Bad Accident Between Ajo and Why - 07/02/2010 - 1:00pm

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just got a call from buddy heading down. Said he's currently sitting right next to the mine south of Ajo. Apparently there's been a very bad accident between Ajo and Why and they have shut the road down and do not expect it to be open again for at least a few hours.

Just a warning to anyone heading on down - bring lots of cold drinks, it's a scorcher out there today! You may be waiting awhile.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh argh, I hope RPJ made it thru, he was headed down there this morning as far as I know. OMG! I hope it isn't him!!!! Joe, post up when you get there!

RockyPointJoe has checked in. He was stuck in traffic due to an accident. For over an hour the whole thing was stopped, but they've just opened the road and he'll be here in a couple of hours. He said traffic was backed up for 2 miles or so. When he called the second time, he mentioned seeing a pickup with no front wheel and another vehicle in an arroyo. We'll know more as soon as he signs in, no doubt.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Rosie, what would we do without you? Just add arrival clearinghouse reporter and babysitter to your already long list of duties. You rock!:woo::cheers::gradea::thumbsup:

I'll bet everyone that was going down today were wondering WTF when then hit the traffic stop. With all the stuff flying around here and in the news, I'll be some people thought the wost.

I hit the backup just past the "Y" by the Ajo school about 12:30pm....at least the police were letting you know what was going on....sat in traffic for over an hour....first the police said they were going to let the traffic go thru in one lane (alternating), then that changed. The only vehicle that I could see clearly was small pickup with the driver side front wheel completely missing...looked like some body damage. Then a little further on, there appeared to be another vehicle completely rolled over in a wash (or arroyo as Rosy mentioned). It was not very visible from the southboud side....there had been an ambulance that headed down to the accident site from Ajo, but it never returned in that direction...maybe went on to Tucson (at Why). So with a stop at the duty free, it took me 5.5 hours for the usual 3.5-4 hr drive. Not too bad. Glad I have the cool running diesel...was able to sit comfortably with the air on...my temp gage (outside) was showing about 110!!!

After the accident, the traffic spread out nicely...many stopping at Why for "potty breaks".

As for the ride from the border, they had both lanes open at the Mexican customs.....the only roadblock was up the hill where you leave town...local police. Didn't see any federale patrols on the ride down, there was an ambulance and fire truck sitting at the town by the Pinacate Reserve, then there was a roadblock before the first stop light in town...local police and state police handing out a pamphlet.

Looked like there was a good crowd coming down....with a line past the gas station at the border....the US border stop was uneventful....actually chit-chatted with the border patrol guy...he only asked one question.

Just some additional info for those shopping at the duty free....don't know how long that has been going on, but they give you one of those numbered cones for your vehicle, and hand you your purchase as you are crossing the border into Mexico....too many people stopping on the way home??????

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Thanks for the report, Joe. When I went down on the 11th of June, the Duty Free store was doing the gauntlet handoff. I ask and the guy said that US Customs or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, I'm not sure, had been in the day before and said they had to start doing it that way. He said they didn't say why. He just rolled his eyes at me. If Rosie wants to investigate it........ It takes a bit more time and I can't imagine how long it would take on a "busy' weekend. Memorial Day would be a nightmare!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
My neighbor at PDO was driving behind the small car when the pick up truck, seems like driver fall sleep, appeared in the road and started to turn off to the left off the road, but the enbankment was enough to turn the truck back into the road and went straight into the front of the small car which roll end to end a few times and in it side a few more ending up in the arroyo.
Everybody made it alive from the wreck, the young girl, 14 years old, had some facial cuts and might have to have some work done in one eye, possibly glass, The father was ok but traumatized and kind of out of ot a bit and mom was the only one with a bad injury in her arm, which got trapped under the car, that was what took the longest to release, trying to move the car without damaging her arm any more and had to wait for jacks.
The truck driver was shocked, could not remember anything, he thinks he fall asleep.
Kevin had to drive off the road, the tire that came off the truck hit his windshield, jumped the dich, good reaction from his part controlling his truck, got away from the wreck and turned around and went to help, called 911 and he almost got run over by the cars speeding by as he is trying to remove all the pieces of steel and debries from the road, then realized and went to the help the people from the small car, which was the worst of both vehicles.
Luckly seems like everybody made it!!

Last edited:
They must have been wearing seat belts (not a pitch for that!!!)....or everyone would have been ejected!!! Ink, you neighbor was very lucky if the wheel didn't destroy his windshield...and him.

ernesto

I talked to the truck driver. He told me the woman in the car crossed the line and overcorrected after a glancing blow on the pickup.That must be the reason for the long wait,conflicting stories. They were doing alot of measuring. We were ten cars back and waited just over 3 hours.

Talk about conflicting stories....the AZ Republic had the accident at 5 mi. NORTH of Ajo.... I don't feel so bad....I only had about an hour wait.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
My bad, I misunderstood K2, the wheel almost hit him, debries hit his windshield all over. I must say he was VERY lucky!! and thru the night he party like it was 1999!! He was super happy to be down with out a scratch!!

S

sappersmama

just want to let everyone know the mom is a friend of mine and is not doing well....neck, back and nerve injury... please remember them and please drive safe!

K2Kev

Hello this is my first post, I am the person that was behind your friend my love goes out to the family, I am still a bit shook up from what happend, please give them my best. I also let the State Troopers know that it was not their fault the pickup driver remembered nothing. He must have fallen asleep. I called 911 within 1 min of the accident it was 10:15am. They were very quick only wish the helios were quicker. If you or the family wishes to talk to me or needs me in anyway please email me via this site. I am not going to post anymore in this forum about this accident what I saw is still to painful and makes me cry. Again my love and hugs to this family.

crait1

It was my family in the Mercedes SUV. My wife is critical with a broken neck and will never walk or have use of her hands again. My beautiful 12 year old daughter has had surgery for repairing a fractured skull and some broken toes. She has reconstructive surgeries coming for her right eye. Never saw the "sleeper" until he bashed into the side of the car tearing off a wheel and I lost control. Hard to control on 3 wheels. If he saw my wife in ICU, he wouldn't fall asleep again ever