Best place to get Mexican car insurance

dry heat said:
Stuart said:
The "seriously" part had to do with how you all continue to rag on one another like a bunch of retards, NOT the importance of having insurance! Durrrrrrrrrrr.quote]

Hey dumb dumb, neither one of us is taking this sh*t seriously. it's all good fun, that is why you see neither of us hung up and/or exhasperated on some of these topics. If anything it is good entertainment. For example last night as I was having a hard time pushing out a turd I decided to reply to my buddy sub and it helped.
If you're having a hard time pushing out those turds....you ain't eatin' enough Mexican food!!!

S

Submarine

Glad I could help!

Corona? That explains a lot. Did that mold get to ya then?

joester

2 salty dawgs
maybe because I'm used to dealing with AAA, but we have all of our policies with them -
3 trucks, one rv and our homeowners policies. for our 1991 class C, it costs about $10/day when I buy the insurance on line for a trip to Mexico. The policy is the GE policy - so far (knocking on wood as I type), no claims to report. I have not looked to see how far south coverage goes -
it may not have covered us on our trip to Las Dunas, I'll look into it before our next trip for sure.
Good reading from all your experiences - thanks for the posts.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Kenny -
when might the next corvina hunt be? looks like late October is the earliest we can get down south, and not even sure about that yet. Thanksgiving is booked, but I can't wait that long to get back to the beaches.....

B

bahiatrader

I've found it more economical to buy my auto insurance annually In Rocky Point. If I let the policy lapse, I just buy a $15.00 one-day policy at the border and renew my policy when I get to town. It took me almost a year to collect on a collision policy once. Esta Mexico The land of mañana.

The one time I had an auto accident down there...I didn't have the type of policy that paid at US labor rates. The US company that did represent the Mexican insurance company had negotiated labor rates that were better then the Mexican rates (I think they paid at $44/hr).....but the service was quick, and even when additional damage was discovered, they covered it quickly with a "supplemental". I recall that I got the payment thru the American company at about the same time as my truck was ready at the body shop....somewhere around 2-3 weeks.

Ah, just when you all thought you had settled the insurance issue, along comes a real Mexican insurance agent to answer all questions. I read each post carefully (I am a bit obsessive about such things) and realized how many misconceptions there are about Mexican insurance. So, humor me and let's revive this topic, folks!

Jim

OK Here is one for you. I live here now but keep an address in Tucson and have my vehicles tagged in Arizona. I know that you can buy Arizona liability insurance here MUCH cheaper than you can in the States. If I buy an annual liability policy here, does the carrier have an ADOT number and will MVD accept it as valid to renew my tags or will they site me for no insurance and made me get the SR3 (or whatever it is called) insurance? I will need to renew my tags in a month or so.

Jim said:
OK Here is one for you. I live here now but keep an address in Tucson and have my vehicles tagged in Arizona. I know that you can buy Arizona liability insurance here MUCH cheaper than you can in the States. If I buy an annual liability policy here, does the carrier have an ADOT number and will MVD accept it as valid to renew my tags or will they site me for no insurance and made me get the SR3 (or whatever it is called) insurance? I will need to renew my tags in a month or so.
No Mexican insurance agent can sell you a policy (just liability or otherwise) for the States if the vehicle is registered in the U.S. We can sell tourist policies for Mexican vehicles traveling to the States, but are restricted because we aren't U.S. licensed for insurance. Lots of people who live here with American cars are in the same situation, not wanting to pay the higher rates for U.S. insurance.

E

El Feo

Jim said:
I've been down this road. For me this issue was intertwined with vehicle importation. You can own and drive a Mexican titled and registered vehicle as a non-citizen. I thought this might be a way to avoid expensive US insurance. If you import the vehicle, you only need Mex insurance, then day coverage when you cross. The last I knew, you could import a vehicle in one of two categories, a Frontier car or a National car. Vehicles at least 5 years old can be imported as a frontier car, which vehicles are restricted to regular use in the frontier zone and with a special permit for a limited number of days a year used outside the zone. Vehicles have had to be at least 10 years old to import as a National vehicle but last year ONLY 1998 vehicles were allowed to be imported in this category. The laws for importation have been modified as part of the NAFTA business and I have read that in 10 years you will be able to import any vehicle. The last time I checked, 6 months ago or so, no one knew which vehicles could be imported in 2009.

These issues arise when you live here and want a newer vehicle that you cannot import legally (Less than 5 years old) and or don't want to pay the large price of a new vehicle here or just don't want to pay the $800 or so to import a vehicle that can be imported,

You can keep your AZ plates active and legal with no insurance if you certify (don't recall the form name) that the vehicle is kept out of the country. Of course you cannot legally drive it across the border, but you have no problems in Mexico, you have a current and valid registration. This is one way to get around the importation problems with newer vehicles and avoiding the high cost of buying in Mexico. I keep 2 vehicles, one with AZ insurance and Mex Ins. and the other only Mexican Ins, both are registered and titled in AZ. I cross only with the AZ insured vehicle of course, but have cut insurance expenses in about half.

Up until a couple of months ago Portugal was selling what was represented as a day policiy for US registered vehicles, effective only in the US. I would buy the number of days I was across. They no longer offer what may have in fact not been a policy at all :lol: :lol:

C

cactusamigo

Rosy: Your statement: "No Mexican insurance agent can sell you a policy (just liability or otherwise) for the States if the vehicle is registered in the U.S." is VERY important for Americans living in Mexico with vehicles registered in the U.S. A few years back I was not aware of this fact. My vehicles had Arizona registrations, and I had filed "deinsured" affidavits with AZ, since the vehicles were located out of the state. This is necessary if ones desires to maintain current AZ registration for a vehicle that is not located in and will not be driven in AZ.

Desiring to drive my vehicle across the border into AZ, I purchased a six month liability policy from Portugal. It wasn't until sometime later that I found out that the policy I purchased was worthless. Fortunately, I returned to Mexico without incident. Should I have had an incident, I would have been in deep trouble with the state, and all my assets would have been at risk. Liability insurance in AZ is valid only if issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in AZ.

I understand completely. I started my business almost 2 years ago after a 30-yr real estate career. The preparation and education took two years, so it was 4 yrs ago that I began the transition. The girls who work for me are bilingual and probably better at actually writing the policies than I am (they are certainly faster at the typewriter).

What the hell good is it knowing my business if I don't use it to help my clients? I won't knock my competitors (in public), but I will say that the day I pay a claim from my own account...well, it just ain't gonna happen.

Most of my clients were friends beforehand or they become friends after they buy. Kinda like the old-fashioned way of doing business. It suits me.