Article from Defrente Newspaper July 7, 2010

Found this today in the July 7, 2010 issue online of Defrente.

Acepta presidente de la OCV presencia de Cárteles del narco en Puerto Peñasco

Por primera vez, según recordamos, un representante oficial de Puerto Peñasco reconoce que los carteles de la droga han invadido el balneario sonorense más cercano a Arizona.

Oscar Palacio, Presidente de la Oficina de Convenciones y Visitantes de Puerto Peñasco, nos lo confirmó en una entrevista con él, el miercoles pasado que los carteles se han movido dentro de Peñasco en los últimos años, en busca de nuevos corredores para pasar la droga hacia los Estados Unidos.

“Cuando una área de la frontera se les complica, se trasladan a otra”, dijo Palacio. “Esa es la forma en que ha sido por muchos años…….”.

Translation:

President of the Puerto Penasco Office of Conventions and Visitors Accepts the Presence of Drug Cartels in Puerto Penasco.

For the first time, that we recall, an official representative of Puerto Peñasco recognizes that the drug cartels have invaded the Sonoran Spa closest to Arizona.

Oscar Palacio, President of the Convention and Visitors Bureau in Puerto Penasco, confirmed with us in an interview with him last Wednesday, that the cartels have moved into Puerto Penasco in recent years, looking for new routes to pass drugs to the United States.

"When a border area becomes difficult, they move to another," said Palacio. "That's the way it has been for many years ... ....."

Full article at http://defrente.com.mx/2010/07/acepta-presidente-de-la-ocv-presencia-de-carteles-del-narco-en-puerto-penasco/

This is bittersweet. Don't know what is worse. The President of the OCV accepting the presence of the Drug Cartels or denying it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
What's he supposed to do -- publicly NOT accept it and end up in a bed next to the Police Chief? I mean, really...

I don't think this is surprising either. Penasco is simply to close to the border not to be effected - plus, because of its growth, its ideal to attract dirty money that can be laundered and invested. I just hope that only one strong faction ends up in control - as sad as that is, at least there is no fighting or violence with one party in control. Also, just one look at Miami and one can see the long term benefits of investment (despite the fact that's its from drug money). I know that's a little twisted thinking, but its also reality.

Found this today in the July 7, 2010 issue online of Defrente.

Acepta presidente de la OCV presencia de Cárteles del narco en Puerto Peñasco

Por primera vez, según recordamos, un representante oficial de Puerto Peñasco reconoce que los carteles de la droga han invadido el balneario sonorense más cercano a Arizona.

Oscar Palacio, Presidente de la Oficina de Convenciones y Visitantes de Puerto Peñasco, nos lo confirmó en una entrevista con él, el miercoles pasado que los carteles se han movido dentro de Peñasco en los últimos años, en busca de nuevos corredores para pasar la droga hacia los Estados Unidos.

“Cuando una área de la frontera se les complica, se trasladan a otra”, dijo Palacio. “Esa es la forma en que ha sido por muchos años…….”.

Translation:

President of the Puerto Penasco Office of Conventions and Visitors Accepts the Presence of Drug Cartels in Puerto Penasco.

For the first time, that we recall, an official representative of Puerto Peñasco recognizes that the drug cartels have invaded the Sonoran Spa closest to Arizona.

Oscar Palacio, President of the Convention and Visitors Bureau in Puerto Penasco, confirmed with us in an interview with him last Wednesday, that the cartels have moved into Puerto Penasco in recent years, looking for new routes to pass drugs to the United States.

"When a border area becomes difficult, they move to another," said Palacio. "That's the way it has been for many years ... ....."

Full article at http://defrente.com.mx/2010/07/acepta-presidente-de-la-ocv-presencia-de-carteles-del-narco-en-puerto-penasco/

This is bittersweet. Don't know what is worse. The President of the OCV accepting the presence of the Drug Cartels or denying it.
Please forgive the correction, but after reading the Spanish and English articles, I feel that the articles are saying that Mr. Palacio is acknowledging for the first time that this problem exists, not that he accepts that it exists. There is a real difference. Thank you for bringing this news story to our attention.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.....For the first time, that we recall, an official representative of Puerto Peñasco recognizes that the drug cartels have invaded the Sonoran Spa closest to Arizona.

For the first time in memory, an official representative of Rocky Point is acknowledging that drug cartels have invaded the popular Arizona getaway.

I do not know if you used one of those internet translator, they just change things to much fromk the real story, in red I put the actual words of the original article, link is somewhere here.
The Sonoran Spa Resort is fine and any other resort is OK, no cartel take over.

