Banking in Meixoc and the US

Roberto

Anyone real familiar with cross border banking? I'd like a bank in the US with an economical relationship with a Mexican Bank. Easy funds withdrawl of both large and small amounts in Mexico, modest or no fees.

I don't think I want an account in Mexico as it seems to me the fees can be out of control. Many or all charge to make a large deposit, what's with that?

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
the best and lowest fees you will find are at the bottom of your mattress, you have to pay a lower fee every now and then as you will have to re-arrange your house as you were looking for the cash since you got drunk and forgot the place you hide it, small fee after all!!!!

Roberto

I don't want an account in a Mexican bank just good, easy, economical access to the money in a US bank. Gotta plan for the endless journey ya know. I'll put one son on the account also just in case. Anyone happen to know if that would be a taxable event for him, just putting his name on a bank aaccount with say $100K in it?

jerry

Bob i have bad news for you.My friends in the spirit world( accessed by my Gypsy guide lady Zora) have told me your money is cursed.If you bring it to us in a bandanna covered in baby pit bull blood I may be able to set things right.
I don't want an account in a Mexican bank just good, easy, economical access to the money in a US bank. Gotta plan for the endless journey ya know. I'll put one son on the account also just in case. Anyone happen to know if that would be a taxable event for him, just putting his name on a bank aaccount with say $100K in it?

Anyone real familiar with cross border banking? I'd like a bank in the US with an economical relationship with a Mexican Bank. Easy funds withdrawl of both large and small amounts in Mexico, modest or no fees.

I don't think I want an account in Mexico as it seems to me the fees can be out of control. Many or all charge to make a large deposit, what's with that?
I'm familiar enough with banking in Mexico to know that I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. I've whittled it down to just one business account. Banking here is expensive, inconvenient and frustrating. For quick and easy (as well as inexpensive) access to money, I highly recommend Intercam. They're not a bank, but if you have an account with them, they'll cash a U.S. check for you. Up to about $2k, they'll give you cash. If you need more, they'll give you a Mexican check you can cash at any bank you like. Their staff is friendly and bilingual.
They're in the Fremont Plaza next to the OCV. Phone: 638.388.1191

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Roberto;57758......with say $100K in it?[/QUOTE said:
I can be your son in a heart beat and I promise you it will all be put to GOOD work!!! if you want to we can open the account in Nigeria!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Rosie, I was just thinking about all of this since pesos go a lot farther in Mexico than dollars. I belong to a credit union here and have no idea what the fees are to withdraw pesos. I am going to call my credit union to see if they are affiliated with any of the Mexican banks or to see if they will refund withdrawal fees. Will this intercam thing work for me? Do they have fees? I was buying things in dollars at 12 and seeing pesos at 14 this last weekend......i still have a checkbook.........

Rosie, I was just thinking about all of this since pesos go a lot farther in Mexico than dollars. I belong to a credit union here and have no idea what the fees are to withdraw pesos. I am going to call my credit union to see if they are affiliated with any of the Mexican banks or to see if they will refund withdrawal fees. Will this intercam thing work for me? Do they have fees? I was buying things in dollars at 12 and seeing pesos at 14 this last weekend......i still have a checkbook.........
When I say I have an Intercam account, I don't mean I have money on deposit in their institution. I have friends who do, and they're all quite happy. I'm registered with them. I have filled out paperwork that makes me a regular client of theirs. They have pre-approved my U.S. checks based on my history with them and the fact that they're pretty sure I'm not going to bounce one. Before, whenever I wanted pesos I'd go to the ATM and withdraw the daily limit (for me, $9,000) and pay the service charges. Now, I call Intercam, tell Leonardo how much I want, give him the check number over the phone and he gets the cash ready for me. If there's any commission, it's negligible. I called him this morning simply because I wanted to have pesos bought at $14.15. If the amount I need is more than the amount they can give me in cash, they'll prepare a check for me to cash at the bank of my choice. Call Leonardo, Chari...he'll explain help you figure out how they can help the rate of exchange work in your favor.

And Roberto...Eduardo isn't the only one whose ears perked right up when reading your post!

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
I have a BBVA account up here and wondered what the fee is when I withdraw at the ATM at the BBVA in PP?

Chari...this doesn't answer you question directly...but I use that ATM on the corner of Sinaloa and Fremont (across from the Pemex) and pull pesos with my AZFCU (credit union)card.....the bank charges 38.85 pesos to pull money out (35 pesos Com..USO Cajero and 3.85 pesos IVA)...regardless of the amount....I don't remember exactly what the posted exchange rate at the bank was that weekend...but it was somewhere around 13.5...with the amount I pulled (1400 pesos), I got an "effective" exchange of 13.34 pesos per dollar. The credit union doesn't post any breakout of fees when they debit my account, so not sure what they charge, if anything. I generally use pesos for fuel and refills for my phone....

GV Jack

Snorin God
I don't know if this helps, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

"Many also charge an additional foreign exchange fee of 1-3% of the amount withdrawn.
Bank of America is a major exception - they charge $0 + 0% for withdrawals at Banco Santander ATMs only."

I found this to be true last time down. Don't remember the exchange rate. Hell, I don't remember what I did 10 minutes ago.

playaperro

El Pirata
I don't know if this helps, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

"Many also charge an additional foreign exchange fee of 1-3% of the amount withdrawn.
Bank of America is a major exception - they charge $0 + 0% for withdrawals at Banco Santander ATMs only."

I found this to be true last time down. Don't remember the exchange rate. Hell, I don't remember what I did 10 minutes ago.
The silver cougars told me at the Desert Diamond your been having trouble with your hearing aids, kind of getting mixed up with your suppository!

I have been using the ATM at Banorte. They charge 38 pesos to withdraw. Wells Fargo adds another $5 to do the transaction.
If you are only taking out $100 it gets real expensive. But I have my debit card limit at $1000 and will take that out and use it till it runs out.
Usually 2-3 trips worth.
Most my Mexican friends don't have bank accounts, Cash is king, especially, dollars now.

GV Jack

Snorin God
The silver cougars told me at the Desert Diamond your been having trouble with your hearing aids, kind of getting mixed up with your suppository!
Those old cougars' memory is worse than mine. Ever since they brought in that new fancy French Chef and raised the prices on my favorite ribs,
I quit going there. Besides, I don't need no stinkin suppositories. The meds I'm taking now do too good a job, dawgonnit. TMI?????

tortuga

My credit union in Phoenix charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. It is my understanding that MasterCard and Visa determine the exchange rate at the ATMs not the banks and that the rate posted in the window at the bank is the counter rate in the bank. Of course I was wrong twice already today so maybe I am misinformed.

I seem to always get .2-3ish pesos better than whats stated in the window at the bank.
Tortuga you are correct, we get the official rate used in currency transactions since Visa etc. use that rate for currency conversion.
I am finishing up a construction project on my house in Cholla and by getting close to 13.7- 14-1 pesos over the past 5 weeks and
with the going rate of 12.7-13 to 1, I saved myself over $700 due to the float we get by using a atm to get pesos.
My contractor wants $$ but gets pesos from me.
I used that savings to buy a mini split A/C for my house.