for her) but both of us always feel there is something sacrilegious about eating pizza and wings while we're in Mexico, since we have that at home on a regular basis.
I agree Stuart I myself love their food... and the owners are all a bunch of great guys, they never hesitate to donate gift certificates to offer as prizes when we are holding an event to raise money for the schools... I give Capones 2 thumbs up... Thanks Guys...

Hey it's underwater basket weaving for me... I'm no part of a sewing circle... although I would like to learn to to some needle point and embroidery...

I agree Stuart I myself love their food... and the owners are all a bunch of great guys, they never hesitate to donate gift certificates to offer as prizes when we are holding an event to raise money for the schools... I give Capones 2 thumbs up... Thanks Guys...
Hey Mark....we can agree to disagree:gayfight:....but at least you haven't posted a bunch of negative critiques on several of the other restaurants in town!!!!:cheers:

BTW....is Johnny on meds and is "that way" only when he goes off them??:stir:

Last edited:
Hey Mark....we can agree to disagree:gayfight:....but at least you haven't posted a bunch of negative critiques on several of the other restaurants in town!!!!:cheers:

BTW....is Johnny on meds and is "that way" only when he goes off them??:stir:
Joe I think that type of behavior just happens to all of us at sometime or another down here...

but don't get me wrong, that doesn't give anyone the right or reason to act belligerent to anyone else, especially not a paying customer...

I wasn't there to know how he was performing for you, to have left the bad impression he did... other than being a little off the wall he's always been nice to us...

rplarry

I agree completely. And if being packed almost all the time is an indicator, I think Capone's speaks for itself. Really, some of the best pizza anywhere. The Rocky Rolls (shaved chicken breast and 3 cheeses stuffed in an egg roll shell) with the honey mustard dipping sauce is a must. Not to mention the crab cakes and 2 different sauces as well. Very tasty, high quality food.

Service is always friendly, Luis the bartender is a great guy, along with the owners and the other staff. Always greet us by name and with a smile. Makes it one of those places you enjoying going back to.