Anybody that knows or have heard about the drug lords, mexican or others, will realized that the developments in Sandy Beach are a great way to possible clean some money as already stateted above
the only difference now is that it has been confirmed by a higher rank officer of the government of Penasco about their presence, if you were not aware of it then for sure you were living in lala land or you are 15 year young.

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.......Also, just one look at Miami and one can see the long term benefits of investment (despite the fact that's its from drug money). I know that's a little twisted thinking, but its also reality.
It is a perfect reality, as you say look at Miami, and those colombians and cubans killed each other untill an agreement was settle, who took over I do not know but everybody lives well and happy and even the retired communities keep in growing, who is to say that will be different here or the same, will see!!

So they invaded the resort?
"...han invadido el balneario sonorense más cercano a Arizona." was translated into "the drug cartels have invaded the Sonoran Spa closest to Arizona." So no, not the Sonoran Spa. I too was kind of shocked by that sentence. I'd hate to be working those phones at the condo rental companies today!

jerry

I pity the trailer troll that points out to the proud new owner/investor Sicario his condo is really called a Pigeon Coop

"...han invadido el balneario sonorense más cercano a Arizona." was translated into "the drug cartels have invaded the Sonoran Spa closest to Arizona." So no, not the Sonoran Spa. I too was kind of shocked by that sentence. I'd hate to be working those phones at the condo rental companies today!

balneario sonorense equals seaside resort, I would think? Any other opinions on that one? Not a specific resort in Puerto Penasco.

Jim

I can say without a doubt that the Sonoran Spa is in good shape. I was there today and everything is business as usual. How about this thread for a great segue to let you know that I work for the Sonoran Sales Group. (Give it a break pigeon coop haters - I don't live there. I couldn't with 3 kids and 3 dogs). Anyway things are normal around here. No gun battles, lots of families on the beach and in the pools... Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE9uPSksxM0. First and last plug (unless prompted again): www.sonoranresortsales.com. www.facebook.com/sonoransales. Now don't be too hard on me.

I don't fluently speak, read or write Spanish, so thanks for clearing that up......I kind of wondered why the article referred only to the Sonoran Spa condos. And Jim, find me a medium CTC t-shirt and I won't say a thing!!! Seriously, the first words out of my daughter's mouth were "how was your trip?" The second, "did you get the shirt?"!!! Chari and I stopped by this past Monday and there was not one single shirt in the case, so I'm assuming you haven't found another printer??

InkaRoads

cronopiador
balneario sonorense equals seaside resort, I would think? Any other opinions on that one? Not a specific resort in Puerto Penasco.
Please, for those of you that do not speak, write or read spanish this is the perfect example of why NOT to use the internet translators they are NO GOOD!!

balneario sonorense = seaside or beach town in Sonora

As I said before there is absolutelly nothing wrong with any of the resorts in Sandy Beach, specially Sonoran Spa!!!

DO NOT use the internet translators they do not translate the proper way and change the whole meaning of what they are translating!!

I volunteer to translate to english anything that you guys want to post in this forum that is written in spanish

Last edited:
I don't think this is surprising either. Penasco is simply to close to the border not to be effected - plus, because of its growth, its ideal to attract dirty money that can be laundered and invested. I just hope that only one strong faction ends up in control - as sad as that is, at least there is no fighting or violence with one party in control. Also, just one look at Miami and one can see the long term benefits of investment (despite the fact that's its from drug money). I know that's a little twisted thinking, but its also reality.
Really..........do you think it is all as bad as they say?

Puerto Penasco it what it is today because US and Foreign investors saw something that had potential. They invested in land and started building homes, hotels and resorts. I remember an article several years ago in the paper that said something about how the water and sewer system had to be improved so they could keep up with the amount of resorts being built and some Japanese investors came in and helped out. Because of that, Sandy Beach Resorts is what we have today.

You think if the Drug Cartel was camped out in RP, they would invest some money and finish some of the unfinished projects. I love going to Mexico and have been other places besides RP. I always have a wonderful time in Mexico and RP just allows me to visit a country that I love without having to fly to get there.

Although there is a drug problem and violence there, I still go. We have the same issues in the US as well. I'm sure there are many well-to-do Mexican Nationals that read about all the drug problems and violence we have here and are saying, "I'm sure glad I don't live there"
(Just my two cents.....and I will still be there on July 18th)

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Tequilatodd, I like your post because it does show that you are a realist in the sense that understand that crime and drugs and everything involve with it is in USA as much as any where else, instead of the typical school of thought were nothing wrong happens in the USA and their farts don't stink. :eek3: