anybody fish over the long weekend?

Sparky

Hey folks! First time responding to any thread on here but I have been trolling (pun intended) on this site for a very long time. We were down Wed-Tue and had what I would consider an epic surf fishing trip. Tons of the little trout, lots of the pesky sand bass and those little leather jacks. What was really fun was putting down my surf rod and trying my trout rig with 2lb test. Go figure that on the first cast I hook what turned out to be the biggest Pompano I have ever caught in RP. We caught probably 10-15 Pompano that were normal size (2lb) but this guy was at 4-5 lb.Took about 10 minutes to finesse him to the beach.Between me and the 2 kids we probably landed 100+ fish and that was after the wind finally died down on Sat.

FYI- For some reason my standard size Kastmaster was not working as well as the smaller ones. The big boy was caught on a spoon better fit for a stocker rainbow,

rplarry

I didnt go down but suprised there are no fishing reports yet from the memorial day weekend....
Ended up going down at the last minute with family and to meet up with some friends. Fished for an hour or so on Saturday after the wind died down from Friday. Started fishing at what I thought would be too late, on the outgoing high tide. Caught these on my 2nd & 5th cast of the day using a silver crocodile. Was pleased with the size after reading reports of so many small covina being caught. Got 4 very nice size filets out of them. Still has got to be one of the best eating fish around. Also caught a half-dozen or so pampano but no more corvina. Ditto for Monday. No corvina but about 6-8 small pampano. A fun couple hours. Weather was unbelievable.

Corvina #1 Memorial weekend IMG-20120528-00048-1.jpgCorvina #2 Memorial weekend IMG-20120528-00047-1.jpg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Ended up going down at the last minute with family and to meet up with some friends. Fished for an hour or so on Saturday after the wind died down from Friday. Started fishing at what I thought would be too late, on the outgoing high tide. Caught these on my 2nd & 5th cast of the day using a silver crocodile. Was pleased with the size after reading reports of so many small covina being caught. Got 4 very nice size filets out of them. Still has got to be one of the best eating fish around. Also caught a half-dozen or so pampano but no more corvina. Ditto for Monday. No corvina but about 6-8 small pampano. A fun couple hours. Weather was unbelievable.

View attachment 4484View attachment 4485
Location ```~~~POR FAVOR~~```

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Location, location, location.... You guys all crack me up.

A school of Corvina can move 30 miles in a day, but schools always breeze through the 1st estuary at least a couple times a day. Use the tide schedule and plan to be out there during the tide changes, and during either first light or at dusk (or both).

It's June- PRIME time to be out hammering the shorelines.

Sparky

You know I never take a camera and always kick myself when I actually catch something that is worthy. The only fish we normally keep are the bass/bait so the kids can catch those nasty guitar fish at night. After reading about how tasty the Pompano are I wished I would have shoved him in the cooler. As for locations, right off the beach in Encanto for most, but the big Pompano was right at the mouth of the Estuary as the tide was coming in. I really don't want to be banned so I have placed a camera in my tackle box for my July trip.

Sounds promising, we'll be down on Encanto tomorrow and all next week.
I have a new camera for the kayak so will try to catch something to photograph.